What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So I broke down and bought it, and watched maybe the first 45 minutes last night. This definitely sets the high bar for a catalog release of a 20 year old film. It simply looks and sounds amazing, and it looks like it should. Whatever digital cleanup (if any) is used so sparingly that it still looks like film to my eyes. When Mr. Kaminsky uses the soft-look+flare effect, it's conveyed accurately onscreen. Other scenes look tack-sharp. Sound was amazing. Didn't notice too much "overhead" effects, but also didn't think that the lack of it detracted from the presentation in any way.

sxpear2

Auditioning
Real Name
Scot
Hello. First post in years. This is question for SPR UHD disk owners. I purchased a new Sony XBR55x900F and the new SPR 4k UHD disk. I noticed that in the beginning of the movie, the close up of the white crosses, there was obvious noise of some sort, on the crosses. (not sure if noise is the correct term). I was able to correct this by fiddling around with the settings to where the crosses looked normal, white and no noise. All was good. I then decided to return the 900f and got the LG 55 C8 OLED, just because I wanted OLED instead.. On the LG OLED I cant get rid of the noise/ artifacts on the crosses.

I figure it is just my lack of calibration knowledge. Before I take the LG back for the Sony OLED, can someone with the SPR disk and the LG C8 chime in and verify if the Cross scene is normal, without noise? Maybe I am being ticky tacky, and it is just one scene, but if one scene is bad, then it leads me to believe there are other scenes the C8 cannot handle well.

Or maybe if someone has the Sony OLED and SPR disk can provide feedback too?

Thanks,

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hello. First post in years. This is question for SPR UHD disk owners. I purchased a new Sony XBR55x900F and the new SPR 4k UHD disk. I noticed that in the beginning of the movie, the close up of the white crosses, there was obvious noise of some sort, on the crosses. (not sure if noise is the correct term). I was able to correct this by fiddling around with the settings to where the crosses looked normal, white and no noise. All was good. I then decided to return the 900f and got the LG 55 C8 OLED, just because I wanted OLED instead.. On the LG OLED I cant get rid of the noise/ artifacts on the crosses.

I figure it is just my lack of calibration knowledge. Before I take the LG back for the Sony OLED, can someone with the SPR disk and the LG C8 chime in and verify if the Cross scene is normal, without noise? Maybe I am being ticky tacky, and it is just one scene, but if one scene is bad, then it leads me to believe there are other scenes the C8 cannot handle well.

Or maybe if someone has the Sony OLED and SPR disk can provide feedback too?

Thanks,
The "noise" you are seeing is natural film grain. It is supposed to look that way.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Just ordered this (based upon the stellar technical reviews here and elsewhere) on Amazon today for $13.79 on sale. I’ll watch Memorial Day weekend. Not one of my favorite war films because at this point in time when I first viewed it Tom Hanks was wearing thin on me from being overexposed in the movies. Also I basically only remember the D Day portion of the film and felt the rest was a story line almost as bad as Titanic’s, merely invented to tell the entire war story. And then when Matt Damon shows up looking like he’s lost from a boy band I was literally thrown out of the movie. But I will give it another whirl and see if it’s improved with age.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just ordered this (based upon the stellar technical reviews here and elsewhere) on Amazon today for $13.79 on sale. I’ll watch Memorial Day weekend. Not one of my favorite war films because at this point in time when I first viewed it Tom Hanks was wearing thin on me from being overexposed in the movies. Also I basically only remember the D Day portion of the film and felt the rest was a story line almost as bad as Titanic’s, merely invented to tell the entire war story. And then when Matt Damon shows up looking like he’s lost from a boy band I was literally thrown out of the movie. But I will give it another whirl and see if it’s improved with age.
There are a couple of things in the film I take a small issue with (why Hanks’s character deviates from the mission which leads to one of the troop’s demise, and the Oppum/German soldier story), but I thought most of the other scenes were great.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
There are a couple of things in the film I take a small issue with (why Hanks’s character deviates from the mission which leads to one of the troop’s demise, and the Oppum/German soldier story), but I thought most of the other scenes were great.
I’m looking forward to revisiting it again even though I thought the movie was good but not great. I remember Tom Sizemore gave an excellent nuanced performance. I’m vaguely remembering what you’re saying about Hanks character but I need to watch it again. Damon just seemed too chirpy in that role for my taste. I may watch it this weekend.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first one is explained right in the film by Hank's character. It made perfect sense why he deviates temporarily from the mission.

He couldnt leave an operating machine gun nest that could result in other units being ambushed and killed once he knew it was there. Having knowledge of an operating enemy machine gun nest and bypassing it would have been negligent.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The first one is explained right in the film by Hank's character. It made perfect sense why he deviates temporarily from the mission.

He couldnt leave an operating machine gun nest that could result in other units being ambushed and killed once he knew it was there. Having knowledge of an operating enemy machine gun nest and bypassing it would have been negligent.
Maybe Hanks’s character was right, but it was not part of his orders, and he specifically told Vin Diesel’s character earlier “We’re not here to do the right thing. We’re here to follow fucking orders!”

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe Hanks’s character was right, but it was not part of his orders, and he specifically told Vin Diesel’s character earlier “We’re not here to do the right thing. We’re here to follow fucking orders!”
There is a big difference in the two scenarios. The first is involving a unit having civilians in tow and trying to protect them. It puts the entire unit in unnecessary danger in trying to protect them. If a unit took every civilian they came across in tow they would not only be unable to protect them they would making themselves and anybody with them a really attractive target.

It is telling that there is a sniper in the area and yet the family is not being targeted. He does nothing until Diesel's character decides to be noble, takes the kid and gives the guy an opportunity to take out a combatant.

In fact, while Diesel's character's actions are noble they are also dumb, because he actually puts the kid in danger of being shot and killed. The sniper had to know the family was there and took no action against them until Diesel's character gave him the opportunity to kill an actual combatant. At that point, suddenly it became an acceptable risk to kill the kid just so long as it gave him the chance to kill a soldier.

The later incident was different, because Hanks's character knew about the gun. Once he knew it was there he couldn't ignore it, because he would be culpable in the deaths of others. Vin Diesel's character was culpable only in his own death with his actions, while Hanks's character would have been guilty in contributing to the deaths of others if he ignored an operating nest.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The "noise" you are seeing is natural film grain. It is supposed to look that way.
Actually, it may not be. This disc has a known authoring error in the Dolby Vision layer that can cause high-frequency flickering in bright areas, like the white crosses, which can accentuate noise in the image. It's not a problem if your system can properly decode the second video stream in the Dolby Vision enhancement layer, but if your player cannot decode the FEL, it's better to watch this disc in HDR10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks