"SAW" clear DVD case. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob clamer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

I have like maybe some people picked up the "SAW" DVD in the clear amaray case. My question/problem is this. How do I safely and easily remove the hideous black security label/sticker from the case which is in clear sight on the back of the case on the inside? I can get to the sticker but am afraid to try and tear it off. Short of buying another clear 2 disc case, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I just pulled mine off with no problem.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Just pull it off, or stop focusing on it and forget about it.

4. Bob clamer

Tony,

Asked for suggestions, not sarcasm.

5. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Tony *is* right though. I've never had a problem pulling off those things. They come off pretty easily.

6. Bob clamer

My concern *is* the clear case, that's all. I display the special cases I have along with the special sets I have. This is why the *question* has been brought up. Like *I* said, "suggestions" not "sarcasm". Thanks all the same though.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i guess my idea of sarcasm isnt the same as yours.
    sarcasm wasnt the intent.
    this is a plastic case right?
    so how many different ways could there be to get it off.

pull it off or put something on it to release the glue.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    What do you want, us to point you to a magic powder that will make it evaporate? What Tony said, you pull it off. If you're a DVD collector, you've done it hundreds of times. As long as it's on plastic and not paper or cardboard, it won't leave any residue.

9. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I've never had a problem with those but if you do try getting the residue off with the black security label itself. the sticky side should remove any residue. If not, maybe try some Goo Gone. (at your own risk as I have never tried it on plastic DVD cases.) Good luck.

10. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Heat it up a little with a hairdryer, then clean it up with something like googone if you need to.

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    These stickers are only a problem when they're on cardboard - like a number of the Warner 2-disc SEs, where you can't really remove them without tearing the card.

Here though, you don't have a problem - even if you should mess it up by pulling roughly, the metal strip inside the security tag will come out of the tag rather than the glue hurting the DVD case itself. This will make you use your nails and work a bit to peel the thin metal bit off. I've NEVER been able to damage a plastic case removing one of these, and I'm sure you won't either.

12. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    i hate when they put those damn things inside a digi pack clear case...like they did with my Legend DVD.

13. Bob clamer

Thank you to all who asnwered my question without a smart answer. Apprciate it & I do realize that the stickers on the cardboard cases is a lost cause. This would not have been a problem if the sticker was behind the disc itself but it is at the top of the case. Wonder you the genius was you put it in that place?

14. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

15. Bob clamer

What I meant to say was who was the genius who put the security sticker in a visible spot on a clear case. Why not behind the disc? It will still serve its security purpose.

16. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

It'll serve the security purpose, sure, but it'll also scratch the hell out of the data side of the disc. I had to return two copies of "Iron Maiden: The Early Years" because of this.

17. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I don't konw if they want to try to catch people stealing, I think they'd rather just deter the would-be theives. And like Don said, it would also scratch the disc.

So did you pull off the tag yet? Did your case survive?

18. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, GooGone is great stuff. I've used it to remove stickers and glue residue from all sorts of plastic and paper surfaces, most often for ex-library books that I've bought. The only problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. I'm wondering if it is no longer on the market. Has anyone bought any GooGone recently? Like within the last 6 months? If so, please tell me where.

19. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, GooGone is great stuff. I've used it to remove stickers and glue residue from all sorts of plastic and paper surfaces, most often for ex-library books that I've bought. The only problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. I'm wondering if it is no longer on the market. Has anyone bought any GooGone recently? Like within the last 6 months? If so, please tell me where.

But be careful of GooGone. Don't let any of it get on the disc itself. It'll ruin it for sure. That happened to my wife who tried to remove a Hastings rental sticker from the disc on an ex-renter she bought. No, we don't buy those any more. Too many defects from careless renters. Or as my mother used to say when I was a kid "don't touch that, you don't know where it's been."

20. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Those are all helpful hints for those who want to rid themselves of the security tabs, but why would anyone want to? I just do not see the reasoning other than take up space.

ry/