Saving Private Ryan - DD vs. DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jarret, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Jarret

Jarret Auditioning

Hello,

I just bought the Saving Private Ryan dvd but accidently purchased the DD version instead of the DTS one. I've open the dvd already from Best Buy so it might be a little bit of a problem to exchange it, but I was wondering how different the two versions are. Is it really necessary and that much better to have the DTS version?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jarret

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Well it is a full bit rate DTS soundtrack. And I think it kicks ass. I don't remember what the DD version sounds like I haven't watched it in awhile.

3. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Jarret,

I would definitely return it. I had both and the documentary on the DD version isn't worth a second look (as you may know by now). Doing a A/B comparison of the DD vs DTS audio is what made me a DTS believer. To me, the difference is one of the surrounds. The DTS version is better in that department. Maybe the surrounds were mastered differently, I don't know, but in the case of Private Ryan, DTS is better.

Joshua,

I saw one of those DTS lists that said Private Ryan was a half-rate DVD (maybe the first one). The list could have been wrong.

-Reagan

4. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

The Saving Private Ryan DTS disc is in half rate DTS (the first to do so, in fact). But, it is very good, though. So good that most can't even tell. Never saw the DD version, but it is suppose to be pretty good as well. Check the review on The Digital Bits, it compares the two.
    Digital Bits Review

5. Jarret

Jarret Auditioning

Thanks guys. I'm going to see what I can do about exchanging it. I still haven't bought my rears yet but I think this dvd will be an awesome one for now and especially when I do. I hope Best Buy will take it back. Thanks again.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

They both sound good, but the DTS version is not from the same 'mix' and is overall a more powerful and impactful track.

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Do you guys think they'd be able to fit both DD and DTS tracks onto one disc, if a 2-disc re-release of this movie was done? This is one film that I think could really benefit from a whole disc of extras as well as the presence of both DD and DTS tracks. It would be the best of both worlds. Really, I think this would be a good idea for most Spielberg releases that had dual DTS and DD releases (Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc.).

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

9. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I have both versions, but watch the DTS version if I'm going to watch it. It has much more bass and better channel separation. Video quality seems to be the same from what I've noticed.

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    As great as the DTS dvd version is, I actually prefer the DD 5.1 mix from the now legendary laserdisc. I'll quote Rob G from a while back and say, "just a little more powerful sounding". On my system, the DTS version is great. But the DD laser really fills the entire room and sounds so awesome it's scary.

11. Declan

Declan Second Unit

Ditto. Have had the LD since the day it was released. The DTS DVD is good. But the LD definitley out preforms in in audio terms.

12. Declan

Declan Second Unit

Tim do you have a link to Robs review?

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

As far as I understand, All 3 mixes(LD, DVD, DTS DVD) are all from different mixes.

I've heard all 3 and I've kept the DD Laserdisc. If I didn't have a copy of SPR, I'd buy the DTS DVD because 1.) Its far superior to the DD dvd, and 2.) No Side Flipping.

The difference between the DTS DVD and the DD ld is noticable but the DTS image is far superior so that would sway my opinion somewhat. When I have the extra dough laying around, i'll consider the DTS dvd but I have other priorities so I'll stick with my Laser for now.

14. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Declan, I didn't do a 'review' as such. This topic came up a lot a couple of years ago. The LD was defintely the loudest and strongest of all of them, with the DTS DVD not far behind.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I had the dd version and I have 3 letters for you. DTS!!! I am not some DTS fanatics who swear by it or won't buy a dvd beacause it is not in DTS either. IMO a lot of dvd's that have both DD & DTS almost sound the same but that is not the case with the SPR dvd.

16. Declan

Declan Second Unit

But have you heard the LD Jeff?
    You might change your mind..................maybe[​IMG]
    oh and cheers Rob. Must put in a search for that SPR LD thread.

17. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Declan, All of the early threads were destroyed as the forum switched servers a while back. Shame that, as I remember reading some truly molten gold discussions once upon a time.

I'll grab a copy of the SPR LD sometime in the future and audition it for myself. All internet indicators point to the mix being hotter than either DVD release, which Rob was kind enough to confirm in this thread.

18. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Is the difference in sound quality between the DD LD and the DTS DVD worth the lose in video resolution?

19. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Well, I'm sure the DTS sounds better, but IMO the DD is still one of the best DD tracks I have....awesome.

20. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    The image is superior on the dvd...cleaner etc....but this movie in the way it's filmed (grayish?) just looks fabulous on a great ld player which I have [​IMG]
    I'll do a comparo later tonight but I just got back from a 7 hour trip and I'm wiped out!