SAWM40 keeps clipping. Please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Jan 8, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I have my system all hooked up and i think its set up right. When i turn up a bass heavy cd to around -30db with bass 3/4 up. The speakers and sub or sometimes just the sub clip. I have

Kenwood vr-507

N26 mains

NCenter

Sawm40

N24 surrounds

Im playing through a ps2.

1. I have everything kooked up correctly and set the speakers to normal size and the sub to on. Im playing off a burned cd which might be the problem?

2. I also have the speakers hooked up with monster wire with pins. I tighted them into the Banana plug wholes. The speakers and reciever dont have pin wholes, only Banana. Could this be the problem?

3. I have the sub hooked up with a monster cable sub cable. Also will i get better sound if i strip the pins off and use the bare wire?

4. There are 2 knobs on the bass. What should i set them both to to get best bass sound.

Lastly, could someone help me setup everything to sound nice. Give me some tips or anything.

2. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

When you say the bass is 3/4 up, are you refering to the power level adjustment, or the bass tone control on the receiver?

You really need an Avia disk and SPL meter to get a real close calibration.

3. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

You sure the Sony sub is not causing vibrations that are making your CD-player skip? You mentioned your mains sometime skip as well.

Usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.

4. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I have the bass know on the Sub turned to 3/4 and the other button (lfe) turned to 3/4.

5. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

Go to radio shack and buy an analog SPL meter for around $30, and get a copy of VE or AVIA and follow the speaker and sub calibration instructions. I believe on your receiver, that "normal" speaker settings means "small", so it sounds like that is configured properly. If "normal" means "large", then reset it so that all your speakers are set to "small" so that all LFE and bass is being sent to the sub. Make sure that the sub is set to ON or whatever setting on the Kenwood sends all bass and LFE to the subwoofer output. Set the sub's x-over all the way up to the highest frequency position to get the sub's x-over out of the way. Your receiver is handling bass management in this setup, so that's what you want. The cable you have is fine. Make sure it's properly connected and making a tight connection. If the cable is directional, make sure the arrows on the cable are pointing towards the sub. Make sure all your speaker wires are making nice and tight connections at the receiver and speakers. Make sure any compression screws are nice and tight.

Subs push a lot of air. I'd bet anything yours is set way too high, like mine was when I first got it before I callibrated it properly. It sounded like crap before calibration.

My first sub, the same as yours, was set above the 50% mark with the receivers sub level set to +something db before calibration. After calibration, my receiver is set to -7db sub output with the gain on the sub set to around the 30% mark, and that level is a bit higher than reference levels. Note that my settings won't work for you .. the only way to set yours up properly is with a meter and a reference source.

It sounded terrible (distinct, directional, noticable and "boomy") before calibration. After calibration it blended perfectly with the rest of my system and everything sounded much better. The difference was like day and night .. prior to calibration you could hear the sub as a distinct component, after calibration, you can't hear it as a distinct component, but if you turn it off you will notice a huge difference. Properly calibrated, you should not notice any distinct sound coming "directly" from the sub, but it should be working and contributing to the rest of the sound being produced by your system.

For the phase switch, on the Sony it is just a two-position switch, try it with some material on both positions, and leave it in the position that sounds the best to you, once you get it calibrated. If you change it, you probably should recalibrate it with the sound meter. Once calibrated to reference levels, you can adjust it up or down, just a little, to suit your taste. You can do that either using the receiver sub level control or the sub's gain/volume control. If you do that, try to remember where the reference settings are so you can restore them if you need to.

Finally, there's a ton of posts here and on other boards about sub placement. You can search around and try to find the best place for yours, if you are able to move it around the room, recalibrating when you move it. On one board, the author of a post suggested a sort of reverse test to find the best place for a sub. He suggested placing the sub in the listening position and then finding the place in the room with the loudest sound, and that's the correct place for the sub in that room for that listening position. I have no idea if that works or not. In my case, I just have the sub corner loaded in the one place in my living room where I was willing to put it, pointed towards the listening area, with the sub calibrated at reference levels in the listening area.

-David

6. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

3/4 is too high. As David X states, should not be higher than half, between 1/4 and half for almost all systems and output at the receiver in the negative. I have one of these Sony's and normally is set at 1/3 output at subwoofer and a -5 output at the receiver. If I need more output for a particular CD/DVD I just crank it up at the receiver for that playing and turn it back again.

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I also believe 3/4 is too high, I would back it off to at least 1/2 and set your receiver subwoofer volume at at least 0 and probably in the negative.

I run a JBL PB-12 and I run it a little less than halfway and run my Kenwood VR-407 subwoofer level at -4 (as per SPL calibration). After calibration, you will be surprised at how clean your bass will be, now my bass is perfect, I can play any material at reference level with no bottoming out or distortion, and still literally shake the walls.