Saw in Radio Shack: telemarketer blocker - does it really work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest Aguayo, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

I was passing by Radio Shack the other day and they had an ad in the window for some device that you plug in between the phone jack and your phone that supposedly "blocks" telemarketers from calling your phone.

Is this thing for real? Does it work? HOW does it work?

I guess I could go back and take a look at it myself, but I wanted to first know if anyone on HTF knew anything about it.

Thanks.

Ernest

2. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

It probably uses Caller ID and blocks anything that comes up as UNIDENTIFIED.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I sometimes get calls from overseas, and those also show up as UNKNOWN CALLER. So if it just blocks them all, your friends from (or travelling) overseas may have a tough time reaching you.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

A good way to get your number off of telemarketers' lists is to record those 3 tones on your answering machine, the same tones you get if you dial a number that isn't in service. If you've gotten calls from telemarketers lately, you might've noticed you usually hear a second of silence before someone comes on- this is because their computer is making sure it's dialed a valid number before passing it to someone- if the first thing it hears are those tones, then it automatically assumes your number isn't valid and hangs up and takes your number off its list! Someone has a website with these tones on it to record onto your answering machine message; I'll have to go back and find the exact address, but I've got it on my machine now.
    Telemarketers are fun to mess with though- if I get a call from one and they ask "How are you today, sir?" I'll usually say I was just fine until I was rudely interrupted! [​IMG]

5. Ernest Aguayo

Haha... that's a good idea, Jesse... [​IMG]
    If you could dig up that website, I would be interested in trying it out.
    Yeah, I knew about the computer passing along the call to a human after it verifies someone picks up - I was thinking maybe the blocker I saw in Radio Shack screws up the computer somehow... hmmmmmmmm....

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

How about simply putting your number on that list that is Off Limit to telemarketer? That doesn't work?

--

Holadem

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Telemarketers are fun to mess w/. I always slip into a conversation about how my genitals have been really itching me and start asking them all the questions I can before they can reply w/ their question. After one "I'm not interested, please remove me from your list" They never call again or try to jump in w/ another question. I kind of feel bad for them, but don't call me at 7:00 in the morning.

Another classic reply:

Is JoeShmo there? No, I'm dead. Goodbye.

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I believe the premise of the zapper you saw at Radio Shack is that it emits the tones that the telephone company would emit if the phone number was not in use or valid. This way it tells the auto dialer that you don't exist and will take you off of their to phone list.

Patrick

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Heres a really great link with info on how you can stop telemarketers and even make money if they dont stop harrassing you [​IMG] Telemarketers

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Aye, what the beastie does is plays the 'number not in service' tones really really fast; a human wouldn't notice. The autodialers would, and do, though.

11. Ernest Aguayo

Cool... I think I will go back and check it out.

Thanks...

12. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Wow...awesome. I never thought that there would be an actual way to get rid of those telemarketers FOR REAL! Now to head down to the Radio Shack about a block from my place to check it out...

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I spend $5 a year to be put on a 'no call' list maintained through the state of Florida. If someone does call I can inform them of that and if they call again they can be fined. Never had a problem since.

I saw an ad for the Radio Shack thing and it sends a signal to the computer auto-dialer that deletes your number from the computer's file. However, if an actual live person dials (and that still happens) you can still be bothered.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

When I first moved into my house (7.5 years ago), I was barraged with these calls. I fretted over it for a while, and then just started telling them to put me on their "do not call" list.

It apparently worked. I get about one cold call every two months, if that.

Don't fret over being rude- after all, they called you. When they do call, I say, "I'm not interested, please put me on your do not call list," and hang up. Ten seconds, tops.

Todd

15. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Does anyone remember what Seinfeld did to telemarketers? I'm working on getting the guts to do that one.

Mike

16. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

I've always wondered why there is a pause before the telemarketer starts their spiel. I always thought they were just getting ready or something. I should look into one of those gadgets.

Does anyone know how fast the tones are generated? Is it annoying to people you actually want calling you, or is it too fast?

17. Ernest Aguayo

Yeah, I guess that pause when the computer switches over to the human is the reason they always screw up my last name: they had little or no time to practice it!