What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
I do think that people have a right to be cynical about the release for SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

The first release had no DTS and fairly poor extra features.
Rightly or wrongly, at that time I assumed that Spielberg wasn't a total money-grabber and bought this version. Not long afterwards, the DTS version was released. I prefer DTS but wasn't prepared to pay again just for that feature. Then, some time later, I hear of this new edition with the kind of extras that Spielberg usually has on a first release. First reports suggest that it has DTS, giving me another reason to finally upgrade.

So now the situation is that I would have to buy this 4-disc set to get both the features and the DTS. This presents a particular problem for those of us who import, as it exceeds the customs limit and incurs an extra charge, equivalent to half the buying price.

The point is that somebody like Spielberg should be above such blatant cash-grabbing. The DTS soundtrack and the extra features should have been on this disc right from the beginning. There is no good reason that they weren't.

We now have to view Spielberg's releases with suspicion. Will we see another version of Schindler's List next year, with the kind of insight into the actual MAKING of the film that most of us expected first time around ?

If a new version of JAWS appeared, with the full documentary, I'd buy it again. Having the whole documentary would be very welcome and I'd be glad of it. But that's not the point - the first release should be the best it can be at the time that it's produced.

We pay the wages of the people behind these decisions. We bought the tickets for Spielberg's films. We deserve to be treated fairly and with respect. Don't we ?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

???

Are you talking about the 4-disc boxset?

Could somebody please answer my question... has it been confirmed that the dts track is exclusive to the 4-disc set?

who actually owns either version and can comment on the audio tracks?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Yes, the second disc of features available in both the standalone 2-disc as well as 4-disc sets is definitely worth the upgrade. Excellent behind-the-scenes, making of Omaha Beach sequence - incredible that Spielberg only achieved only 4-5 shots *a day* to ensure maximum safety. Also great interviews on music and sound design. Great stuff all around.

The only big missing piece is the "Into The Breach" docu from the old DD 5.1 disc. I'm holding onto the first disc for that reason.

And yes, currently, the only way to get the new 2-disc set with DTS is to get the 4-disc pack. I would not be surprised if the DTS 2-disc version will be available separately some time in the near future...

I did a comparison of video quality and it's identical to the old release. Someone else posted here that the data files are the same as well, so the reason to upgrade is really the extras. Since I never had the DTS version to begin with, the $35 deal at Circuit City for the 4-disc set was a no-brainer.

Cheers,

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
It is confirmed and reconfirmed throughout the thread. I went and looked at the back of the 2-discer yesterday and it is only DD5.1

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Given that Amazon sells 12 jillion different items, I thin being ranked that high for a re-release of a movie is pretty damned good!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Sorry, but I don't see how this is a valid complaint. It's a Region 1 DVD that's intended for sale in Region 1. As such, the studio should not be concerned that it is too big or weighs too much for overseas shipping.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Is this rudeness really necessary??

And btw, the expression is "I couldn't care less, not could.:D

Anyway, as someone previously mentioned, the 2 full length documentaries included in the box set, Shooting War narrated by Tom Hanks and The Price For Peace are excellent in their own right and make a great companion piece to Saving Private Ryan. I actually bought the box set for these great documentaries and got the dts SPR as a bonus. It's a tremendous deal for only $34.99.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

That's awesome, for you. I wanted only the DTS. And I'm not about to pay $47 canadian on two documentaries I'll never watch. Ever, in a million years. I'm gonna go watch Spongebob.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

RIGHT ON! That's why I went on Amazon Marketplace and found a new copy of the first release of SPR DTS.

And coincidentally I bought SpongeBob Season 1 yesterday. :D

Real Name
Anthony
Randy - you're right. That's not really an issue to anyone except us R2 punters. I thought I'd indicated that with the use of the word "particular".

It's a side issue anyway. There's no getting around the fact that the first question is : why wasn't the disc released with the extras and the DTS to begin with ?
The second question is why did the DTS disc not have the documentaries ?

I've heard no good reason for this and so, my dear Watson, the only possible reason left is simply TO GET AS MUCH MONEY OUT OF US AS POSSIBLE !

I don't say this for personal reasons. In fact, I've just ordered both the new edition AND the DTS version for less than £15 so I'm quite happy.
I just lament the fact that someone as powerful as Spielberg isn't trying to make sure that the consumers are treated fairly. Some people just accept getting shafted like this as part and parcel of the Capitalist System.
Me, I'm a bit of a leftie and it kind-of disappoints me.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Anthony, I didn't mean to belittle your other complaints, which certainly are merited.

The irony is that the DTS two-disc set inside the 4-disc box looks physically the same as the separately sold DD two-disc set. It's already dressed for sale on its own. I would bet that will eventually happen.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the original DTS version from Half.com. It was advertised as brand new and "authentic". Help me determine if it's legit. It didn't have any of the stickers on any sides. The (loose) shrinkwrap did have one Dreamworks logo on it in white. There is a 4 page insert. The disc itself has a black and white image of a single soldier.

Did yours look like this?

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I just read the specs for the 4-disc collection, which somehow escaped me. Here are the specs for "Price For Peace":

http://www.dvdfanatic.com/dvd.php?id...hp?id=wwiicoll

Anamorphic Letterboxed Widescreen - 1.78

Dolby Surround Sound - English
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound - English

Commentary -
1. Tom Brokaw - Journalist
Featurettes -
1. Introduction to National D-Day Museum
2. "About the War Experience" with Stephen E. Ambrose - Executive Producer
3. National D-Day Museum Slide Show
4. Introduction - Steven Spielberg - Executive Producer
5. "WWII Dog Handlers"

Clearly, Dreamworks mistake here was issuing a 2-disc cheaper alternative in the first place. Apparently $15 extra for a DTS track, two whole other documentaries about D-Day and WW2 (one narrated by Tom Hanks) and quite a few extras for one of those films is a huge rip-off. Give me a break. It would be a whole different story if they were charging the ridiculous price that Universal did for "Schindler's List" which didnt even have any extra DVD content, but that is not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks