What's new

Saturday Morning TV from 60's and 70's by Warner Bros (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I was at Target the other day and they had a promo playing for these sets. It said May 26.

Rodrick

Second Unit
All this talk is making me want both sets when they come out end of May.

I checked at Best Buy, Future Shop and Real Canadian Superstore. They will be out at these stores May 29th cause in Vancouver Canada they hit shelves end of the week all new releases. Not Tuesday like the USA and other places.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

So, what's the verdict? Am I going to Best Buy today, or next week?

I'm still betting on next week...

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Looking over the review copies - the really good news is that they have the opening credit/song for Magilla Gorilla - after they left it off his boxset.

Rodrick

Second Unit
That guy who insisted its out today. Well son. Its not. One store I asked they said Only the 60's and its not even out til next month. Thats where I live in Vancouver BC Canada

Other stores weren't even considering to carry that. I want both myself. I can wait.

I just went on BestBuy Canada they have a posting for both and says na so far. So maybe it will be May 26th. But Canada is behind America.

Mark Lx

Second Unit

They've both always been May 26 on Amazon Canada, they just haven't had a low enough sale price yet for me to order.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I belong to a DVD club in Vancouver BC. Its just down on SW marine Drive They have tons of DVD's of all sorts. I thought those 2 dvd's would be there today.

Oh well everybody is correct. This place said so themself. They'll get it on May 26th.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I know its the Holiday in America. But Is the 26th guaranteed in America.

One store promised tomorrow only the 60's set will be out. Im hoping for the 70's.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I got an e mail from Amazon Saturday. Both of my sets shipped. I used free shipping. So, i will see them in a week. But they both shipped at the same time.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Got my sixties set today, and watched most of the non-double-dip material – excluding Marine Boy, which I still feel seems out of place in this package.

The package has its faults with print quality (but a disclaimer is offered to mitigate that), some double-dipping, and no complete content listing outside of the individual disc menus – but, overall, IT IS WORTH IT!

The Porky Pig Show has opening and closing credits AND INTERSTITALS! The Magilla Gorilla Show has opening and closing credits – making it not a “true” double dip, as the Magilla “Complete Series” did not have these credits included anywhere in the set.

It features other shows I never thought I’d see on DVD like Peter Potamus, Atom, Ant, Secret Squirrel, and Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles!

Brief (average about 5 minutes each) but informative and entertaining features on Quick Draw McGraw, Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles, and The Herculoids with various animation figures including Paul Dini, Mark Evanier, and Earl Kress.

A true Who’s Who of voicing, headlined by Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Don Messick, Paul Frees, and all the top talents of the day!

And, it sure made me long for complete sets of Quick Draw McGraw and The Herculoids!

…Maybe this’ll help pave the way!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I grabbed both sets today, in equal parts to encourage larger releases, especially for Herculoids, Yogi's Gang and Speed Buggy, but also encourage these best-of sets for the 60s, 70s, maybe even the 80s.

Two minor complaints: the 70s set IDed the Josie and the Pussycats episode as "Josie and the Pussycats Goes to Outer Space" in the onscreen guide when the episode is from the first season of Josie and the Pussycats. Minor complaint, just stuck out.

Second, I dunno what the deal is Marine Boy. Looks cool, to be sure, but did it ever air on a Saturday morning? I never saw it listed in my research, nor any evidence of it airing on any of the Big 3 networks at all. What's the deal here?

Anyway, I enjoyed this little cross-section look at Saturday mornings of the past and hope to see more in the future.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
YEAHHHHHHHH finally I got it.

All the 70's was awesome. Tarzan is the best followed by Chan, and Phooey.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I got both sets even though I hope this doesn't mean no complete sets of these shows which is what I really want. My only complaint is on the 3 episode shows you can't watch the whole show together you have to load one cartoon at a time which is a bit frustrating since they did the extra effort this time to include the original openings on the 3 cartoon shows. Only Magilla is all together but you can't select individual cartoons on that one. So overall a good set but still some signs of slopiness.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Well, based on what I looked at for the Quick Draw episodes, not all of the segments presented as "complete" episodes were actually aired that way. WB shuffled some of them around so they don't match up quite right. Just an observation, not a complaint though.

I would not call any of this sloppy though, I'm just grateful to be getting the material out there, thanks very much.

One other mystery for me though is the inclusion of Tarzan. Why do we have an episode here and not included with the Lon Ranger/Zorro releases? Have WB come to an agreement with the Rice Burroughs estate recently for a solo episode or could it be issues with just not having quality transfers to work with? Just wondering.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Warner appears to have the rights to the Tarzan character (probably licensed through ERB, Inc.) so they can release any Tarzan production, no matter who originally produced it.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Then that leaves one conclusion: the cartoon must be in pretty bad shape and in need of restoration. Either that or they want to do all of Tarzan in one set. Either way, I hope we'll see an eventual Tarzan set spin out of this.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I am also astonished that Tarzan has never been released in a complete set.

I will definitely pick up the Complete Tarzan series DVD set if and when it is released.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Watching SMC: 1970s - Volume 1 - Disc 2 with my nephew as I type this. Excellent! And the best part is you can switch to the Spanish track on some episodes and hear the instrumental theme!

Glad to know that Magilla Gorilla's main/end titles have been resurrected. Hopefully if an episode of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour is included on Vol. 2, the original interstitials to it will be shown as well, unlike its beleaguered 2006 "Complete Series" DVD. If @ first you don't succeed...

Also take notice that the main thrust of these volumes is showcasing the premiere episodes of each show (save for "The Space Car" episode of The Jetsons on SMC: 1970s - Volume 1 - Disc 1).

BTW, I got my copies from Wal-Mart last night. Bring on Volume 2! :cool:

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Matt:

DANGER: LONG EXPLANATION ALERT!

Are you referring to the fact that all of the Quick Draw material is from 1961 except the Snooper and Blabber “Outer Space Case”, which is from 1960?

(To quickly digress, one of the Augie Doggie cartoons has a credit sequence from 1959 tacked on to it, but it is also from 1961 – you can tell by the Hoyt Curtin music scores that were only on QDMG’s very short third season in 1961. Maybe that particular cartoon has a bad quality credit sequence, and the 1959 one was substituted for visual clarity. Who can tell!)

Take it from someone who was there for virtually every original broadcast, that sort of shuffling was commonplace on what I call the “Big Five” H-B funny animal shows that were made up of three different cartoon features.

These shows were HUCKLEBERRY HOUND, QUICK DRAW MCGRAW, YOGI BEAR, MAGILLA GORILLA, and PETER POTAMUS. All of these shows were originally produced for late afternoon / early evening syndication. With QUICK DRAW, MAGILLA, and PETER later moving to Sat AM network.

If three cartoons originally aired as part of a single show, they almost never aired that way twice. They would mix-and-match different installments, as long as there was one of each per show. (Meaning one Quick Draw, one Snooper, and one Augie – but almost never the SAME THREE that originally aired together.)

Sometimes, even repeats and new cartoons were mixed together. You can see examples of this as you work your way through the different shows of the Huckleberry Hound DVD set – which seems to have made an extraordinary effort to recreate the experience of those first 26 episodes of The Huckleberry Hound Show, to the point of including REPEATS in the mix. (Oh, how I wish the subsequent seasons would be released!)

As early as HH show number TEN, one of the three cartoons MIGHT be a repeat, with the other two being new. So, it was a constant round of shuffling.

As the shows went on, even some of the CHARACTERS were shifted (traded?) from one show to another. Huckleberry Hound later got Yakky Doodle, sending Pixie and Dixie to The Yogi Bear Show in return. And Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus swapped Ricochet Rabbit and Breezly and Sneezly – but those shows are configured in their “classic form” on the DVD – though an interstitial shows Ricochet as part of the Potamus show.

Finally, to best illustrate the fluid nature of these shows, we need look no further than The Magilla Gorilla Show DVD set.

There are enough iterations of the three original series (Magilla, Punkin’ Puss, and Ricochet) to create 23 shows… BUT there are EIGHT EXTRA Magilla cartoons, over and above the total of “complete shows”. And they would be worked in as they became available.

So, these shows would (as previously stated) rarely, if ever, be run the same way twice.

I hope this long and winding explanation in some way clears things up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks