What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hell, no one seemed to complain about Band of Brothers, which had 3 hour long episodes in both DD5.1 and DTS.

What sucks is that Dreamworks has been pretty consistent with having dual DD and DTS on most of their very popular releases; Old School, A.I, Catch Me if you Can, etc.

DreamWorks knows that the original Saving Private Ryan DTS has been long touted as THE audio demo for most home theaters, I think adding the DTS in only the more expensive boxset is very intentional and frankly very disappointing.

Ken Kool

Auditioning
each disc of band of brothers has 2 episodes and each episode is about 1 hour long. Nevertheless, BOB has great audio and video presentation :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
What Dreamworks SHOULD'VE done was gotten rid of that damn French Dolby Digital Track and put in the DTS in the first place. If I ever become a director or producer, I'd DEFINITELY make sure if there's a long movie and it needs sufficient bitrate for both DD AND DTS, I'll drop all the dubbed audio selections and just have the 'other' languages be in subtitle form. Go to hell, dubbed shit. You're not welcome here. 'Nuff said.
One last thought, I'd much rather watch a film, be it foreign or domestic, be in the language the persons making the film in stay the same. I'd literally sue if it was ever dubbed if it was my movie. It's like botching something I've worked extremely hard on. Hope this clarifies things.:D

Galen_V

Second Unit
Ray_R-

While everything you say makes perfect sense to both myself and to everyone else living in the United States, the fact is that Region 1 isn't just our country: it includes our oft overlooked canadian neighbors. Dreamworks probably expects this disc to sell well in Canada (people seem to forget that the Canadians also landed and fought on D-Day, on Juno Beach), and they don't want to be burdened with the cost of producing separate discs for both countries. What this means, of course, is that they drop one of the two English tracks and include a French one instead. While I'm not condoning what they are doing with the DTS track on the WWII Collection, you have to admit from Dreamwork's point of view that it would be more cost efficient to make one version for both countries than a separate version for each country. So if anything, blame Canada.

Ken Kool

Auditioning
the review is up at dvdfile:

apparently there are no trailers or other extras beside the main documentary.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the packaging of the Saving Private Ryan DVD in the four disc set is the same as the two disc?

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Living in Canada, I kind of resent your statement of "BLAME CANADA". Since the studios are realizing the potential sales from your Spanish market, would you say the same thing if Saving Private Ryan had both English 5.1 and Spanish 5.1 soundtracks??

Christian

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

It's exactly the same. Disc 1 is the only difference between the two. The extra two discs in the gift set each have their own traditional keepcase. (They are also sold separately.) There's also a booklet. They're all housed in a cardboard box, whose side flap opens and closes.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Get the current DTS release, enjoy. Wait a year or two for the inevitable rerelease of the new SPR that'll have DTS + whatever else.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Good Luck finding it, well in stores anyways. Thank god for Internet marketing. But I agree with Kwang, HDDVD will bring about something new - though with our luck well get screwed again.

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
I looked at a Canadian site for Saving Private Ryan, and the specs said DTS 5.1 + DD 5.1 + Dolby Surround. Is this accurate, a seperate Canadian English release???

Galen_V

Second Unit
Again, I'm not in the know at Dreamworks or anything, by including the French DD track on the disc, they could be trying to avoid these alterations that you speak of right off the bat. However, if the Canadian disc DOES have both English track (if Svenge's is indeed credible) then my theory gets thrown out the window and it really is just illogical on Dreamworks's end.

Now, why wouldn't they include the French DD track on the WWII collection? Who knows; I don't own the original SPR DTS disc, so I can't speak for the size of that track vs. the two DD 5.1 tracks.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Why is this "inevitable"? The new version is the first reissue of the flick in almost five years - it's not like they're popping them out one every 18 months...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
They didn't provide an English track on the Region 1 of "Amelie", so why do they have to provide a French track on SPR?

For the record, I'm not aginst Canada, just trying to look at the argument on both sides.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Yeah Futureshop is listing the same, so is DVDsoon. I'm guessing this is more misinformation thanks to DreamWorks who failed to provide proper specs for the DVDs. Or who know, maybe Canada will get the DTS track.

I'm surpised this story isn't being picked up by the Bits or any other DVD site for that matter. This is just as bad as the ET DVD fiasco. I think as consumers we have a right to get a DTS release on both editions?

Dan-Voorhees

Auditioning
I was just at the Circuit City web site and was checking out the write up on this DVD. If you click on menu, it states that there IS DTS on the 2 disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks