What's new

SAWM-40 Driver Swap? (1 Viewer)

Kaaran

Auditioning
This is my first real venture into any sort of DIY (if you can even call it that) except for fiddling around with broken speakers. I just bought a Sony SAWM-40 from sears for $150 w/price adjustment to Best Buy's price. I didn't want to spend too much on a sub to be used in a college environment...performance is good for a budget sub, and I would like to keep the overall investment low...
...but I am always looking for an improvement. That said, I was thinking I would swap the driver with an Adire Audio Shiva MKII for $120. After corresponding with Adire, I decided against it (for price reasons it would negate the whole point of buying a budget sub, sony box tuned too high, boost in sony amp at undesirable freq.).
I want to keep the price low, and I came across (for $30 each) A 12in. Sony X-plod Driver (with the red motif), and a 12in. Pioneer (which is made to look like metal with little bumps on it, black surround), which supposedly is made to play very deep.
Would it be a good idea to do a driver swap with either the sony or the pioneer?
Would the fact that they are car subs (4 ohm) ruin the stock Sony amp? I am thinking I would get more power out of the amp because of the ohm ratings but I am afraid I will ruin it.
I need enclosure experts! Does anyone think the sony box is tuned too high for either of these drivers?
I can put in one of these at a nominal cost, and I would appreciate any feedback I can get. I don't think I am ready for true DIY, so I'd like to start here.
Thanks!
-Kaaran.
P.S. They are Demos so I am trying to find out the model #s, sorry for the lack of information, I am working on it.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I would not suggest swapping those subs with the SAWM-40 driver. This sub is one of the best bang for the buck subs out there. If you are not happy with its sound, head over to audioreview.com. Under this subs reviews, there are some very helpful mods to make it sound more desirable.
Here is the link to the SAWM-40s reviews: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...ct_48108.shtml
If you still are not satisfied with this sub, I highly recommend taking it back and save money for a much better sub. You can't be too picky with a sub you only paid $150.00 for!
------------------
God bless :usa:
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Kaaran

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply!
Please don't get me wrong, I like the sub, in fact I think its great! I am definitely keeping it, but like all of us, I am ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS looking for a little MORE...for a nominal thirty bucks, I wouldn't mind switching the drivers if it would give me some benefit.
You really think that stuffing this thing will give me more than swapping? Or swapping AND stuffing?

Kaaran

Auditioning
p.s. Its more of a something fun to do/experiment than unhappiness thing..
...yet I don't want to ruin a good thing by putting in a driver that will kill the amp or yield worse performance.
ANY feedback is helpful!
Thanks!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
IMO, I would not consider putting either of those subs in the enclosure. If you do end up replacing, compare the specs of those subs to the specs of the Sony driver, and pic a sub that has "better" specs. This may take a while to find the right one, but its better than running out and buying a sub and being dis-satisfied with it.
Wasting time is better than wasting money!
Why don't you first put stuffing in the enclosure and see what you think? It's pretty cheap and very easy!
Good luck with what ever you do though! Hope you end up getting the sound you're looking for!
------------------
God bless :usa:
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Kaaran

Auditioning
Thanks JN! Point well taken...I wouldn't dream of swapping for the same quality driver. And if you think I wouldn't be taking a step up, I'll take your word.
About stuffing the box: Generally, what kind of results would that yield? Lower frequency response? Would that attenuate output by any means??
I see what they are saying on AudioReview, but I'd like an expert's opinion...and any suggestions on the type of filling to get? A certain "brand"? Overstuff, Understuff? Glue, Tape, Staple??
I want to do this RIGHT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks