***save Family Guy***

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peddle, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Family Guy is on it way to being cancelled. I don't understand why. Every Thursday my friends and I get together and watch family guy. It is a fantastic show that does not deserve at all to be cancelled.
    The show is by far the most outrageous show on TV and rivals the Simpsons.
    PLease take the time to sign the petition on the link below.
    And if you have never watched the show, take the time to watch Thursday @ 8pm on FOX
    and please help us save this show.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/savefg2/petition.html
    Also if you want any other info, go to the REAL website
    www.thefamilyguy.com
    Thanks for you time.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Rivals the Simpsons? Shit, it mops the floor with the Simpsons. Count me in.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

If mops means "completely rips off" or "aspires to be", then, yes, it mops the floor with The Simpsons.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Ike: We may have to chalk it up to difference of opinion, but have you watched the episodes lately? They're written like the writers have the attention span of a monkey. I agree, Simpsons was the better show in it's prime, but it's been going steadily down hill since after season 6 or so.

5. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Family Guy and the Simpsons are two completly different styles. Family guy is definitly not ripping off the Simpsons. If they were ripping off the simpsons you'd be able to tell - Peter would just be getting a different job every single episode.

I sit down Thursday nights and laugh my ass off at Family Guy. When I sit down on Sunday the Simpsons is lucky to get a couple good jokes in. Which is really a shame, it set a high standard for years, but I think Family Guy has come into its own.

JQ

6. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I agree. While they are 2 different shows The Simpsons because of the many, many years of laughs it has provided is overall the better show. In the past 3 years Family Guy has taken the crown hands down. Who knows what could have been had Family Guy been givin its rightful chance on T.V. to run as long as The Simpsons. Hopefully we will find out if the petitions work.

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Ike...not to be rude, but it's people like you that are getting the show cancelled.

I get the feeling you have never even given the show a chance. It is so so sOOOOOO far not like the simpsons.

I am a huge fan of both shows and I don't think anyone here abd mouthed the Simpsons at all, I never ever miss either.

But Family Guy took a "formula" that worked for the Simpsons and took it to a new level. Hey wait a sec, the Simpsons got a formula from some other show too...hmmmm, what was that show called...oh ya, the Flintstones. Remember all the comparisons and similarities.

The only similarities between the Simpsons and Family Guy is that they are animated and that it is based on a family.

The comedy and stories between the shows are ever so different. The Simpsons is still a family based animated sitcom. Family Guy is an ADULT animated sitcom. It contains adult material and adult based humour.

So before you judge us and judge the show, sit down and watch it and believe what we are talking about. Family Guy IS the funniest show on TV, there is no doubt in my mind.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Oh please. Watching this Sunday's episode, I found the Simpons to actually copy some of Family Guy's animation styles.

I really doubt this show will die. If Comedy Central was smart, they'd buy up the rights to it.

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I think I will have to go with Ike. The writing on Family Guy has been so wildly uneven, I'm sort of on the fence about signing. Sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me wonder why that is funny. Most of their pop cultural references seem more like they are directly lifted from the source, not parodied. (Why was lifting part of a musical number shot-for-shot, lyric-for-lyric from "The Sound of Music" funny?)

I think it is hypocritical to accuse the Simpsons writers of having the attention span of a monkey when I don't see Family Guy looking especially slow-paced.

I fail to see how mentioning Alfonzo Ribeiro makes you better than The Simpsons, which last week effectively satirized the ineffectuality of gay pride marches and the irritation of going to the movies nowadays. And that's just the beginning. This season has so far been better than the previous season, so I think Al Jean (current EP) is doing an okay job.

If I may quote Dobie Gray, "Other folks imitate us, but the original's STILL THE GREATEST!"

13. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I feel your pain. And, I hate to troll, but I can't sign this. It just doesn't appeal to me. I saw 2 shows and cringed both times. A very racist comment about African Americans playing a basketball game, and thinking he was watching UPN, just did it in for me.

There's plenty of channel space for it, if you like it. And, good for you if it's saved, but if it does die, I'm not going to cry. It's lasted longer than it deserved as far as I'm concerned.

14. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

why is this thread Simpsons vs. Family Guy? The title is "***save Family Guy***", not "Compare Family Guy to the Simpsons".
    Many, many people like the show and hope that Fox either reconsiders or allows another network to scoop it up and do something with it.
    Personally, I'd love HBO to pick it up and let the writers go even more nuts then they do now. The nudist episode was great IMHO, and I'm a huge Stewie fan ("my god, I was flat, oh well, Brian, get this straight jacket off of me") [​IMG]

15. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Even if Fox were to bring back The Family Guy (which would be the fourth time they've given it a shot), the length of time it takes to produce each episode would mean no new product until 2003. Also, The Family Guy is bringing in even worse numbers than Fox's Thursday Night Move from last season, down almost an astonishing 30%.

16. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

As for the possibility of switching networks, apparently it was considered during the Fall of 2000:

17. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

18. Adam Lenhardt

19. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

20. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I like Family Guy and I want to save it. No soapboxes here. I want this show to remain on, but geez give it a better time slight! Hey FOX, in my house, there's one cartoon on Sunday night that should have died after season two (*hint* it's not the Simpsons or Futurama). Maybe Family Guy should be there instead.

These, of course, are just my opinions. I want Family Guy to live on.

~~Nathan