What's new

Saturday Night Fever coming to DVD in 2002! (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Well it's about time! It only took us a Millennium to wait for it
biggrin.gif

Paramount has been doing DVD's right lately so I am sure it will be a GREAT final product!
Thanks Paramount!

wally

Second Unit
Nothing captures the "swoosh" of polyester like DTS! Hope this is the answer to the Paramount/DTS thread.
wink.gif

bill lopez

Second Unit
I saw it at the movies back in 1977. And sure it's OAR is 2:35. I say this because I remember feeling like I was in a disco because of it's cinematography. A feeling I never get watching on t.v.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Well, Staying Alive is one of those sequels, like 2010, that I like to pretend doesn't exist. But, as an act of support for Martin and the good folks at Paramount, I'd buy it. Actually, I will purchase another title from Paramount that is more to my liking in addition to the sublime SNF. That's a promise.
BTW, I'm pretty sure SNF was shot spherical, and not in scope. I don't see any of that awful pan effect or cramped framing in the P&S/FF version when I watch it.

YANG

Screenwriter
Actually guys...its the BEE GEE's song STAYING ALIVE that comes to my mind...when i look at the thread header.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Grease was great, but it wasn't no Saturday Night Fever.
Martin, I couldn't be happier (the laserdisc is just too dated), and this is one of my favorite movies. I'm going to show my support by buying 5 copies, one for each DVD player I have in the house. That way I'm never more than 60 seconds away from plopping it in and watching.
Now Martin, could you ask Garrett to whip me up a 1035i copy on Hi-Vision laserdisc? I think he can do better with this title than Top Gun.
-Brian

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Now if we can get Columbia-Tristar to jump on the bandwagon and release "Thank God It's Friday", we can have one Hell of a Disco Party!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
Can you give us any rough date as to when Grease will be available?

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that the VH1 Behind the Music episode that they did on "Saturday Night Fever" is included in the disc. And on the forthcoming "Flashdance" as well.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I for one will certainly buy the following immediately upon release.
Saturday Night Fever for my wife.
Staying Alive for my wife.
And Grease for both of us.
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I will buy both SNF and Staying Alive in a heartbeat the day they are released! Please put both in the same package!
Would love to have Grease as well.
All this great music in DD 5.1 makes my mouth water!!!!
------------------
Travis -- "Contrary to popular belief, Travis Hedger, DID NOT infact invent DVD. He was just a very enthusiastic fan!!!"

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Awesome news. The opening of this film (Travolta strutting to "Staying Alive") is one of the defining cinematic moments of the 70s. The rest ain't too bad either.
biggrin.gif

...since a PG version was released THEATRICALLY then I'll take the other alternate version AS AN OPTION.
I don't consider the R-rated version "alternate". This was the original version released to theaters, and this is the one that MUST be on the DVD. Or maybe I'm misreading you, Dave?
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

TedD

Supporting Actor
SNF is 1.85:1 spherical (flat) and thats how it was originally released. Been there, projected it. (Village theater, Boulder CO.
Ted

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm assuming that this will be a 25th Anniversary release since I believe it originally came out in the fall of 77.
Jeff

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The first theatrical release was rated R, which is the same version that's been on laserdisc, but a few months later it was re-released with a PG rating with the language toned down and sex cut out, since the music was popular with kids who weren't old enough to see the first release. I think both versions are still in print on VHS; I have a copy of each.
The last laserdisc edition had the end credits sped up and the reprise of "Stayin' Alive" at the end dropped so the whole movie would fit on one disc! It has a really bad side break too (it breaks up a dissolve to the next scene).

bill lopez

Second Unit
I'm sure it's OAR is 2:35. Back then in the 70's a big movie would only open in about 4 theaters in the whole state and then after about 4 months they open everywhere.
Now back then we had Movie Palace theaters which would show 70mm movies on the movie's 1st run. They would charge $3 to see one 1st run movie. When the movie would run in smaller theaters it would run with a co-feature and charge $1.
I saw SNF on a 1st run movie house and it looked very epic in scope.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind a lot of 70's-era theaters had a 2:1 fixed aspect screen, so they'd show flat movies with the top and bottom cut off and scope films with the sides cut off.
The old LD and VHS versions I have show a boom mike at the top of the screen when John Travolta walks through the door in the final scene; I don't think they had Super 35 back then so this was probably supposed to be shown in 1.85. (I have a more recent VHS of this with the shot zoomed-in to hide the boom mike; many songs were taken out of that version too and their listings in the end credits were blacked out!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks