Saving Up to Buy the Right Speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Man of the Woods, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Man of the Woods

Man of the Woods Auditioning

Aug 25, 2006
    I am new to the forum and I am trying to decide which speakers to start saving for. I have prewired my basement with a lot of wire to try and future proof it, but only time will tell.

I have wired for 7.1, but will start with 5.1 and move to 7.1 down the road.

I would like to save up until I can buy speakers that will "wow" me and not jump the gun and buy a sub-optimal speaker system. However, I don't want to be saving for 50 years.

My first question is I am pretty much convinced that I should be buying a SVS sub. I have emailed sales at SVS letting them know that my multipurpose L shaped room is approximately 3000 cubic feet (entrance to stairs and one end and hallway to bedrooms at the other) and have asked them what their recommendation is. I am awaiting their response. Last week I was convinced by a couple of threads that 20-39 PCI was the ticket, but now I am not so sure and feel I should be considering even their highest end model. Thoughts on this would be great. E.g. Buy the 20-39 PCI and if it not enough buy another or just bite the bullet and get the best one in the first place. It is a concrete floor room with carpet covering, plain 1/2 drywall with plain R14 insulation and sound and safe insulation in the ceilings.

For the speakers, many threads have pushed me towards the Axiom line up. I live in Canada and this is a bonus as I believe Axiom is manufactured in Ontario, Canada. Specifically, I was thinking:

Front Speakers: Axiom M80 V2's ($1300)
    Center: Axiom VP150 V2 ($400)
    Surrounds: Axiom QS8 V2's ($530)

However, is there anyway to listen to Axiom speakers before buying?

But, there is a paradigm dealer in town and another thread listed these as a good setup. Several friends have purchased their HT speakers from him and they are very satisfied. I have listened to them and seem to sound very good.

Front Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 11 ($1,000)
    Center: Paradigm CC-370 ($300)
    Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370 ($650)

--- Edit: also audition the Monitor 9's $700-$800

So....if any of you could help me decide between these two brands or steer me in a different and better direction it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Jul 10, 2006
    There are many established Canadian speaker manufacturers.. Axiom, Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, PSB, Totem, etc