Saved By The Bell: The College Years - Season One announced

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattHR, Jun 3, 2004.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Image Entertainment has just announced:

Saved By The Bell: The College Years: Season #1 (DVD)
    Year: 1993
    Length: 433 minutes
    Rating: Not Rated
    MSRP: $ 34.99
    Release Date: 8/17/2004
    Pre-Order Date: 7/6/2004
    Studio: Image
    Catalog Number: ID2364NCDVD
    UPC: 014381236422

Synopsis: Zack, Kelly, Slater and Screech are back for new adventures, new challenges and new friends at California U! Arriving at college, they realize that life is going to be very different. As Zack puts it, "Last year we ruled Bayside...this year we're the lowest rung on the food chain!" It's a time for firsts and lots of surprises. Zack gets rejected by a girl, Slater's the worst wrestler on the team, Kelly gets a hankering for her professor and Screech finally starts getting the girls! Resident Assistant Michael Rogers helps the gang through the rough patches. Now you can enjoy the entire series of 18 episodes in their entirety, plus the pilot, as the gang navigates their way through the ups and downs of college life! Episodes include: Pilot / Guess Who's Coming to College / Zack, Lies & Videotape / Rush Week / Slater's War / The Homecoming / The Poker Game / Professor Zack / Screech Love / Dr. Kelly / A Thanksgiving Story / Teacher's Pet / Kelly and the Professor / A Question of Ethics / The Rave / Bedside Manner / Love and Death / Marry Me / Wedding Plans.

Featuring Mario Lopez, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, and Dusty Diamond.

Audio Format: Stereo
    Screen Format: Full Frame
    16x9: No
    Color: Color
    Region Code: Region 1
    Original Languages: English
    English Dubbed: No
    Other Languages: None
    Subtitles: None
    3-Disc set

2. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I thought they were going to release a season 5 first with all the episodes that werent on seasons 3 and 4. I also thought Saved By The Bell: The College Years was only one season. I guess I was wrong. I will still pick this up when it comes out.

-Mike

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Michael, maybe Lions Gate is putting out another set, and Image has the rights to the college years? I dunno.

4. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

A definite buy for me, though I'd rather have SBTB S5 first.

5. Joseph G.

Joseph G. Agent

Good to see that they are going to release the sbtb college years too. However, does anyone know who owns the rights to Good Morning Miss Bliss, and whether or not their showing interest in a possible release. This way the entire sbtb collection can be completed.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

7. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

"Saved by the Bell: The College Years" was only one year/season long. It consisted of 18 episodes that ran from September 14, 1993 to February 8, 1994. The only exceptions to that are the pilot (included in the set) which aired on May 22, 1993 and the TV movie "Saved by the Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas" (not included in the set) which aired on October 7, 1994. Go here.

I'm surprised that Image is releasing this. I thought Lions Gate was the sole distributor of the "Saved by the Bell"/NBC properties. It makes you wonder who has the rights to "Saved by the Bell: The New Class," (7 Seasons, 143 episodes, from September 11, 1993 to January 8, 2000) "Good Morning, Miss Bliss," (1 season, 13 episodes, 1988) and the two TV movies, "Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style" (November 27, 1992) and "Saved by the Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas." (October 7, 1994)

The original 'Saved' (1989-1993) had a four year/season run, but because of the way Lions Gate presented the episodes on the Season 3/4 set (only about 3 episodes of Season 4 are actually included) a Season 5 set will be needed to complete the series on DVD. There are 23 episodes of Season 4 still needing a DVD release IIRC. What Lions Gate should have done IMHO is release a Season 1/2 set (which they did) followed by a Season 3 set, followed by a Season 4 set. Then they wouldn't have needed that unnecessary Season 5 set and a lot of people wouldn't have been confused.

8. Martin_C

Martin_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, if Imagine owns the rights, I'm very glad they are releasing this to coincide with the Original Series DVDs. I'm sure we'll be getting the missing episodes soon enough. Keeping my fingers crossed about the TV movies and Good Morning Miss Bliss, though.

The cover art posted on TVShowsOnDVD doesn't say anything about it being "Season 1" and as has been stated before, there's only one season consisting of 18+1 episodes, with the last episodes directly leading into the Wedding in Las Vegas movie.

9. John_Dee

John_Dee Extra

Just to let anyone who isn't aware know if you have a multi-region player you can import "Hawaiian Style" and "Wedding in Las Vegas" from the UK

10. MattGSmith

MattGSmith Stunt Coordinator

As an AVID SBTB fan, I am SHOCKED this morning to wake up and see this release info. YAY! for Image who really seems to know what they're doing! It's obvious that they own the rights to the College Years, and yeah, we have one more set from Lion'sGate. Who knows when that will come. Soon I hope. August is so soon! I'm going to have to make a list of DVDs I have to pick up during Aug-Sept. alone. There are SO many!!
    Matt

11. John*P

John*P Second Unit

I think its very cool that SBTB: The College Years is being released. But, as others have said, I hope Lions Gate plans on releasing "Season 5" of the original SBTB soon...if not, I'll go nuts. I'm a completest, dag-nabbit!

Maybe the two TV movies will be included in the Season 5 package? That'd be awesome. I'd also be interested in Good Morning, Miss Bliss if someone released it, but NOT the horrid "New Class" ::shudder::

12. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

I can't wait to buy this on dvd! I am so excited!This is certainly a shock. I just hope that they plan on coming out with the rest of the original SBTB.

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm certain LG will still hit with S5 soon enough...it just looks like Image wanted to exercise their rights to SBTB:TCY at this time. I didn't even know they had those rights, though, so I'm all fleshmeckled. [​IMG]

14. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'm surprised Image has this, and yet I'm generally pleased with their work, so I'll pick this up. Still have to get seasons 3-4 of the original series.

15. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I'm really disappointed Wedding in Vegas is not included. That is absolutely essential to finishing the series and should be in this set. Perhaps Image doesn't have the rights, but if it were included I would have bought this. I never got to see it, and it's never on tv.

16. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

There is no doubt in my mind that I will pick this set up... If only the mini-movies were in it. At least people are giving some early 90's shows a chance on DVD...

Ryan

17. MattGSmith

MattGSmith Stunt Coordinator

Lion'sGate/Trimark owns the rights to the Hawaiian Style and Wedding in Vegas movie. I own them on vhs under the Trimark label. I'm sure Lion'sG will release them some day...
    Matt

18. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure whoever owns the 2 movies will release them in due time.
    I'm very excited about The College Years, and I'm hoping Miss Bliss will follow. But even if we don't get Bliss, I'm just thrilled to have what we do have.
    Is it possible Buena Vista owns "Good Morning, Miss Bliss"?