What's new

Saw a bootleg dvd at a retail store (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't be so sure about that. I've witnessed first hand what happens when some sort of power declares open season on a store. Suddenly there's carte blanche permission for every two bit scum to rob a place.
Are you suggesting that Disney hired some local crooks to clean out the place because someone reported 1 bootleg DVD of Santa Clause 2 for sale at their store? :eek: A bit over-the-top, don't you think?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I would think that if I ran a used DVD store, I'd require ID on every title that I received - if nothing else, just for covering myself in case they ended up being stolen.

EBAY is totally out of control with all of their illegal stuff. How much would it cost to have one person bay a pile of illegal stuff and then send them the suits for advertising illegal merchandise?

Glenn

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Universal did issue seperate releases for stores that requested it
Really?

Glenn, the problem with Ebay is that they only act as a middleman. They don't have time to go through and check every single auction that come into them.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I frequent approximately 12 different used CD/DVDPawn stores and have never seen one bootleg. Keep in mind that most of these stores only show the spine of the DVD but I usually take a look at any movie I've never heard of just to check it out. I have over 420 DVDs and most of those have been bought used. Strange....I would have thought I would have seen a boot.

Glenn: Maybe the reason I never see any boots is because you are required to show your MN State ID when you pawn or sell CDs, DVDs, etc at these stores.

I have seen boot VCDs at Computer shows though - Star War EP1 when it was still in the theaters. He wasn't selling though.

Interesting thread :)

P.S. Tony-B -JET ROCKS!!! I've spun them 4 times since Tue.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
In the pre-DVD days, I remember a local store that bought and sold used VHS tapes had a bunch of boots of British horror videos (Hammer titles then unavailable in the US, Redemption titles etc). It was funny because the sleeves were obviously copies and clearly had "PAL" and the British rating label on them. Of course the uninformed manager that bought them from a customer probably wouldn't notice something like that, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. :laugh:

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
In the pre-DVD days, I remember a local store that bought and sold used VHS tapes had a bunch of boots of British horror videos (Hammer titles then unavailable in the US, Redemption titles etc). It was funny because the sleeves were obviously copies and clearly had "PAL" and the British rating label on them. Of course the uninformed manager that bought them from a customer probably wouldn't notice something like that, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
At one second hand store, I saw a blank VHS tape onto which someone had recorded some movie (I don't know whether it was dubbed or off-air), and handwritten the name of the movie onto the label. There was no possible way anyone could be stupid enough to believe it was a legitimate release. They even had the tape in the cardboard case it came in.

And they were selling it for only two dollars less than the price they were charging for real legitmate second hand pre-owned tapes.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Maybe the reason I never see any boots is because you are required to show your MN State ID when you pawn or sell CDs, DVDs, etc at these stores.
That doesn't stop anyone. In Arizona we take IDs for cash transactions and over a certain dollar amount we have to fill out a second hand police report(pawn slip).

After my weekends I usually check the pawn room (items that get slips written, we have to hold onto for 20 days) to see what has come in and to see what my employees are spending.

I came across 2 seperate deals with the exact same items X-Files sets, DS9 sets, and Simpsons sets. They were done one day apart by different employees but it was the same person doing the selling.

Obviously this guy ripped of a store, and he knows that the store won't know what's missing and that even if they do know they won't report it to the police. So this guy has no qualms about giving up his ID and filling out a police report. If the cops have no report to match to the items then that's all she wrote.

He did try to come in a 3rd time with the exact same stuff. So I called his bluff. I said "Wow you must have some real awesome friends who keep GIVING you these box sets this is the third time you have been in!" He took the stuff and ran out the door and I never saw him again.

On another note I did have a guy today try to sell me boots for Daredevil, House of 1000 Corpses, and Matrix Reloaded. When he asked why I wasn't taking the movies I asked him if he bought them on E-bay and he said yes.

--Ian

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I guess, ultimately, the responsibility lies with the store buying said items. If they repeatedly give out cash to a person for the same things day after day then they are a big part of the problem. I'd say give yourself on a pat on the back Ian. At least some people have morality in the pawn business. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks