Saving Private Ryan on ABC 11/11/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

While watching Alias last night, I noticed that ABC will be showing "Saving Private Ryan" on 11/11/01 (I think 2 weeks from last night) uncut and in its entirety.
    Does anyone think that the phone lines will light up at the local ABC stations when the first 30 minutes of footage is shown of the troops landing on Normandy's Omaha Beach, and the carnage that ensued?
    I'm sure it'll trigger strong reactions by viewers when the film is shown.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I applaud ABC's decision to show this movie uncut. This is the only way to really to justice to this movie. I think Spielberg is one of the few movie makers who has the clout to ensure a movie like this is shown uncut.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree that there will probably be a lot viewers reacting to this movie.
    No matter what you've read about it, or how many "graphic violence" warnings ABC will precede it with, if you haven't seen it before, you WILL be shocked when that first German bullet hits the American soldier right in the head. The 20 minutes following that are some of the most intense sequences I've ever seen, and not the type of material normally shown on network TV.
    I'm happy to read that it will be shown uncut. Will it also be shown uninterrupted? I wonder if the dialog will be unedited too. Was there a detailed explanation in the movie of what FUBAR means? [​IMG]
    Also, on a more technical note, do you think there will be a lot of viewers complaining that there's something wrong with the picture? "It's all grainy" and "there are these vertical streaks..." come to mind. [​IMG]
    /Mike

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Well NBC has been airing Schindler's List uncut for quite some time, and it has as much disturbing subject matter as SPR.

6. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Well, they say uncut, but we'll see. Schindler's List was edited the time I watched. No doubt SPR would be cut if there was any nudity, as opposed to the grisly violence and gore.
    ------------------
    "Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Of course it would be cut for nudity, that's the kind of hypocrites that censors are. "..you can have horrible deplorable violence, as long as you don't say any naughty words!" I don't think they'll bleep the swearing, it's only 1 or 2 words. Besides, it was either CBS or ABC that vowed to drop the F-Bomb this season on one of their shows. Hopefully, like "ass", it will soon be commonplace
    Jeff Kleist

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Ummmm, has anybody thought that when they say uncut they really mean that it's not going to be shortened to the 2-hour time usually alloted for movies? I just can't see how ABC (or any other non-premium network) is going to get that level of violence (and language) past the FCC.
    Andrew
    ------------------

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

yeah, but will they show it OAR ?? It'll also be quite less the experience w/o 5.1 sound.

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Will it be in OAR or P&S? I'm willing to bet they show a P&S version. If so, J6P should be happy. [​IMG]
    Jon

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

14. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

It will be OAR and 5.1 on the HD channel! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Speilberg has also demanded that the networks NOT show their onscreen logos during his films, either. If only more people had the balls to demand that (I won't even APPEAR on TV with an onscreen logo!)

16. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

About the censorship, I remember that Anne Frank mini series that was on during the spring and it had closeups of nake women in the concentration camps. Now this wasn't like watching Basic Instinct mind you but it was plain as day right there on NBC primetime.
    ------------------

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The miniseries "War & Rememberance", which originally aired over a decade ago on ABC, also had brief full-frontal nudity in the concentration camp scenes. I didn't hear of any protests over this or "Anne Frank". Both shows had the proper disclaimers and the nudity was definitely not there to titillate.
    The usually prudish American public accepted nudity in these instances because it was presented in historical context. I would be very surprised if there was any uproar at all over SPR, since violence rarely draws the kind of reaction sex & nudity does.
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

19. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

IIRC, Spielberg has something in his contract that his films won't be edited for content when shown on television (maybe that's why Amistad has never seen the light of day on basic television?).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."