What's new

SAWM500 novice review (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after finally tweaking the sub and finding what I think is the right spot for it in my apartment(I am very limited as to where I can put this sub). Since I don't get too many options, I feel this spot is the best I'll get. My setup currently consists of
Elite 45tx
Paradigm Studio 40's, 20's, CC, ADP 170's
CP-72

All of this was done after I did the mod, here is the link that I used to do the mod(just fyberfil stuffed into the box). http://home.columbus.rr.com/jetersne...faq2.htmBefore the mod it was too boomy and I couldn't bear to listen to it, of course it could have something to do with the placement of the sub. Anyways...

First, I threw in the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS DVD and wow my system came alive, the drums punch, I can hear every tone of the bass guitar or organ. Finally, this was what I was missing. In the intro to Life in the Fast Lane, I can feel the drums kick, and pound. I was amazed at how musical this sub is, compared to what it was.

Next was LoTR FoTR EE, muahahaha its like I just heard it for the first time, the sub held up quite well for this movie, which in short is basically 3.5 hours of bass with 2 minute intervals of dialog here and there. Granted I didn't get to truly test the subs output. But I can tell you I would be getting complaints from people on the far end of the apartment building, and from my girlfriend if I did. It rumbled!

Sleepy Hollow, T2(first 5 minutes), Matrix(helicopter/mini gun scene)The Haunting (Chpt 10), Fleetwood Mack DVD/A, it all came alive. I watched the first chapter of SW AoTC's and it rumbled my apartment, of course it didn't nock pictures off of my walls but hey, I live in an apartment. If I lived in a house I might've well turned it up so loud that it could have.

The one draw back I noticed. It kind of falls apart in the speed bass. I threw in some faster metal music, and for the most part it held up well, but lost definition in the faster double bass drums. It couldn't keep up and sounded more like one continuous rumble. But, I haven't heard too many subs that can hold up to that type music well. Especially in a ported box.

Granted its no SVS or HSU or what have you. But after a $2 mod it transformed itself from a boom box to a great music and HT sub. Of course its not the best of anything, but to us who either don't have the room, the money, or just can't turn it up as loud as we want to(myself). I think its as good as anything in its price range and then some, after the mod(of course).

I imagine its just as good if not better than the SAWM40(I haven't heard one to date, I've only read reviews of how good they are). The SAWM500 may be $40 more than the SAWM40, but you get a cleaner, little less 'cheap' look than the 40 IMO. It matches up with my black laminate Paradigm Studio HT perfectly(definite PLUS). You also get an extra 30w of power or in peak power maybe an extra 60w. In all I think this sub will be just as good as the SAWM40 if not much better after a $2 mod and tweaking with placement and receiver settings. I must say I am normally biased toward Sony and usually refuse to buy most of their products, besides the Sony Cyber Shot F707 I own. But, they can pump out some good products when they want to, and I find this to be one of them. I do wish I could chisel off the Sony name on the front of the sub though, DOH!

This is my first attempt at a review so please bear with me, I'm new to this. If there are any more things you would like to know about this sub, or something I haven't covered that your curious about, let me know in this thread or PM me.

Of course YMMV

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Matt

The power increase is minor and won't equate to any major SPL certainly. Any gain in clean power/headroom is always welcome though no matter how small in may be! Very impressive to keep up with the digims in your system and you sound very pleased. Your is the first review I belive for the new 500.
Good job!

The one thing most will certainly notice aside from Matts fine review above, covered nicley I add, is it's New Look.
Much better than the older Sony-40 and even a choice in color if you can find it. ~Black or Maple~

Glad to see another entry level affordable sub that appears to far out perform it's price point (with the mod) is still out their. The PE~DLS-10, Sony-40, & the very large Audio Source-15, seemed to be the budget performace winners in this catagory. The DLS is currently out of production though, but a new Sub is in the works.

Way to go Sony!
The newbies and those with space constraints or possibly on a limited budget are sure to love you for continuing to filling a very needed place in the market.

Very nice review and I am sure many are listen to your every word Matt....

Regards
Geoff

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Very impressive to keep up with the digims in your system and you sound very pleased.
I am pleased, for now! I don't get to crank since i'm living in an apartment and the girlfriend always gets lippy with the "sure can you here that?!" remark. But it defiantely fills out the sound and blends very well with the Digm's. It took quite bit of tweaking with placement, and fooling with the X-over settings on the 45tx also, but I think I have it where I want it.

I always liked the 40's for for HT but on the music they were always lacking the bass, they sound great but I like to feel the drums.

I just played some XBOX Ghost Recon and it sounded awesome! The bombs going off in the background rumbled, the gunshots punched nice and tight! I think it was worth my $202, and good enough till I find a house.

Thanks for the comments.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i listened to the sawm500 at bb today,

it may just be me or the sound rooms acoustics, but it seemed the 500 sounded a bit floppy at high volumes more so then the sawm40 at higher volumes,

im wondering if its the new amp or the new cabinet, the majority of the sound is the same, but at the higher level volumes the sound difference between the two are very apparent.

im not basing this on a fair comparison though, so its not fair for me to judge this quickly, but i did notice the sub get a bit "floppy" souding as it gets louder.

drexel

Agent
Yes, I also listened to the WM500 the other day at BB and noticed the exact same thing you did. I have owned a WM40 for about a month now after first listening to it in the exact same place the 500 is in now at BB. Although it has basic sound output characteristically near identical to the WM40 just by ear, it most definitely seemed a bit below par at higher volumes... more so than the WM40 at least. There was no significant improvement at all over the WM40 from what I heard while listening to my best buy's new rap track demo. I specifically don't recall the boom (not boom in the muddy, crappy audio sense) the WM40 had that previously impressed me. Again, this was all just a vague first impression of the sub as I have never really sat the 40 and 500 side by side.

By the way, my.sony.com still has the 500 for $170 + something like 3000 pts. I got 4180 pts in about 15 minutes by just clicking on ads, creating a wishlist, etc... so dont worry about that part if you want the amp for 170 shipped.

DaveRHend

Auditioning
I am thinking of buying the WM500 (since I can't find any place that has the WM40 in stock). I noticed that the link above for the poly fill mod is for the WM40. Is the process for doing this to the WM500 similar? I'm a totally newbie when it comes to doing this kind of stuff and I don't want to mess up my sub.

Thanks!

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Hey-Dave,

Yes-the-process-is-exactly-the-same.-Just-fill-out-from-the-walls-about-2or3-inches.

My-spacebar-just-broke-so-I-need-to-use-dash's.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
For those interested, Sony also is making the SA-WX700 Sub, for not to awful much more.

Around 236.00 shipped, and this was just a quick search.

More power, 250-watts @.08% digital amp and runs Dual 10's. I have not seen one other than pic's, but looks like a base reflex (Push Pull) design.
1 forward firing 10" driver and one bottom mounted 10".... BUT a circle disc is under their which leads me to believe the driver is mounted ~{firing into the cabinet}~.
If this is true and it's a push pull, it should be a much "cleaner sounding" sub

I'd bet money it's a push pull...

It's small, something like 15.5" x 18" x 16" and weighs in at 62-lbs...
Freq response 20Hz-160Hz

Have not seen anyone mention the 700, so I thought I'd throw it out there...

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks