Saw a Wal-Mart ad this weekend...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee L, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

They had a page seperate from their other DVD's that had two pre-order DVD's, Spiderman and ATOC. I know ATOC is available MAR (not sure about Spidey) but they showed the Widescreen package for both films. If so many customers at Wal-Mart complain about widescreen, why didn't they put the fullscreen in the ad?

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Spider-man is definitely available for pre-order in pan & scan. [​IMG]

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I noticed this ad too in the Wal-Mart flier this weekend, and was surprised. I know there is widescreen and MAR versions of both, which made the ad that much more surprising to me. You can easily tell the 2 versions of Spider-Man apart, because the widescreen and MAR versions have totally different covers. This is good for widescreen enthusiasts, because it make it so we don't mix up the DVDs.

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I saw the cover for the P&S version at wal-mart on Saturday under the list of upcoming DVDs that they're getting in. Once again the widescreen version will get pushed to the back. [​IMG]

5. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I was at my local Blockbuster this weekend and they had placed two empty DVD cases of Spiderman on the counter - one at each end, slightly opened so that it could stand up. One was a widescreen cover and one was the P&S cover ("fullscreen", it actually said). One had a black background with Spidey climbing a building and one with a white background (I forget which went with which format).
    It was just the front cover only, so it was probably just a promotional insert - but I was surprised to see both formats on the counter at all.
    Joel

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I noticed the same thing. I just laughed when I saw that! I was wondering if the J6Ps would notice that, and complain. Even odder, I went to walmart.com and did a search for Spider-Man, and in the top matches, it had the limited edition, the VHS, and the widescreen DVD. Also doing a search for Star Wars, in that top matches box, widescreen is before full screen. Same for MiB2, Scorpion King, and others. Even stranger, if you go to the movies section, all of the links go to the widescreen version (except Grease). Here are the images in case you did not get the ad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Could this mean a turn-around for Wal-Mart? I don't think so, as Rob T said, "Once again the widescreen version will get pushed to the back."

7. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I noticed the same ad, Lee! It made me laugh.