What's new

Saving Private Ryan - picture anomalies? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to keep adding to this thread - I understand this is probably pretty basic stuff for the experts - but I had experienced the same thing in SPR and Apocalypse Now during the USO scene - the lights there streak so much that I just assumed it was a problem with the transfer or my setup. I imagine everyone will confirm that AN is supposed to look this way. Am I right?

Greg W

Auditioning
Okay guys, go easy on me now. Following Ken's advice, I dug out my VHS copy of SPR and sure enough, the streaks are there. I guess I'll have to take my lumps on this one. I'm not sure how I missed this before. I was probably too engrossed in the film in the theater and the effect just wasn't as pronounced when watching it on VHS and my old 30" TV. It definitely shows up in startling clarity on DVD and the 60" Phillips, however.
And to be honest, this is the only thread I came across while searching the forum for this very "problem". I wish the other threads mentioned had shown up in my search before I opened my big ol' trap.
frown.gif
Oh well, at least it's reassuring to know that everything is as it should be.
wink.gif

Even though this issue appears to have been flogged rather exceedingly in the past, I went ahead and snapped a quick pic of what is being discussed. Maybe it will help some other poor soul new to HT in the future. Forgive me and my haste for the image quality of this pic, but the streaks are still quite apparent.
spr2.jpg

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for posting the pic Greg. I guess that's what was intended so no more complaints here. :)
Seb
------------------
"You know what the difference between you and me is? I make this look good."

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Greg and Sebastian,
I bought and watched SPR when it first came out on dvd and did not notice the flares until I read the first set of threads about them here. I think this movie is so engrossing that it's easy not to spot the flares the first few times you see it.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks