What's new

***save Family Guy*** (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Family Guy is on it way to being cancelled. I don't understand why. Every Thursday my friends and I get together and watch family guy. It is a fantastic show that does not deserve at all to be cancelled.
The show is by far the most outrageous show on TV and rivals the Simpsons.
PLease take the time to sign the petition on the link below.
And if you have never watched the show, take the time to watch Thursday @ 8pm on FOX
and please help us save this show.
http://www.petitiononline.com/savefg2/petition.html
Also if you want any other info, go to the REAL website
www.thefamilyguy.com
Thanks for you time.

Ike

Screenwriter
If mops means "completely rips off" or "aspires to be", then, yes, it mops the floor with The Simpsons.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ike: We may have to chalk it up to difference of opinion, but have you watched the episodes lately? They're written like the writers have the attention span of a monkey. I agree, Simpsons was the better show in it's prime, but it's been going steadily down hill since after season 6 or so.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Family Guy and the Simpsons are two completly different styles. Family guy is definitly not ripping off the Simpsons. If they were ripping off the simpsons you'd be able to tell - Peter would just be getting a different job every single episode.

I sit down Thursday nights and laugh my ass off at Family Guy. When I sit down on Sunday the Simpsons is lucky to get a couple good jokes in. Which is really a shame, it set a high standard for years, but I think Family Guy has come into its own.

JQ

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I agree. While they are 2 different shows The Simpsons because of the many, many years of laughs it has provided is overall the better show. In the past 3 years Family Guy has taken the crown hands down. Who knows what could have been had Family Guy been givin its rightful chance on T.V. to run as long as The Simpsons. Hopefully we will find out if the petitions work.

Ike

Screenwriter
Family Guy and the Simpsons are two completly different styles. Family guy is definitly not ripping off the Simpsons. If they were ripping off the simpsons you'd be able to tell - Peter would just be getting a different job every single episode.
Let's see-an animated family that consists of a wife, a boy child, a girl child, a dog, a baby, and a bumbling overweight dad. What show am I describing?
Of course it's ripping it off, but it's ripping off the best. The Simpsons isn't laugh out loud funny-it's ironic and more subtle (though I won't say that of the Popeye gag) than Family Guy. I say sign the petition if you want to, just don't bad mouth the originals! :D

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ike...not to be rude, but it's people like you that are getting the show cancelled.

I get the feeling you have never even given the show a chance. It is so so sOOOOOO far not like the simpsons.

I am a huge fan of both shows and I don't think anyone here abd mouthed the Simpsons at all, I never ever miss either.

But Family Guy took a "formula" that worked for the Simpsons and took it to a new level. Hey wait a sec, the Simpsons got a formula from some other show too...hmmmm, what was that show called...oh ya, the Flintstones. Remember all the comparisons and similarities.

The only similarities between the Simpsons and Family Guy is that they are animated and that it is based on a family.

The comedy and stories between the shows are ever so different. The Simpsons is still a family based animated sitcom. Family Guy is an ADULT animated sitcom. It contains adult material and adult based humour.

So before you judge us and judge the show, sit down and watch it and believe what we are talking about. Family Guy IS the funniest show on TV, there is no doubt in my mind.

Ike

Screenwriter
So before you judge us and judge the show, sit down and watch it and believe what we are talking about. Family Guy IS the funniest show on TV, there is no doubt in my mind.
I've watched the show several times. It's fine enough. It's not, in my opinon, the funniest show on TV, but that's not saying much. I'm not judging the show, just the constant bad mouthing of The Simpsons. I felt I had to stick up for it. If I want smart and sly, I'll watch The Simpsons. If I want satirical and rude, I'll go to the much raunchier, funnier South Park.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Oh please. Watching this Sunday's episode, I found the Simpons to actually copy some of Family Guy's animation styles.

I really doubt this show will die. If Comedy Central was smart, they'd buy up the rights to it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think I will have to go with Ike. The writing on Family Guy has been so wildly uneven, I'm sort of on the fence about signing. Sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me wonder why that is funny. Most of their pop cultural references seem more like they are directly lifted from the source, not parodied. (Why was lifting part of a musical number shot-for-shot, lyric-for-lyric from "The Sound of Music" funny?)

I think it is hypocritical to accuse the Simpsons writers of having the attention span of a monkey when I don't see Family Guy looking especially slow-paced.

I fail to see how mentioning Alfonzo Ribeiro makes you better than The Simpsons, which last week effectively satirized the ineffectuality of gay pride marches and the irritation of going to the movies nowadays. And that's just the beginning. This season has so far been better than the previous season, so I think Al Jean (current EP) is doing an okay job.

If I may quote Dobie Gray, "Other folks imitate us, but the original's STILL THE GREATEST!"

I don't think anyone here abd mouthed the Simpsons at all
You should have been here yesterday. They spoke of the show as if it was My Mother the Car.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I feel your pain. And, I hate to troll, but I can't sign this. It just doesn't appeal to me. I saw 2 shows and cringed both times. A very racist comment about African Americans playing a basketball game, and thinking he was watching UPN, just did it in for me.

There's plenty of channel space for it, if you like it. And, good for you if it's saved, but if it does die, I'm not going to cry. It's lasted longer than it deserved as far as I'm concerned.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
why is this thread Simpsons vs. Family Guy? The title is "***save Family Guy***", not "Compare Family Guy to the Simpsons".
Many, many people like the show and hope that Fox either reconsiders or allows another network to scoop it up and do something with it.
Personally, I'd love HBO to pick it up and let the writers go even more nuts then they do now. The nudist episode was great IMHO, and I'm a huge Stewie fan ("my god, I was flat, oh well, Brian, get this straight jacket off of me") :D

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Even if Fox were to bring back The Family Guy (which would be the fourth time they've given it a shot), the length of time it takes to produce each episode would mean no new product until 2003. Also, The Family Guy is bringing in even worse numbers than Fox's Thursday Night Move from last season, down almost an astonishing 30%.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
As for the possibility of switching networks, apparently it was considered during the Fall of 2000:

Sunday, April 23, 2000 - 11:01 PM

Ailing TV Series Seek New Homes

By Josef Adalian and Michael Schneider

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - With a number of high-profile but low-rated primetime TV series on life support this season, studios find themselves aggressively hunting for a few miracles.

The latest example: Fox's ``Family Guy,'' which may be resurrected next season at a new address.

20th Century Fox Television, which produces the animated series, is in early talks with UPN about moving the irreverent cartoon from Fox Broadcasting Co. to the Viacom-owned network. UPN execs have expressed interest in the show, though its relatively high pricetag may be a stumbling block.

While the Fox network hasn't yet axed ``Family Guy,'' the show has struggled to find an audience and is considered at best a long shot for renewal there. The show has consistently done well with young men 18-34, however -- making it a perfect fit for the testosterone-soaked UPN sked.

UPN might pair ``Family Guy'' with ``Gary & Mike,'' a claymation-style comedy that had been expected to bow on Fox this summer but now is likely to end up at UPN. Industry insiders said UPN is close to a deal to pick up the six episodes of ``Gary & Mike'' produced for Fox while also ordering additional episodes of the series.

``Gary & Mike'' comes from Big Ticket, a relatively small production unit of UPN parent Viacom, making the deal all the more attractive to both companies. Fox, already overloaded with animated fare, appears more than happy to part with a show that may be too narrowly targeted to work on its lineup.

As for ``Family Guy,'' the animated show bowed in midseason last year in the post-''Simpsons'' time slot to strong numbers but wildly mixed reviews. The laff-a-second format succeeded with young male ``Simpsons'' followers. But some critics were appalled by the show's edgy humor, especially an infamous scene where the head of a John F. Kennedy Pez dispenser is shot off.

Fox yanked the show after two episodes last fall but relaunched it in March, to barely modest ratings success. ``Family Guy'' and ``Gary & Mike'' aren't the only struggling skeins trying to stave off the Grim Reaper.

Imagine Television, which produces the critically worshipped half-hour ``SportsNight,'' has been feverishly lining up potential bidders for the Aaron Sorkin-led show should ABC opt against bringing it back. HBO execs are said to be interested in a plan to reinvent ``SportsNight'' for the pay cable network: The same cast and characters would return, but the show would essentially be crafted anew as an HBO series.

Another Imagine show on the bubble, Fox's ``The PJs,'' is on deck to move to the WB, which has an option to pick up the show as early as next month; however, a strong development slate might make the WB less inclined to order ``The PJs.''

WB has already snagged one of the biggest prizes of this bubble season, striking a deal with Viacom Prods. for ABC's ``Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.''

ABC's sophomore sitcom ``The Hughleys'' is also said to be on the market, with both UPN, and to a lesser degree, the WB, considered potential bidders.

NBC has already given DreamWorks permission to find a new school for ``Freaks and Geeks.'' ABC and Fox had expressed interest in the critically acclained show, although insiders said the chance of either network picking it up is now slim. MTV execs also like the show, but its high production cost may prevent a deal.

One show unlikely to get a second chance elsewhere: the WB's ``D.C.'' The hourlong drama about young interns, from Studios USA and executive producer Dick Wolf, has been put on indefinite broadcast hiatus, effective immediately. The WB will temporarily fill the 8 p.m. Sunday slot with repeats of ``Charmed.''

Ike

Screenwriter
why is this thread Simpsons vs. Family Guy? The title is "***save Family Guy***", not "Compare Family Guy to the Simpsons".

Two reasons: one, is the first reply was about The Simpsons, and it snowballed from there. Second, because there is already a Save Family Guy thread, and unless this thread is a comparitive thread, it's a duplicate, and will be closed and a link to the original will be provided.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think it is hypocritical to accuse the Simpsons writers of having the attention span of a monkey when I don't see Family Guy looking especially slow-paced.
Of course not. The writers of Family Guy have the attention spans of a monkey tripping on acid. But that's been the style of the show from the get go and that's what they were aiming for. The Simpsons used to have fairly consistant and well thoughtout episodes. There were even some half-way touching episodes mixed in there (Moaning Lisa, for example.) But now it's just a 24 minute long string of jokes. And those jokes aren't nearly on par with Family Guy's in my opinion.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Two reasons: one, is the first reply was about The Simpsons, and it snowballed from there
The first reply was simply an opinion. It's also an opinion I agree with. Moppin the floor might be an overstatement, but I haven't "laughed so hard I cried" at the simpsons in a while, but as for FG, every week.

So when it comes to the Simpsons comparison problem...you were the one who started the arguement. The other guy just stated an opinion.

Ike, I'm not out to get you or anything, we obviously have a totally different opinion on the matter. But there is a large group of people out there who live for the show.

I'm 23 years old and in my last year of college. And I guess it is us YOUNG ADULTs who cherish the show. When i told people at my school today that the show had been cancelled there was a large outcry.

Since last night the petition has grown. I signed as signee 3500 and when I went on this morning, it was at 10000. It's only growing from there.

And when comparing the simpsons, many people i talk to actually think the Simpsons had to turn up comedic heat and "push the envelope" on toilet and sex humour. Take Sundays episode...there was a line "stop bangin my wife", now that has never been a style for the Simpsons.

There is a rumour, and I stress RUMOUR that the executives of the Simpsons actually stressed to have Family Guy moved to Thursday nights @ 8pm. a slot that the Simpsons wouldn't even be able to compete in. And that time slot has been a been a death blow to FG.

Hopefully some other network will notice the originality and genuine great comedy, and not be like Fosx, and just look for a quick shot to stardom. Remember, Seinfeld took 4 years before it really started to catch on....Family Guy could be the next big thing, but it probably will never REALLY get the chance it deserves.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I like Family Guy and I want to save it. No soapboxes here. I want this show to remain on, but geez give it a better time slight! Hey FOX, in my house, there's one cartoon on Sunday night that should have died after season two (*hint* it's not the Simpsons or Futurama). Maybe Family Guy should be there instead.

These, of course, are just my opinions. I want Family Guy to live on.

~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks