Satisfaction by theRolling Stones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Why is this song consitered so "contriversial". Well I wasn't born yet so I don't know. Just to let you know, I thought the cover version of this song really sucked. Who did it so I could shout language (Just kidding) at this person for ruinning a classic.

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Could it have been the use of blatant sexual innuendo just prior to the great Sexual Revolution that was soon to come in the late sixties?

Were you thinking of the cover by Devo?

3. Ryan L B

No, it was female, a radio station played some proformance with the cover that just sounded awfull

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Britney Spears did a cover of "Satisfaction." Pleae don't ask me why I know this, I assure you I don't have any of her recordings.

-Chris

5. Ryan L B

Same here

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Not that I was around when the song came out, but yes, the sexual content is what made it controversial. (Keep in mind that "Let's Spend the Night Together" had to be changed to "Let's Spend Some Time Together" when the Stones performed it on Ed Sullivan(?).) The whole song is about how he is sexually frustrated. Granted, it's tame by today's standards...

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I WAS around then! You have to realize, that all anybody had then was either AM radio or crappy mono portable record players (I never even heard the term "turntable" until 1968)! Lyrics were at times totally a mystery due to the poor reproduction. Because of this, me and all of my buddies thought that when Mick was saying "trying to meet some girl, who tells me...", we thought he was saying "trying to make some girl pregnant" (I think over-horny young imaginations also had something to do with this interpretation)---you actually couldn't say "pregnant" on AM radio at that time. Also, "Baby better come back, maybe next week, can't you see I'm on a losing streak" was slang for "can't do it now, I'm having my period" (this WASN"T our imaginations!).

I can still remember hunching over my record player for 4 hours straight trying to transcribe the lyrics to Get Off Of My Cloud for my band!

BTW, if anyone wants to hear this song in TRUE STEREO, it's on the original UK CD of Hot Rocks (the ones mastered by Mobile Fidelity). God damned Allan Klein had this disc withdrawn so he could replace it with the piece of shit that is currently on the market---How I DESPISE this man!! Other true Stereo tracks on it were: Play With Fire, It's All Over Now, Heart Of Stone, Get Off Of My Cloud, Mother'e Little Helper, and Paint It Black---all of which are in mono on the current CD. There is also much wider stereo separation on ALL stereo cuts on the old disc.

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

The Devo cover of this song is absolutely classic!!
    The video is one of my all time favorites. [​IMG]

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

"I Can't Get No....Satisfaction" is a bit of not so well hidden sexual innuendo.

Spear's version, reportedly loved by Mick Jagger (don't do drugs, kids!), dumbs the song into a song about teenage liberation. The lyric, "How White My Shirt Should Be," a take on over-commercialization, becomes "How tight my skirt should be," an anthem for all large breasted, perfect looking, upper class, white teenagers. Similarly, the whole verse about trying to have sex with a groupie is eliminated, but I don't remember what it was replaced by (and I'm not downloading it to find out.) Spear's version, in other words, sucks major ass.

Devo's take, however, funks the song up, and is actually not bad. I don't prefer it to the original, but it's still a good cover version.

(Getting deeper into the Stone's lexicon, they became more and more brash with what got through, culminating on Goat's Head Soup with "Starfucker" (Star Star, as it was renamed in the US), which actually had lyrics other than the repeated chorus of the phrase starfucker they (don't know who) felt were too profane to allow, and on my LP copy of the album, they spin them backwards. (It's the verse involving fruit.)

10. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I have always found it amusing that "Start Me Up", a song forever associated with thousands of nationally televised sporting events actually ends with the lyric - "...you make a dead man come".

11. Ryan L B

I just sure hope that does not mean what I think it means.

12. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Yes, I believe it does.

13. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

14. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Didn't the "dead man come" line actually get lifted from old blues tune the Stones liked? I saw Bill Wyman being interviewed on Conan (I think) and he was talking about early profane blues lyrics, and he said there was a song that had a lyric similar to that.

Anybody know the name of the song?

15. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

16. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I will verify that the first London Records CDs of Hot Rocks are the best of that collection. They were divided into 2 albums, Hot Rocks 1 and 2. ditto on the above comments for Hot Rocks 1 and even true on Hot Rocks 2. Generally, the later tracks (Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Woman, etc.) all sound better than the Abkco releases, which are mostly in mono on both CDs.

When the London Hot Rocks came out in 1987-88, they were sold at import prices ($17.99). By the time I realized what they had, the cost for each came to $24 and $27. They are very hard to get now.

17. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

That be the song, Greg!

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor