What's new

Say it ain't so: Kobe Bryant arrested for felony sexual assault? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Talk about speculation based on no facts!
True Crawdaddy, but I'm just trying to visualize the way this is going to unfold. Despite my comments about the case, I haven't formed any opinions about Kobe's guilt or innonence. I'm simply looking at what evidence could be introduced and whether it would be admissible.

The only thing we really know is that the two had sex. The physical evidence apparently shows it and Kobe has now confessed to that. From there, the issue is whether it was coerced or consensual. My point was that it is almost impossible for Kobe to prove it was consensual (lacking a video recording or something like it) because the very idea of "consensual sex" has evolved to the point that the woman must give continual consent (or conversely, can stop the process) practically up until the male climaxes.

I suppose that could be the basis for an entirely separate discussion. Perhaps that will be the one silver lining in this trial--furthering the debate about what "no means no" really means.

(Also, to clarify, I know the burden of proof is not on Kobe to prove consent but on the prosecution to prove coercion.)

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator

According to the accuser's friends, who seem to be popping up all over national tv, she told them that she brought something up to Kobe's room and he just "snapped." In my opinion, this holds a lot less water than if she said they started to have intercourse and she changed her mind, but Kobe wouldn't stop. I think it's gonna be very hard for a jury to believe that Kobe would just all of a sudden snap and decide to forcefully rape her.

As a sidenote, one of Kobe's ex-girlfriends was on an LA tv station and stated Kobe was always a gentleman to her and he would never do anything like this. She even said that if the defense needed a character witness, she would gladly participate. Somehow, I don't think the media is going to jump all over this :rolleyes. Hopefully, it will end up being a case like Cees mentioned above.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think the accuser is going to face a very tough time in the media and press... and, to be honest, I've always viewed that as a very bad thing.

Having been a victim of violent crime myself, and having worked with people who were sexually harrassed/raped.. I can tell you that their life is very difficult, and it's one of those things that causes many cases to never go to trial. Already, websites have went up basically attacking this girl. Rather sad.

While the law provides that you are innocent until proven guilty, it doesn't provide that the mass attacks on those who make the accussations are fair game. But, time and time again, in every type of sexual harrassment case, we see it happen. It's sad everytime it happens. Whether the person accussed is a sports athlete, business tycoon, politician, or rock star, in the eyes of the law, they are the same as the rest of us.. and the equal to those making the accussation. At the point it goes to trial, it means that someone has been convinced of the accussation.

Years ago, a rape incident occurred with a girl who had been through serious bouts of depression, and as a teen, had tried to kill themselves. None of those events had anything to do with what happened to her that night in February. She was just a random target with a bad past, just like many of us. But for a few weeks in court, she was the victim again, portrayed as a psycho path who was making things up.

Had it not been for the physical evidence, the perpetrator probably would have never served a day.

I'm hoping that Kobe Bryant is innocent. At the same time, I will wait until the court date comes, and listen to the evidence.. and debating the girl's past is not always evidence.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Why are they prosecuting this guy when there are kids downloading MP3s from the Internet? Where are the priorities?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
As is the case, physical evidence is important in garnering a conviction. I should have phrased that differently.. had it not been for the type of physical evidence that was present, there would not have been a conviction.

What I find negative about all of these situations is the trial underwhich the victim undergoes. As I've posted elsewhere, the use of the internet to list her home phone #, address, etc. ammounts to nothing but harrassment in an attempt to deride justice. It is used primarily as a scare tactic to prevent people from pressing charges by making what happens to them after the event worse the prosecuting.

I've seen it. I've seen women with enough physical evidence that they could have walked into court and easily had a conviction. But they were scared enough of the societal reprocussions, that people would refer to them negatively, that their past would be exploited.

Thank god in Colorado, none of that information is admissable in court, so for all the posts on her past actions, it's not admissable, and all that can - and should - be evaluated is the events that happened and evidence to prove and disprove them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To be filed in the "What was he thinking?" category:

Kobe became a father just 6 months ago (according to "The Sports Reporters" on ESPN this morning). Man, talk about being stupid stupid stupid. One of the reporters, Lupica I think, described the look on Kobe's face at the press conference as a boy who just got caught and had no good answers for the misdeed.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: I agree.

This whole story reminds me of something I recently read, in regards to celebrities in general.

We do not know these people... at all.

"Great athlete" does not equate to "great human being." Even if Bryant is innocent of the charge, he's already made a huge mistake. But, he's in the company of other sports icons who did so as well, including Magic and Jordan, unfortunately.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He's obviously too young and immature to have gotten married and had a child. He apparently has no respect or love for his wife, as seen by him shredding his marriage vows after such a short time, or any thoughts about responsibility to his newborn child.

I'd think the wife's just being supportive until the conclusion of this episode, upon which she'll sue him for divorce and all the financial compensation she can get based on his infidelity and all the public embarassment and shame he has brought onto her and their child.

His career is in jeopardy and I'd assume most sponsors wouldn't want an admitted adulterer endorsing their products. If he's found guilty of the assault charges, he will be history.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

OK, I'll qualify that to "any sponsors with morals wouldn't want an admitted adulterer endorsing their products."

Admittedly, that's probably a very short list considering modern corporate culture. Beyond that, it's up to the individual consumer if they want to support the products that put money in the pockets of such people.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
He's obviously too young and immature to have gotten married and had a child. He apparently has no respect or love for his wife, as seen by him shredding his marriage vows after such a short time, or any thoughts about responsibility to his newborn child.
Walk a mile in their shoes...

I am very good friends with a third-rate rock band (who'll remain nameless). Not top-100 Billboard stuff (although they had one hit which stayed near the top for quite a while) and they haven't released an album in years.

Still, when they tour, they get all sorts of hot young things throwing themselves at the bandmembers. And again, these guys aren't even what I'd call celebs, at least not high profile ones. Look, I love my girlfriend of four years, and plan on marrying her. I'm 29. But even I have to admit if I were in the shoes of *just my friends in the band* (not to mention what Kobe must be getting tempted with on a minute-to-minute basis) I sure can't throw stones.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
My instincts are to side with the woman on this case. Kobe and the evidence have already established that hanky panky occurred. I would assume the young woman was thoroughly advised of what she would go through if she proceeded with her claim.

I can't imagine her continuing with the charge unless she really believed in what she was doing. If she was in it for the money then couldn't she have gotten it by just threatening Kobe to go public with their tryst? I am sure she could have gotten hush money from him. Instead she's going to go all the way by having a trial and enduring the months of public scrutiny. You don't do that unless you really think you're in the right. Or you're really stupid.

I can't believe that no one has bust out a Sprite joke. Fine, I'll take a stab at it:

Sprite has renewed Kobe's contract as their spokesman for their "Obey Your Thirst" campaign. Shooting for the new commercial spot will begin next week with the hopes that it will be ready to premier on Court TV during the first day of the trial.:D

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Mark Fitzsimmons,
Why don't you hand out Kobe's home phone number while you're at it. :rolleyes

I can't imagine her continuing with the charge unless she really believed in what she was doing. If she was in it for the money then couldn't she have gotten it by just threatening Kobe to go public with their tryst? I am sure she could have gotten hush money from him. Instead she's going to go all the way by having a trial and enduring the months of public scrutiny. You don't do that unless you really think you're in the right. Or you're really stupid.
I agree. I'm sure that Kobe would have paid through the nose to keep her quiet. Especially since the "affair" (on his part) seems to be true.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's not like people have been publicly falsely accused of rape before.

--
Holadem

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Hmmm, I'm making a wild assumption here but I'm guessing the media won't cover a Holadem rape story as much as a Kobe rape story.

Plus, I'm not ruling out the "she's really stupid" theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks