Saw

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon B NY, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

Anyone find any alternative region DVD's for Saw? I've seen the unrated R2 version...but I heard (either r3 or 4) will have a really good unrated edition. This is the cover:

http://www.houseofjigsaw.com/board/a...entid=72&stc=1

Can someone help me out? I tried searching some sites but found nothing. Thanks!

- Jonathan

2. David*R>Morris

I ordered the Japanese edition which will be the uncut version with a DTS track.

3. Jon B NY

David - where did you order it from, how much is it and when does it come out?

Thanks!

4. David*R>Morris

I got mine at Amazon Japan cause I have a big order with them and I have everything coming at once saving money on shipping. It is going to be around 33 dollars for Saw. It is being released on March 11.

Here are a couple of more places selling it

CD Japan and Yes Asia

Both of these sellers are at 38 dollars or so.

Hope this helps.

PS- I tried posting links but the site would not let me since I have not posted 15 times or more.

5. Jon B NY

Damn...double the price for 2 minutes worth of footage. It's so tempting though. I really wish I could get some insight on the British release. That appears to be the next best option since for (about 40 bucks) I might as well buy the American and then double dip on the Uncensored double dip when Saw 2 comes out in October (since this is obviously the course of action for the studio).

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

With Saw 2 being filmed, I would not be surprised if the unrated version was released to coincide with that movie (scheduled for Oct. '05, I believe).

7. David*R>Morris

There have been some reviews of the US disc of Saw and they are pretty negative so I am hoping that the Japanese disc will be a lot better. As far as the British disc goes it will still cost about 27.00 dollars since the dollar is pretty weak against the pound.

8. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

How disappointing. Oh well, annother rental title for me. I saw this in the theater and liked it. However, I dont like the tactics and practices of these studios. John, why not just rent the US version until the double dip version is released? why spend $27 to $40. on a title that you probably wont watch more than 3 times between now and then. if you paid $4 per rental. that comes out to $12., sure you wont Own it, but you save $ in the long run. If part 2 is any good, I may wait to own them until the box set comes out. I just dont play ball with the studios anymore. It also helps that my good friend buys every major title release of interest, so I borrow them from him.

9. Jon B NY

Jean - I was considering this because it really is bull what the studio does to us nowadays...but I realized I'll probably watch this film a good 9-10 times over the next few months. I enjoyed it A LOT. lol.

But by buying into the international market for this film...it hurts the US studios just as much (if not more...because then I won't even buy the Unrated version in Oct.)...and they really deserve it.

10. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

if its a movie you must have then I totally understand the double dipping. hell I had to own Clerks (10th anniversary) too. I never thought about international titles not helping the US Studios revenue. Oh well, they are only alienating themselves. They probably see it as "only the technical savvy go international with their purchases", and dont mind because they more than compensate for the money lost by all the Joe Schmo's who havent seen through their tactics yet.

11. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Some studios distribute their films overseas, so they would see this revenue. Warner and Fox come to mind.

12. Jon B NY

The UK distributor is a UK only distributor I believe, and that's why it's coming out unrated. It's something to that nature. Someone posted the reason why in the Saw review forum.

Either way...I'm really sick of this. It's not even like it's a substantial amount of footage...it's like 2 minutes (I believe?), why can't I just get it now? Why do they feel the need to wait and hype it ridiculously and unfairly (since it's only two minutes!!). If it was a decent amount of footage I'd buy both just to have both cuts, that's how much I enjoyed this film. But that's not the case. Two minutes of gore isn't worth repurchasing the DVD.

What really sucks is that there are going to be so many suckers who are going to buy into this scheme, and the studio is actually going to make lots of money off of it.

This is why I like my region free player and the choice of the International market. [​IMG]

13. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

I have the UK disc here now and hope to watch it by the weekend.

From everything I've read the UK cut is also darker and more brooding apparently. Whatever that means. There will also be a Japanese DTS uncut disc in March and a Region 3 (much cheaper).

It looks like the US got Saw Lite due to the MPAA.

Go multiregion and take control! [​IMG]

14. Daniel Windsor

I was just over at Amazon and look what I found:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007LEJNQ
    Uncut version of the main feature
    'Bite The Hand That Bleeds' music video from Fear Factory
    Unrated version of the music video
    'Sawed Off' featurette

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006GVKH0
    Audio commentary from the film's writer and director
    'Bite The Hand That Bleeds' music video by Fear Factory
    'Making Of The Music Video' featurette

Well well.

15. Jon B NY

Daniel - did you obtain the uncut UK disc? Or do you have the regular one that amazon has the cover art for? If you have the unrated one...can you please tell me if the cover is the same, and how the Sawed Off feature is?

16. Daniel Windsor

The disc I have is a rental so it has no artwork. I never knew about the 3 versions in the UK until a few hours ago so I never thought to look at the disc labelling closely.

It did say "Saw" but I don't recall anything about "cinema cut", "uncut/unrated" or anything else. I'll check later. If it's the US version I'll not be watching it as I've been buidling myself up to sseeing the UK cinema version.

I shall just have to buy the bloody thing.

So to update the UK has:

Uncut UK cinema version
    • UPC Number: 5017239192999
    • Catalogue Number: EDV9299
    • Approx. Running Time: 102 minutes

Rental
    • UPC Number: 5017239140594
    • Catalogue Number: EDR4059
    • Approx. Running Time: 99 minutes

Sell through with audio commentary [US version]
    • UPC Number: 5017239192807
    • Catalogue Number: EDV9280
    • Approx. Running Time: 99 minutes

It's not looking good for my rental disc. All retailers have the artwork mixed up too. Idiot distributor (Entertainment) should have these things fixed months in advance.

They are a bunch of arseholes www.entertainment-film.com They own that address as they use it for email but there's nothing about their film catalogue. EIV (as they were known) have a very bad name in the UK DVD community. For good reasons.

Someone want to phone them +44 [0]20 7930 7744

Go on [​IMG]

17. Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast Stunt Coordinator

According to this site the difference between R version and unrated is only 8 (EIGHT) seconds !!!
    DVD Compare - SAW

18. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Yeah but does that take into account PAL speedup. A PAL movie should be 5 percent shorter then its NTSC counterpart. So the uncut movie may actually be about 5 minutes longer.

19. Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast Stunt Coordinator

Yes it does not take into account PAL speed up because there is none because I am comparing PAL with PAL.
    R rated PAL version is 8 seconds shorter than the UNCUT PAL version released here in the UK.
    Hope that clarifies things.
    by the way I thought it was 4% speed up?
    But here in the UK there is no awesome DTS track....