Saving Private Ryan (Unedited)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Shiu, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Hey all! Did anyone happen to catch this on TV tonite? I found it kind of surprising ABC decided to make this move and show it completely unedited (Disney-owned Network). I dunno, but I vaguely recall commercials for this event a few weeks ago saying it would use editing techniques or something. Am I just mistaken or sumthin? Anyways, yeah, back to the movie!

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Funny, it's also on the Quebecian network TQS tonight as well... Well the french version that is, since Quebec has the highest rate of J6Ps per Square Mile (Or should I say Square Kilometer) so they are too lazy to read subs, so they want a dub! Argh! Make me feel ashamed to be one (A Queb that is, NOT a J6P hehe!)
    Just finished though so I couldn't check if it was OAR or Butchered, I assume butchered (See above). And it's not sync'ed with the OSL version on ABC... Which is not OAR neither... So what will I do?
    I'll borrow the DTS DVD from my friend when I get my DTS-Capable receiver!

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I checked the first few minutes of this to see if Speilberg was still sticking to his no-logo rule- sadly, the ABC logo was onscreen, ruining the mood completely- I can't watch anything on ABC without thinking about Schoolhouse Rock when that logo's on! When Jurassic Park and Schindler's List were on NBC he asked them to take the turkey off the screen, there was no Fox logo when they ran Lost World either.

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

ABC probably paid Spielberg a few dollars more to keep the logo. But I don't see how a logo can further ruin the mood for a pan & scan presentation interrupted by commercials.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

NBC showed Schindlers List unedited a few years back. Nudity,violence and all.
    I remember alot of people being upset about this saying it was offensive to have something like this on netowrk television where children could see it and Gene Siskels response was "The movie was about the Holocaust - arent we supposed to find the Holocause offensive".
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

6. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Great 16x9 HD picture and DD 5.1 sound here in Dallas. But, the commercials and logo really screwed up the movie, IMHO. I stopped watching about 3 commercial segments in and put on the DVD [​IMG]

7. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

The problem with showing a movie un-censored like PRIVATE RYAN & SCHINDLER'S LIST is someday they will want to show a movie like BABY BOY, BOYZ IN THE HOOD with all it's bad languge and sex. And they will have to let them or else it's lawsuit time!

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

10. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I saw portions of it last night. I've never seen the whole thing all the way through. Only parts while friends are showing off their sound systems, etc. So I don't know if there was any editing done at all. However, I was more offended by the P&S presentation than the language or violence. It is my understanding that when a network television station like ABC shows an R-rated movie with no editing it is because they are trying to preserve the movie in its pure form. They recognize it for the art that it is and how the use of extreme language and violence was used to send the message. However, they overlook the OAR of the film as if that is not an important element of the presentation. The commercial breaks were a necessary evil, IMO. They had to pay to air it, so they at least need to make that money back. And the interruptions were pretty short, so I didn't mind them too much. That's what you get when you watch "free" TV. But P&S? Please. That made me mad.
    I didn't like the little station bug either. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I was rather amused that they kept in the dreaded "F" word in the opening scene, verified both through the audio and closed-captions- they said "C*cks*cker" too! And the ABC logo was there in all its glory so those offended would immeditately know who to complain to! [​IMG]
    (A local station here once aired "Private Lessons" uncut and flashed their ID onscreen in the middle of Sylvia Kristel's strip scene!)

16. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    What did Jack Nickelson say?
    Kiss a tit - X rating
    Hack off a tit - PG-13
    Please don't tell me that Saving Private Ryan is on network t.v. unedited because they want to maintain the integrity of the movie.
    Bull. If they wanted to do that they would run it commercial free.
    Bull Point 2. Network t.v. is getting their butts kicked for a number of years and this is their way of trying to survive. Personally I think they have a better chance with shows like 24. Whoever wanted to see Private Ryan has seen it at the movies or cable or dvd or all of the above. The demographics on the remaining people is not even worth commenting on.