save me from dumb ebay buyers!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by andrew markworthy, Jun 29, 2003.

1. andrew markworthy

I still like ebay for both buying and selling, and most folks I've had dealings with have been a real pleasure to know, but there are days when my patience is tested. Three things that have happened to me in the last week or so:

(a) The guy who bid *way* under the reserve for an item I was selling and then hastled me with emails asking why I wouldn't sell to him at that price.

(b) The other guy who sent me an email saying he'd put in a fair bid (1 pound for an item that eventually sold for twenty times that price) and then berated me for the (in his opinion) high postage charges I quoted (in spite of the fact that I said clearly that I gave the cost of insured next day delivery as default as that's what most buyers seemed to want, but would happily use other methods if asked).

(c) And this is the prize one. I was bidding on an item with a starting price of 35 pounds. I put in an upper price of 45 just to be on the safe side, but I thought my bid of 35 should be enough because the seller had three *absolutely identical* items next to it in the listings (all scheduled to finish at the same time), none of which had a bid. Guess what some newbie to ebay did? Bid on the item I'd already bid on, pushing up the price, whilst not bidding on the identical items that didn't have a bid against them. I still got the item, but thanks to this jerk, at a higher price than I should have paid. [​IMG]

Anyone else met up with similar morons on ebay?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

A quick 'f**k off' via email usually does the trick.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

If it weren't for stupid people we wouldn't need lawyers, insurance would be cheap and mass media would be appealing.
    I say it's medical experements for the lot of em.

4. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

6. andrew markworthy

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Andrew, about c):

Check out other auctions by this seller that have already ended. Look at the bid history to see if the same bidder that drove up your price has done the same to other auctions. It possibly could be someone working with the seller to get more money.

Just a thought!

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Andrew, I just got slapped with my very first negative as a seller.

Why? According to his complaint, I made it too difficult for him to open the poster tube I shipped his poster in. Oh yes, the tape I put around the ends of the tube so they stay shut is just impossible to remove. [​IMG]

I'm liking Ebay much less these days.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

We now have to pay 17.5% VAT on all listing and final-value fees thanks to the glorious EU rules on such things.

10. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I have all but given up on ebay as far as buying things. Its almost impossible to get something at a fair price.

I still sell on ebay, though. Luckily I haven't yet encountered any real idiots.

Mark

11. andrew markworthy

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

13. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Not to hijack this thread, but:

I have no experience as a seller on EBay, but my secretary had an awful experience w/ a seller last week. She was bidding on an item and inquired whether it had been in the home of a smoker. She received a terse scolding via e-mail, which shocked her (and me when I read it).

Call me crazy, but her question sounded legitimate to me.

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I had a problem with a buyer once. Situation went as follows:

Item listed, price was about $280. I expected the item to sell for $400-$500. Buyer A sets a max bid of $450 (current bid of $280). Buyer B outbids buyer A, price of item goes up to $460.

Buyer B later decides to cancel his bid for whatever reason. Price drops back to $450, and buyer A is the high bidder again. Auction ends.

Buyer A emails me, demanding that I sell him the item for $280 because the other buyer "screwed him". This is a nice laptop computer worth $400-$500!! I explain to him "You're the one who bid $450. If you didn't want to pay that, you shouldn't have bid." He accuses me of driving up the bid price in cooperation with buyer B (total bullshit) and refuses to pay.

So I filed a non-paying bidder notice, left negative feedback, and relisted the item. He was a newbie with 0 feedback before the auction started, which explains a lot.

I now force all 0 feedback users to email me before bidding. Those that don't have their bids canceled. If they can't read the simple instructions on my auction, they aren't worth selling to - assuming they would even pay to begin with, which is doubtful.

16. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Or, someone might see frustration in the idiots who bother to bid on an item in the first 6 days, driving up the prices... when you could as easily waited until the last moment and applied the amount you were willing to pay.

I have defended "sniping" on this forum previously, and will continue to do so. The idea of proxy bidding pretty much makes sniping a non-issue... if you put in an amount that is the max you're willing to pay- and someone else is willing to pay more- whether they bid with 5 seconds left or 5 days, it should make zero difference.

I see people who bid during the week and drive of prices as more dangerous-- since it gives wishy-washy bidders a chance to decide to up their bids after being outbid. IF a guy bids $100, gets knocked off as high bidder with 3 days left, he now has 3 days to rethink if the item was worth more than $100. And if it is, then he comes back in and drives up the price more. Guys who know what they wanna pay and wait until the last minute to put in that info result in the lowest possible prices.

-Vince

17. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

18. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Don't put a reserve next time.

Depending on what you are selling, a starting bid of .01 with no reserve will get more than a high starting bid or one with a reserve. Buyers are turned off by high starting bids and reserves of any kind. Do a test and see for yourself.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Agree. As a buyer, any type of reserve auction is a non-starter with me. I can't be bothered to play the little reserve game. Just tell me your minimum price and be done with it.

High starting bids don't bother me, though. Better a high start than a $0.01 start with a reserve.

And I have the same question as Marvin re: Ryan's auction. I'd expect the bid to drop back to the starting bid if one of two bidders cancelled out.

20. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I have been lucky so far.

I have sold 1 item, my remote control chopper for $550 and didnt have a single problem with that transaction. And I have purchased a DVD.

My only gripe, is that I still have 0 feedback after 2 great transactions.