What's new

Saturday Night Live Season36 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Weekend Update was pretty weak sauce. I'll give Jane Lynch props for bringing it on each skit she was in, she looked like she was having a good time, even if the material was okay, not all that great.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I caught parts of the show and basically agree that it was terrible. A shameful waste of a really funny host.

The Denzel impersonation was awesome, although the sketch itself was lame (and qualifies for the "no punchline" hall of fame).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The one thing about the Denzel-sketch that's troubling is that the last three minutes of the sketch repeated the first three minutes of the sketch. The first half excited me because, hey, here's a distinct new voice! But then, it was really something he could have done in about five minutes of stand-up.

When was the last time the show had someone just do a stand-up routine? I remember Harry Anderson and Joel Hodgson getting memorable spots in the '80s. And in '86, they brought on Sam Kinison a lot.

(Oh, wait...Dane Cook. Never mind.)

I would kill for more absurdism and anti-comedy from the show. If that's what they excel at, I say let them bring it.

"The Kickspit Under-Underground Rock Music Festival" and the "Potato Chip Astronaut" and basically any of those bizarrely-dark characters Will Forte did were the best things about last season (along with past stuff like Zell Miller and "Fly High, Duluth!"), but they were few and far between.

Actually, if the writing staff is good at weird, that kind of makes it make sense that the more traditional sketches seem plain and uninspired. They probably don't care enough to put any actual thought into them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The show was okay and had its moments, but that Gilly sketch was the worst thing ever. The Denzel sketch was interesting due to the impersonation, but it wasn't as dead on as last week's Miley Cyurs sketch. That was a lot better written to boot. The funniest moment of the night was during the Mom's Boyfriend Show when Magic Johnson gave a shout out. So hilariously offensive. And I fell asleep during Weekend Update.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the Mark Zuckerberg piece during WU was pretty funny. It actually mentioned the same thoughts I'd had about the casting in the movie. You have all these handsome guys playing most of the leads, then cast Jesse Eisenberg, who looks like the Frankenstein monster, as the main lead? I know MZ isn't exactly a male model, but he's not going to make children cry and point, either.

I also liked the Football Night in America bit. It's excruciating to have to sit through that Faith Hill caterwauling every week. I'm glad someone else noticed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't see the Football Night sketch on Saturday night, but they re-played it at least twice during the Sunday Night Football game.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Sex Ed Vincent's Sex Symposium" might be the best sketch I've seen in the last two or three years. I almost find it hard to believe it was an SNL sketch -- it seemed like something straight out of Tim & Eric. The new featured actors are really bringing some new life into the show.

That one new guy did a pretty fricking funny Michael Cera. But I just want someone to stab Wiig to death whenever she's on screen. Especially during that whole "Dream Home" sketch.

Need more straight-up absurd sketches like the French dancing. And it's somehow never annoying when Hader cracks up as Stefon.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hader as Stefon is, to me, the funniest bit that SNL has done in a very long time. Every time he is on, it completely kills me. I think the reason why him breaking doesn't interfere with the humor is because they make it such a part of the sketch.

ON the "Live" 30 Rock, they brought up them breaking on The Carol Burnett Show... which didn't happen as often as people remember. But when it did, it was absolutely contagious because it was completely real, and the audience knew why it was funny. Seth Meyers in that sketch plays the Harvey Korman role, he pushes Hader as far as he can go... and then doesn't stop. The egging on means you know he can't hold it together, and that tension, waiting to see if he can or can't, that's one of the funniest moments in television.

The rest of the episode had some good moments, but a lot of "eh" also. The last half was definitely better then the first. The Reid sketch at the beginning was fairly funny.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I only caught bits and pieces. "Sex Ed Vincent" was pretty good. I might've laughed once or twice during the sketch about the girl who idolizes her big brother.

But mark my words: the French dancing sketch will be remembered 20 years from now as one of the absolute lowest points in the history of the show.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR

Hader as Stefon is, to me, the funniest bit that SNL has done in a very long time. Every time he is on, it completely kills me. I think the reason why him breaking doesn't interfere with the humor is because they make it such a part of the sketch.

ON the "Live" 30 Rock, they brought up them breaking on The Carol Burnett Show... which didn't happen as often as people remember. But when it did, it was absolutely contagious because it was completely real, and the audience knew why it was funny. Seth Meyers in that sketch plays the Harvey Korman role, he pushes Hader as far as he can go... and then doesn't stop. The egging on means you know he can't hold it together, and that tension, waiting to see if he can or can't, that's one of the funniest moments in television.

The rest of the episode had some good moments, but a lot of "eh" also. The last half was definitely better then the first. The Reid sketch at the beginning was fairly funny.

Tim Conway describing the siamese elephants, and when he tries to get out 'baschnorky' is comedy gold.

Then Mama chimes in with 'you sure that a@@hole's through" and levels them

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by John_Lee

Tim Conway describing the siamese elephants, and when he tries to get out 'baschnorky' is comedy gold.

Then Mama chimes in with 'you sure that a@@hole's through" and levels them

On of the best moments in TV:

The longer it drags on, the more he won't stop.. This is back when real "Live Studio Audience" meant something.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree that Stefon is hillarious, this was only the second time I have seen this character and when Hader starts to laugh is too funny.

Overall I thought the show was awful, I like Ema Stone too but they came up with some dogsht sketches for her.

So who are the new cast members? So is the guy that did the bit "I love that" on Weekend Update new? I know the black guy is new from a bit ago when he did Will Smith, are there new girls?

edit - Gawd that Tim Conway clip is HILARIOUS!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm sure someone (if not all of you) will disagree with me, but Hamm hosting is the only sure highlight of every season now, and last night was no exception. The Back to the Future auditions, Shy Ronnie (can Rihanna be any hotter? I think not), another "Vincent Price Halloween Special," the YouTube "crying" sketch, and even the "Highway Cops" skit was semi-decent.

It's Hamm's enthusiasm and commitment that puts him over the top. But as funny as the Price and BTTF bits were, it did make the first part of the show feel like Celebrity Impression Parade. That said, Hamm's Robin Williams (and Hader's Alan Alda) was astonishing.
And as much as I feel that -- like Kristen Wiig -- Fred Armisen is massively overused at the expense of several of the other cast members, Armisen's Liberace never fails to make me die laughing. Just one of the reasons why those Vincent Price sketches are so fucking classic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I fast-forwarded through any of the skits or music bits last night, which is probably a record for me.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought this was a rerun with Hamm hosting again, thank goodness I recorded it in my bedroom. I think Hamm is a funny guy and was going to watch it at a later date but was glad it was a new episode.

I agree with Josh that the BTTF auditions were great, I thought Haders Alan Alda was exceptional, Hamm's was great and I liked the Eddie Murphy bit also.

Shy Ronnie I liked and agree, Rhianna looked awesome.

I thought the skit near the end with Hamm and Wig performing at the club was funny, just the way Hamm looked and acted made me laugh; especially when he would hit the one note and his facial expressionhe gave was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks