What's new

Saturday Night Live-Season 5...Any News? (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I was just curions if anyone has heard if we are getting SNL season 5 soon? Last year around this time we got word that season 3 was coming in May, so I'm thinking that we should be hearing something soon. If Universal is keeping to the same schedule that they did last year. If not, then I'm sure we will be seeing this around Christmas time this year. I'm anxious to finish off my collection with season 5.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
No news yet--I have no doubt we'll see it within the next few months though; I don't think they'll wait all the way to the fall.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Being only three episodes into S4 at this point, I'm in no rush.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But obviously I'd love to add it to my collection, although I'm much more concerned about what the next release will be, if there even is one.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure it will be announced before too long. But devoted SNL fans will tell you that Season 5 was not so hot. However, Jane, Larraine & Gilda got a bit more to do in that season since so many of the guys had left by then.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
They need to include that special "Bob & Ray with Jane, Laraine & Gilda" as an extra. Also, season six WAS pretty bad; maybe they can release it as a combo set along with season seven?

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Yes -- even tho the Bob & Ray special aired during Season 4.

But then, so did "Things We Did Last Summer," and they added it to the Season 3 set.

"Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" would have made a good extra, but it's already out on its own.

One thing that really should be available is "Steve Martin's Best Show Ever" -- essentially an SNL reunion show, done live from Studio 8H with the majority of the original cast. At least one segment from this special (Festrunk bros. with Belushi as their mom) is included in one of the "Best Of Steve Martin on SNL" DVD compilations (thanks to someone here who tipped me off to that; I had no idea any part of it was available anywhere) -- it's not really a SNL show, but certainly is in spirit.

Of course, it's from 1981 -- so all bets are off on where it would go.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait until season five is released. I already have the other four seasons, but I can't get the closed captions to work. The back of the box says closed captioned. Is there some sort of Easter Egg I'm not finding?? Has this been addressed before?

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'm disappointed that Season 5 isn't going to be released in May.I thought that Universal would stick to the schedule of releasing season sets in May and December.Obviously not.I know it's much too early,but should I get concerned if there's going to be a release in December?

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Have you tried the "closed caption" option on your television set? Sometimes that's the only type of caption available on a DVD title.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I just recently started collecting SNL. I bought the first 2 seasons last month and plan on getting 3 and 4 soon. I really, REALLY hope season 5 gets a release. I remember dating back to the first season release, David Lambert had said that in order for subsequent seasons to be released, the first set would have had to sell extremely well. As is the case with most TV/DVDs, subsequent seasons tend to sell less copies than the one before it. Based on that, the struggling economy and the costs incurred to clear the music, I have to wonder if it's enough to justify a 5th season release.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Season 5 is definitely coming from what I understand; I believe Lorne mentioned it in an interview. Beyond that it's pretty certain that the non-Lorne seasons will not be released. :rolleyes

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I am anxious to collect them I wish they'd get back to two seasons a year.. otherwise momentum will slow... but I don't mind if they skip the non-Lorne Years.... but I Hope they keep up with special nice hardcase editions when they first come out... I can't wait till we get to the seasons with Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Nora Dunn etc those were great years.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I'd like the non-Lorne yes solely because of Eddie Murphy. I remember in the late 80s I had the 'Best Of Eddie Murphy: Saturday Night Live" VHS tape Paramount had put out. I watched it so many times I practically wore it thin. Should they decide to even consider releasing those seasons, they'd have to put either Murphy, Joe Piscopo or Julia Louis-Dreyfuss on the box art. I have a feeling the 'casual' fan won't remember too much about Charles Rocket, Mary Gross or Gary Kroeger.

Also, I know there's been a lot of discussion about the dreaded 80-81 season but I'd still like to see it released. That season after all was Eddie Murphy's debut. And given the quality (or lack thereof) of the season, it can't be much worse than some of the stuff SNL has spewed out in recent years. Just my $0.02.

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil

Plus don't forget the infamous Charles Rocket incident. I think it could sell fairly well. Not only the Eddie Murphy aspect but the musical guest lineup would be a good selling point for that season as well (Prince, James Brown, Cheap Trick). Plus it was only 13-ish episodes so they would probably use a lower price as a selling point.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember what year Billy Crystal(You look Marvelous), and Martin Short(I must say) started but I want those seasons the most.
I also think it would be unfair to skip a season(80-81) just because it's frowned upon by fans of the show.

FrankNolan

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I'm primarily a fan of the original show and the '86-'93 seasons, but I'd still like to have the early Eighties on DVD:

'80-'81 - Lots of great music and one great show, hosted by Bill Murray, plus the first Ebersol show, a curiosity that I may have seen on Comedy Central years ago but hardly remember.

'81-'82 -In the first half, some weird Michael O'Donoghue-related stuff that I've read about but still haven't seen (or don't remember).

'82-'83 -The season where Andy Kaufman was banned and Buckwheat was shot.

'83-'84 - The show starts to get legitimately good again, with especially memorable episodes hosted by Billy Crystal and Robin Williams.

'84-'85 - The Crystal/Short/Guest/Shearer season. Classic.

I wonder what the apparent holdup with Season 5 is - clearance issues?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure completists would like every season. The problem with releasing the infamous 80-81 season is that if it doesn't sell then that might slow down or even put a stop to future seasons coming out. Releases have to sell for the next one to come out. That's business. No one's going to pay $60 to hear the mildly-talented Charles Rocket say a naughty word.

And the idea that the non-Lorne years shouldn't be released is absurd. Eddie Murphy is arguably the show's most popular performer ever.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
80-81 was such a short season, (only 13 episodes) why not combine it with the following season? (Or sell it alone for less, and put Eddie Murphy on the cover?) Bad rep or not, there's too much history there to just skip over it. And it's not like we ever see these in reruns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks