SAWM-40 Help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Feb 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Hi ive had this setup since Christmas that i put together for my dorm room

Kenwood VR-507

Sony SAWM-40 sub

JBL N26 fronts

JBL Ncenter

JBL N24 backs

I have evrything hooked up great and everyhing kicks ass for movies but when it comes to certain cd's the bass either isnt there or it sounds like it distorts when i turn it up. I have the LFE(cut off freq.) on the back to the sub turned all the way up to 120hz (i believe thats right) and the bass nob a little more than 1/2. On the reciever the speakers are set to normal. Maybe its just. What should i do to get the sub set correctly? This question might seem dumb but any help or info would be great. Can i turn the sub up more or leave it where it is?

I sometimes listen to cd's at -30 - -25 db's in circle surround. I didnt do the reference thing everyone says to do because basically i have no clue how! any info would help

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do you have the same problem with music in stereo? I found that when I use 6ch stereo, bass becomes flat on my Marantz SR6200. In CS5.1 though, it seems ok, but still less than true 5.1 material or stereo music. This is most likely due to something in the how the DSP redistributes the sound. I prefer to listen to music with no DSP, and in stereo from CDs.

I thought it would be more common to turn DOWN the sub when going from movies to music, as I do, and I've seen others comment on.

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

How are you connecting the sub to the receiver? Are you using the LFE/Subwoofer output from the receiver or are you running your fronts L/R speaker outputs to the sub and routing the speakers from there. You should be running the sub from the LFE output, with the speakers set as SMALL or whatever the equivalent is on your receiver. Does your receiver have an adjustable crossover? If not, you won't have to/be able to do anything about it. The crossover setting on the sub itself will only come into play if you run your fronts through the sub. If you're not getting enough bass, check the channel level for the sub in your receiver's set-up menus. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else clarified.

4. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I have all my speakers running into the Reciever itself with a Monster sub cable running from Line in the on the sub to the Subwoffer preout on the reciever. I believe thats right.

5. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

Some receivers will not route bass from the mains (left and right stereo channels) to the subs unless the mains are set to "small". If that's the case with your receiver, and "normal" means "not small", then you are getting bass from the sub from the LFE (.1) channel when you watch movies (so bottom sound is there), but when you play stereo CDs, the sub is getting nothing and the mains are handling the bass, which could mean weak bass depending on what your mains are.

Hope this is helpful.

Alan

6. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

Oops, forgot to say, if that's the scenario, setting your mains to "small" will result in the sub getting the bass when you play music and your problem will be solved. Keep the sub crossover where it is, the reciever handles that.

Alan