What's new

Saturday Night Live - Season 33 (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

That's what I was wondering. It would have made a LOT more sense, but they were able to save it by having Diaz show up and help boost interest in her and Kutcher's "Vegas" vehicle.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
WOW - just watched the Ashton episode - one of the strongest SNL's in a lont time IMO. Gnarls Barkley was nothing short of incredible, too. Was that the cast of The Big Bang Theory as the backing band?

The Cougar Den was great, Whig in everything was great, Weekend Update was great.

They really should think about dropping the political opening sketch - it is the stalest part of the show anymore...

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
The "Cougars" sketch affected me in ways I am not ready to deal with. I haven't been that turned on by Cameron Diaz since "The Mask" (which was pretty much the ONLY other time she did it for me).[/quote]

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
While I liked Whigs "just kidding" character, I thought following it with the political comedian, which is almost the exact same verbal gimmick, was a bit much.

I'm all for putting these to rest, and lets see some new stuff.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
John Lee: Okay, that scene in Charlie's Angels was pretty cool, too. But I've never again seen her so jaw-droppingly breathtaking as she was in "The Mask."

Randy: I thought Fred Armisen's "political comedian" was the perfect follow-up to Wiig's fast-talking BECAUSE of the similar verbal gimmick. I was actually HOPING they'd follow with Armisen, but didn't think they'd actually do it.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
New episode tonight with Shia LeBouf hosting. I'm hoping for another Sofa King commercial. :)

~T

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"It's a Match" was pretty funny, though I'm not sure why they didn't just use the "Match Game" name and the real names of the panelists?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I didn't care for the digital short and the final sketch, but it was a very good episode. Shia did a great job like the last time he was on. I never liked the MacGruber sketches in the past, but I thought they were funny this time.

~T

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I agree. I thought "not another mcgruber sketch", but these were very funny.

Match Game was great. The Digital Short was lame. Scared Straight was kind of funny, but otherwise, not that great

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

I'm curious about this too. Every other game show parody uses real celebrity names. The characterizations were dead on too. I LOVED Shia's "Doug Henning".

C

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it was that much funnier for those who know who each character was based on. It was sort of like watching an alternate universe version or something.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese version of "The Office" with Ricky Gervase introducing it on the SNL Digital Short was pretty funny.

Steve Carell did a good job as host last night.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
"It's funny because it's racist." HA!

It was an excellent hosting job by Carell. Very well done.

And an interesting appearance by McCain. I didn't like his first commercial - it didn't seem to quite know what the core joke was - but his Weekend Update was great (especialy when he started suggesting they take another look at Edwards.)

And speaking of the candidates, the split-face Obama/Clinton bit was also very funny.

But was I missing something, or was the entire joke with the weight-loss guy that he kept breaking through the paper figures. I couldn't for the life of me see any other joke in it. But surely they wouldn't structure an entire sketch of that length around that one joke.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> was the entire joke with the weight-loss guy that he kept breaking through the paper figures.

Yes, plus he kept bragging that he had lost TWO HUNDRED POUNDS! to get another round of applause.

So there were 2 jokes, which is 2 more than most of the sketches.

Thought it was a lame season finale. The Office parody was just as boring as the real show, so I guess it was a good job.

Anyway, back to "It's a Match", maybe the sketch of the year. I'm still trying to figure out who some of the panelists are.

In Match Game order:

top row: Brett Somers
Paul Lynde / Charles Nelson Reilly
??
bottom: Fannie Flagg?
Nipsey Russell
Doug Henning

Who was the woman on the top right?

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
For some reason I want to say Phyllis Diller was somewhere in that mix,but I may be thinking of Hollywood Squares.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I thought McCain was great. I (and my friend that I was watching with) almost died when he talked about the gaydar jammer.

We both figured that someone came up with that joke 5 years ago and saved it for *just* the right moment. :)

We were also just talking about life in Arizona the other day (another friend lives there for in-law reasons and loves to complain about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks