What's new

Save Star Wars! (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TravisR said:
Where did you get the information that Scarface sells 100,000 copies a week? Maybe in its first week it sold that many but it isn't the norm for that title. And before I start getting yelled at for what Doug is saying, I think the original Star Wars trilogy would sell more than 10,000 copies too.
Oh it might very well sell more than that. That was just a number that I threw out. The point is as an exclusive limited edition product, it might generate more interest and revenue, and might be more appealing to Lucasfilm as a marketable product. Not unlike the Disney movie club or the Warner Archive. However another point is this. I think one of the reasons that Star Wars is as popular today as new movies just coming out, as popular as Avatar for example, is exactly because it is an ever evolving product. People know that every time they buy it, they are going to see something new. And it stays relevant to a new audience. I'm not saying that the classic versions of the films shouldn't be available too, but a more exclusive, boutique style marketing might work better for them. Doug

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Ethan Riley said:
Because it's not their property. It belongs to George Lucas. If other people are tinkering with it, and distributing it freely, then Lucas therefore has had some of his rights taken away from him. Why the hell can't you understand that? He created Star Wars so that he could make money off it. He didn't put it out there so it could be a public domain industry in which everyone can participate and get "their" share. That's not the way things work. Why should total strangers be out there editing new versions of Star Wars and making money off them? The hell with those people--if they're so friggin talented, they should be creating their own movies.
Making money off of fan edits is frowned upon, and actively discouraged in the fan edit community. People have been banned from the original trilogy website for doing it, and trying to cover up their tracks. And how do you know some of those people aren't in the industry? George ought to be hiring them! ;)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Douglas Monce said:
I think there is different between significance and importance to society. Star Wars is clearly very significant, however its actual importance is probably fairly low. But your argument here about the purpose of a business disproves the need for your idea about the copyright laws. Its clear from the profits that the vast majority of people are perfectly happy with the versions of Star Wars that are available to them. It appears to be the biggest selling blu-ray of all time. Clearly Lucasfilm is providing what its customers want. I think Lucas maybe smarter about his audience than many give him credit for. I think the folks who are clamoring for the original versions of the film, are most likely a very small but rather vocal minority. So my question to you is this, how would you feel about Lucasfilm making a some what exclusive product for that market. A limited edition (say under 10,000 copies) release blu-ray of the classic cuts of the films? Doug
Lucasfilm isn't exactly trumpeting all the changes to it's customers, either. You don't see tv ads proclaiming "new digital Yoda!" in Phantom Menace or anything like that. Joe Average casual fan/customer has no idea what's been going on. I find it more and more puzzling they never update the closing credits with each new wave of changes. The SE's still have the 1997 credits and copyrights. Clive Revill has been MIA since 2004, but he's still listed as playing the Emperor. And Phantom Menace still has 1999 credits for assistant Yoda performers whose work is no longer in the movie. And you'd think the guys who had the difficult task of pasting the new Yoda in there would like some onscreen credit?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
SilverWook said:
Lucasfilm isn't exactly trumpeting all the changes to it's customers, either. You don't see tv ads proclaiming "new digital Yoda!" in Phantom Menace or anything like that. Joe Average casual fan/customer has no idea what's been going on. I find it more and more puzzling they never update the closing credits with each new wave of changes. The SE's still have the 1997 credits and copyrights. Clive Revill has been MIA since 2004, but he's still listed as playing the Emperor. And Phantom Menace still has 1999 credits for assistant Yoda performers whose work is no longer in the movie. And you'd think the guys who had the difficult task of pasting the new Yoda in there would like some onscreen credit?
I don't think that Joe Average probably cares all that much. They maybe contractually obligated to include those credits on the film regardless of the work that was done is no longer in the film or not. Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Douglas Monce said:
I don't think that Joe Average probably cares all that much.
People know that every time they buy it, they are going to see something new.
Seems rather contradictory--They "look forward to changes" AND "don't care that much"...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Douglas Monce said:
They maybe contractually obligated to include those credits on the film regardless of the work that was done is no longer in the film or not. Doug
You're probably right, since the SE credits have everyone who worked on the films originally. (IIRC, James Earl Jones finally got an onscreen credit as well?) The credits for everyone who did the new shots and film restoration came at the end. A credit roll ought to be an easy thing to update with each new version though. Anybody call that toll free THX number lately? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks