What's new

Saturday Night Fever: My thoughts on the DVD... (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I got the DVD today. Just watched it...
Film :star::star::star::star:1/2
Video :star::star::star::star:1/2
Audio :star::star::star::star:
Extras :star::star::star::star:
Overall :star::star::star::star:
Great transfer. Very 'film-like'. Blemish-free. Appropriate fine film grain. Rich colour in the 2001 Odyssey disco scenes - the best it has ever looked! Solid blacks. Great transfer.
Audio is also impressive. Surrounds are occasionally used and the music has been brilliantly reworked into the mix. Dialogue is clear for the most part, some ADR parts are a bit weak.
The VH1 documentary is good. Not comprehensive though.
Badham's commentary has some interesting moments.
The deleted scenes are in good shape and one wonders why some of them were cut.
Where's the original trailer, Paramount? Silly boy! Ya forgot the trailer ya mamalook! ;)
Quality DVD from Paramount.
Thanks for reading.
Gordy

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Sounds great but was it in a plastic keep-case or a cardboard one? I had heard it was only going to be a cardboard one... Is this true?

Several mentioned that though Grease was released most places with a cardboard box, at some places such as Sam's Club a keep-case edition was available... Anyone know if this is going to be the same case with Saturday Night Fever?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, it is a cardboard slipcase Digipak-style dealy. I like it. When you fold out the inner sleeve, there is the famous 5 panel photo of JT doin' his moves! He's the greatest dancer! :emoji_thumbsup:
Get this DVD, it's fab.
Gord

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Woo! No sweat, Dave! :)
It's a great film. Maybe I should give it 4.5 stars, actually. I love disco music (and, err... Neil Young!) and the Marty-esque story is superb. One of the great 'Urban Safari' films in the cinema lexicon. Towards the end of the film, there is a great shot of NY skyline - Twin Towers and all - great pieces of architecture, says I. Goddamn son's ah bitches. :angry:
"He always hits my hair."
Gord

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the review. All the websites
are awaiting their screener. Should have
it early next week, if all goes well.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Ron. I'm sure that your good self will give a more comprehensive (Read: full of jargon ;)) review than I did! :)
Here's hoping the Serpico DVD has as good a transfer as this.
Strange that Paramount are releasing If.... on region 2 in December and there's no listings for a region 1 edition. Great film, glad a DVD is on the way. Hopefully Warner will release
O, Lucky Man! next year too.
Thanks again, Captain! ;)
Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks