What's new

Saturday Night Live Season 37 (1 Viewer)

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
The one thing that made me laugh last night was Sofia Vergara doing Fran Drescher. I was always annoyed by her, but her impression was perfect! The rest didn't impress me.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I thought Sofia did a pretty good job. At least better than I expected. As far as this episode goes, the highlight for me was Digiorno Pizza commercial. I actually laughed out loud for the first time in a long time watching SNL. I don't even know why I found it funny, but I did.
I also think that Drunk Uncle is pretty funny. But it might be a little too real to be funny to some.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Scott-S /t/315061/saturday-night-live-season-37/90#post_3914493
I also think that Drunk Uncle is pretty funny. But it might be a little too real to be funny to some.
Yeah, I really like Drunk Uncle. His Christmas/holiday appearance, was, like you say, a little too real, but I found it funny for that exact reason.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
What impressed me about Sofia is that you really couldn't tell she was reading cue cards. She actually looked at the cast members she was interacting with while saying her lines. Most of the regulars and many of the guest hosts just look off into space when saying their lines. There seems to be no attempt anymore to actual learn what you need to say. The other thing I'm starting to get tired of is these bits where everyone does funny dances. The premise is some sort of talk show and all of a sudden everyone is doing some sort of goofy dance. I don't get it. It's funny once, but that's it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I suspect she can't read English fast enough to make cue cards feasible, which is why she had to memorize her lines.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Overall I thought Sofia was horrible. Loud and Colombian. She couldn't keep her accent from appearing so she spoke up.
But damn did she look sexy when she was giving Gilly the evil eye...

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Last night's show was only OK. I love Josh Brolin, but he was hardly ever in anything. Steven Spielberg was amusing in Laser Cats, and The Californians was funny. Bill Hader couldn't keep a straight face doing that one.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It was weird how little Brolin was in the show. I did enjoy Spielberg sending himself up with "Laser Cats 7". That bit where he pulled the VHS out of his fanny pack and gave it a flip before inserting it into the player was priceless. I also enjoyed the "Game Of Thrones" segment.

I don't recall Hader breaking up a lot during his early tenure on the show, but in the last year or so he's become positively Fallon-esque in his inability to keep a straight face in many sketches.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Man, I thought that this show was really terrible. The laser cats sketch was the worst and I am usually a fan of those. Weekend update was lousy and sketch after sketch seemed just phoned in. I will admit to enjoying "The Californians"....

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree that this last show was just plain yawn.
I am getting really annoyed at the always "over the top" performance of Wiig. She has no ability to play anything but full on clown mode.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought it was one of the better shows of the season. shrug. I would say 75% was decent to good, not sure if my expectations are low or realistic for SNL now.
GoT was not bad. Californians I thought was funny, I live in SoCal so I know a lot of those freeways but if I lived closer to the Valley I bet it would be even funnier. I liked the slo-motion hallway, for some reason I loved the music and Pedrad look hot. Laser Cats was great with SS and referencing most of his movies. I liked Pharoh the other night as well.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jay Pharaoh is always fun because even if his material is lousy, his dead-on impersonations of people he doesn't remotely resemble are a riot. :)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I have no idea what Jay-Z sounds like but my wife laughs everytime Pharaoh does his Jay-Z impression.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The steaming version was really cut short. It is only 48 minutes long this time around, due to musical bits in skits I presume. They removed the cold open, but that is available on its own. I don't know what else they removed, but the gust musical performances are both included.
Edit: Just read about a Games of Thrones bit that was on the show. That was also one of the pieces cut from the "full show" streaming version.
A simple search found it at
http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explains-the-nudity-in-game-of-thrones?popular=true

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
So, did Eli Manning compare with Peyton? I've always liked Peyton's show, and I think the show was funnier then than now.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Peyton episode had better material, and though the Little Brothers was great, Peyton's United Way is a classic.

The one moment that made me LOL was when Eli mimed making a sandwich, dropping it, checking to see if anyone was looking, and then happily eating it.

Also, "Well, there's a great place called The Olive Garden. You've gotta go to New Jersey, but it's worth it,"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks