Saving Private Ryan, Omaha Beach Scene

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
On the omaha Beach chapter on Saving Private Ryan, I am having some dialogue intelligability problems when played back at reference levels. I know they are screaming and all of the effects are around them, but is it the mix or my center channel?

I am running this on DTS. BTW, DTS does appear to be quite an improvement over DD on some of the effects.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Greg,

I think this topic should probably be in software(or possibly receivers/amps/separates). But anyways, what equipment are you running?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
The Omaha Beach scene is riding a fine line on intelligibility, and I think that was the intent. FYI - it is clearer on the dvd on my level-balanced surround system than in any of the three theaters I saw SPR in back in 1998.

An interesting thing is watching the scene w/subtitles - you get ALL the military jargon, and for the first time, I realized what "defilade" is.

Cheers,

Felix

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
There are better ways to test the functionality of your center speaker than trying to hear dialog in this scene. It is supposed to be loud and confusing.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike