Sattelite Dish Covers - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Maishlish, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Mar 30, 1999

I'm considering investing in a cover for my sattelite dish. I'm going to be connecting it this weekend, and was wondering if this was something that I should buy for the long winter ahead.

I've heard two different opinions:

1) Good - The cover is supposed to prevent buildup of ice, snow, whatever, thereby improving the signal in adverse weather conditions. It's also supposed to improve signal strength in the rain, by keeping the drops out of the dish area.

2) Bad - the Cover does not do anything.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have for me!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
    They are useless for rain. Rain fade is not caused by water on the dish, it's caused by water in the atmosphere. I usually get rain fade about 5 minutes before the pour-down hits when it is moving in from the south. In your area, it will take less rain to cause fading because of the angle of your dish. It will be lower and pointing through more clouds. If it becomes a problem, a bigger dish will help.

As for snow, I don't really know. We don't get much down here in the south. I've read that people use non-stick cooking spray and the snow just slides off. There are also heaters for the dish pan.

3. JoeCW

JoeCW Auditioning

Jun 24, 2002
    As far as snow goes, the easiest solution I've found is to fill a super-soaker-type squirt gun with hot water and hose down the dish if it gets covered with snow. Involves going outside in the snow/cold, and only works if the dish is somewhat accessible, but it's a cheap & easy solution. As with rain, though, when it's snowing, most interference will come from snow and clouds in the atmosphere, not from snow on the dish.