What's new

Saw my Sonosub in half? (1 Viewer)

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I just got finished with my dual Shiva Sonosub. It's 24" diameter and 7 feet tall. Volume is about 600L. My room is about 12' square, and because of the way the doorways on the room are, my listening position is in a corner, TV in opposite corner, and my sub is in the corner to my right(when I'm in my listening position on the couch).
Now to the question. The bass coming from the sub seems very directional.
Would it help if I saw it half and place half in the corner to my left? Would this just cause more problems. I also thought about placing it behind my TV in the corner, but was worried about the powerful bass shaking my DVD's off the shelf and causing problems with my DVD player and other electronics.
Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Moving your subs to different locations will create a whole mess of problems relating to nulls etc.
What is your cross over at? Im guessing you have it at 120-150 try it down at 80. The higher the frequency the easier it is to locate the source.
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
Link Removed
The Family Units

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Like Gregg said, it sounds like it's crossed over a little high and/or has to shallow a crossover slope. Port noise could also make location obvious.
------------------
Link Removed
I prefer to listen to my music in its Original Aspect Ratio: Stereo.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
My Crossover is set at 80. From my calculation in LspCAD the port speeds shouldn't be higher than 15 m/s at any frequency( which I thought was low enough). I don't think it's just a mind trick either, maybe it is though. My floor is a suspended(meaing there is a basement) hardwood floor, and it is old house. Could my sub "couple" into the flooring and cause this creaking which would directionalize the sound.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sure, anything resonating near the sub could do it, also,
------------------
Link Removed
I prefer to listen to my music in its Original Aspect Ratio: Stereo.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You might find that its not really the sub thats giving away its location but something else thats ratteling near the sub. Also you room is fairly small and square so maybe its a room issue at your listening postion. Try walking around the room and see if its as noticable in all locaitons
------------------
The Pratt Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.