What's new

Say Ed, Craig...got more music fer 'ya!... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Gents,

Thought you might like to check these music videos available on DVD:

Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin Live From The Record Plant (Image, ID572SERDVD)...

GRP All-Stars Live From The Record Plant (Image, ID5719ERDVD)...

Buddy Rich And His Band: The Lost West Side Story Tapes (Hudson Music, HD-Z-WS01).

The first two recordings (from the same live performing session; hey, I didn't make 'em! Also have the laserdisc and VHS tape versions and they too differ in content. Go figure :frowning: ) are sonically very dynamic and transparent.
Listen to Abraham Laboriel's electric bass guitar lines in particular...even though bass doesn't go that deep is very articulated and distinct nonetheless.
Of course, performances proceed from virtuoso musicians (check out Diane Schuur's voice for instance; she's an spectacular vocalist!), which are great imho.

Budy Rich's DVD was actually produced by Gary Reber, of Widescreen Review fame, and who has a short interview in which he explains the hows and the whys this 1985 live performance recording project came to be (to be found in the bonus features section).

Both DTS and Dolby Digital tracks are available (in 4.0).
The recording isn't as dynamic as I think it should be, but the listener does get to hear just how good the old Crown PZM microphones were in picking up all sorts of sounds; check out just how natural the acoustics of the recording venue sound; are very realistic!

The video picture quality (standard resolution NTSC, 4:3 aspect ratio) is so-so but good enough for government work.

I did discover a weird sonic anomaly, though; from the solos menu I clicked on the electric bass guitarist's solo icon and...holy smokes!...the volume level is much hotter than the regular program material by several dbs, so had to quickly reach for the remote control of the Pioneer receiver to lower it down (from -10 to -20!).

Why am I recommending this recording? Well, simply because of the very natural sounding brass section, Fender electric bass guitar, and drum kit sonics (just listen to those beautiful sounding Zildjian cymbals!) as well as for the recording venue's acoustics themselves.

Check these music videos and see what you think... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Ditto - thanks for the recommendation, Frank.

Zildjian Istanbul - the best cymbal in the world. Paiste Signature - the "other" best cymbal in the world. :)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ______

Zildjian Istanbul - the best cymbal in the world. Paiste Signature - the "other" best cymbal in the world.
__________________________________________________ ______

Ed,

...don't forget Avedis cymbals (made by certain folk who were from the Zildijian family): they also sound great! :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks