sattelites or tower

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian_C, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

What is better sattelites, or towers. Why and why not? Thanks.

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Depends on what you want out of a speaker I spose.

Give us some more info on what you want.

3. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

i need it for a hometheater system for everything. POwerful speakers with good sound. People say that satellites sound almost the same as tower. I just need to kno what the dif is and what is better.

4. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

I got this thing called energy encore system. It is like award winning. I wanna kno if these satellites are better or towers.

5. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

its just that the speakers look kind of small and was wonderin how they can fit all that power into one little box if that is true.

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Part of it depends on how big your room is, how loud you listen, and your general sonic preferences. Some people prefer the presentation of a quality tower speaker to that of a bookshelf speaker, even when used with an external sub, probably because they feel that there is a more coherent and desireable soundstage. In a relatively small room, I would suspect that bookshelf-type speakers (+ external sub) would work better than tower speakers. In a relatively large room, I would recommend looking at some nice tower speakers, and of course you would do well to add a quality external sub (particularly for movies) to get more presence down low and to get more of a room-filling effect.

7. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

I can return this system because i just got it. I have a pretty big room. Like 25 feet by 35 feet. So is this speaker system bad for this room? And what is the difference between them, tower and satellite.

8. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What is your budget for all five speakers + external sub? What is your percentage HT/music? What will you be using to drive these speakers? Finally, do you think you will have any intention of upgrading in the future?

A tower speaker is simply a speaker which needs no stand. Generally, a tower speaker is considered to be a speaker with extended bass response relative to a bookshelf-type speaker.

9. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

So all the tower speakers do diferently is bass? But do satelittes not fill a big room well? And I am usin a denon 3802. My budget is about 7000-8000 canadian. I dont have that much of an intention to upgrade so I want something good from the beginning.

10. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

That is your budget for all 5 speakers? What percentage HT/music will this system be used for?

Well...the most noticeable difference between a typical tower speaker and a typical bookshelf-type speaker is bass response. But if you take a look at most speaker lines, the speaker companies tend to upgrade all levels of performance (highs, mids, and lows) as you go up in the speaker lineup. And some companies even have bookshelf-sized speakers which have very good bass response. So if I were you, I wouldn't look at it as simply "towers vs. bookshelves". I usually recommend that new users buy the "best" speakers that they can afford, and add external woofage from there.

There are a lot of good speakers from those Canadian companies. Try to audition as many as possible which fall into your price range.

11. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

I will use this for mostly dvd and a little bit of music.

12. Christian_C

Christian_C Auditioning

What do u really mean by percentage?

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

14. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I meant, generally, how much of the time will you be using this for movies, and how much of the time will you be using this for music.

15. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

hi christian_c, there are many speakers that you can audition like paradigm, def tech, psb etc.. generally within a brand, the towers can handle more power so they can play louder. also consider the sensitivity of the speakers. the higher the sensitivity, the less power it will require to play louder. also buy the best sub you can afford. for upgrading, i thought the same way as you do that i will buy the best i can afford and not upgrade later. guess what!