Sats or bookshelfs in a small room?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob*S, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I'm converting a small(approx 10x10x8)unused bedroom to a media room. Unfortunately, the wall lengths are further compromised by doors and an "angled corner" that makes the 2 longest walls measure only 8". The room will be used for both home theater and music (most everything except country and little classical).

I'm trying to decide if I should go with minis or monitors. I've listened to a number of sat-sub systems but they all seem to come across as thin. But I'm concerned that the small dimensions of the room will make placement of monitors very difficult, especially if they are ported in the rear.

I'm also pondering the trade-offs between wall-mounting and stands. Since, we just had our downtown destroyed by an earthquake this week, I'm thinking that wall mounting may be a better choice than using stands but I'm again concerned for how this will effect the sound.

Any general guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
    Bob

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'd definitely go for bookshelves rather than sub/sat, even if you have to place them very close to, or on the walls. I would also try to mount them on stands rather than on the walls for sure. Use blue tak, and heavy stands, and no earthquake will hurt them, excepting a VERY big one, in which case the speakers are the *last* thing you'd worry about (unless you're like me [​IMG] ).

Oh, and definitely get a sub. I didn't mean to imply bookshelves as opposed to sub/sat. You want bookshevles/sub [​IMG].
    As for rear-porting, at least a couple inches should do minimally, though more like a foot or so would be better from the wall, to minimize boominess. If you do have to place the speakers very close, I'd just take them home and test them out first to make sure, but I wouldn't worry about things that much. And I certainly wouldn't restrict myself to front-ported speakers, or speakers that would mount well on a wall.

3. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I was planning on using a sub no matter what....actually the younger family members would strangle me with speaker cord if they can't have some semblance of deep bass. [​IMG]

I realize I'm probably over-reacting to the earthquake but when you are watching big objects bounce around as you consider electronics purchases, earthquake-proofing runs through your head. You are certainly right that if a really big one hits, I'll not be that concerned about audio equipment.

I listened to some PSB Alphas which I may see if I can audition in-home.

Bob

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Also, even with bookshelf speakers, you will probably be running them on the 'small' setting, so bass output/distance from the walls shouldn't be a huge issue.

Just get a good subwoofer. It is just fun!!!

5. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I have all my equipment a room roughly the same size as yours and debated the same thing. I went the monitor route and couldn't be more happy. Stick with the monitors.

6. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I'm going to try this again but fleshed out a bit better.

As I said above, I am building a home theater in a small room. The leading contender for speakers right now is a Monitor Audio Bronze setup with the B2 bookshelfs as mains, the Bronze Center and Bronze FX rears, most likely in bipolar mode. I have family members who LOVE bass so I am thinking SVS 25-31PCi. This will be driven with either a HK 630 or the Denon 3803.

I know that this system is overkill for the room but it will likely end up used elsewhere in a couple years. Any thoughts or experience on this potential setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

7. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

If you end up getting a rearported bookshelf, i recommend you seal off the port with a plug and then it basically becomes a sealed unit, and then you can blend it in with a sub and it should all be good.

8. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Benihana.

One of the reasons I chose the Monitor B2 is that it is front-ported....that and the fact that I liked the sound and it is not outrageously expensive. Of course, if others have suggestions for other speakers I might consider, I'm all ears.

Bob

9. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

Well, I thought I was pretty content with the sound of the Monitor Audio Bronze speakers but I was in Santa Barbara yesterday and listened to a couple of more systems.

The first was NHT SB3 fronts with a SC1 center and Mirage Omnisats as the rears. These were driven by a NAD T73 and sounded great. The shop had done this installation in another tight space and it worked out well they claimed. As an aside, after listening to this mundane setup, we sat around and listened to some Coltrane on Bel Canto electronics on some HUGE towers that sounded incredible.

I decided to listen to the DefTechs again. I took a brief listen to the StudioMonitor 350s which he paired with the ProCenter C2, BR1.2x rears and a lowly ProSub100. The 350s sounded pretty nice although I think if I go this route I will step up to the ProCenter2002 and a bigger sub.

I've also added NAD into the mix for a receiver. I've heard it driving the above NHT system above, as well as some PSBs and it does an incredible job of articulating music.

I still plan to give a listen to the Paradigm MiniMons at my PITA local dealer. I'm pretty sure he'll suggest a Denon receiver since everything thing else he has is $$$$$$$$.

Anyone with experience/opinions of any of the above speaker systems- especially in a small room?

Thanks for any input.

Bob

10. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I went to the local Paradigm dealer here yesterday and they suggested MiniMons up front with a CC-270 (I think) and either Atoms or with Titans or Focus as the rears. They also suggested the PDR-10 as the sub. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the MiniMons so I was unable to audition them. I know the MiniMons are more speaker than I need to fill the space but I also am looking for equipment which I will enjoy when it is moved into a new room, hopefully in the next two years. The MiniMons will have to really impress me to knock off the Monitor Bronze setup. I am also going to see if I can find someone locally who has the Axiom M2s/M22s to both listen and see build quality.

I'm concerned about having direct radiating-speakers as the rears in this room since the seating is going to have to be near the rear wall. I'm anticipating using the wall at the top of the pic for my front speakers.

Any thoughts on the suggested Paradigm setup or suggestions for speaker placement in this room?

See sketch at idisk.mac.com/penchanted/Public/room.gif