Satellite with component/s video outs as good as coax?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Carlo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

We just had satellite hooked back up. Previously we saw a huge difference between s-video and composite (RCA/phono) or coax connections form the box to the TV.

BUT...with the satellite the coax appears to be every bit as good as the S-video and RCA connection! This is true both for our Mitsu rear projection and my old 27" Sony that is 4 years old!

How can this be? OK I know sat is way better than cable where I am, but I was expecting some difference between s and coax beyond slightly different color balance (which I can fix).

Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

SVideo IS a superior connection type. Stick with it.

I also noticed that my first Sat receiver did not show as much improvement with SVideo over Composite as the DVD player. That's because the SOURCE is a big factor. Many network channels are actually a fairly low-grade video source.

Try your experiement on one of the premium movie channels like HBO. It's likely you will see a greater difference between Composite and SVideo.

Note: The MPEG2 video standard used by the sat companies ship the video signal already separated. If you use the composite connection, the receiver has to mix the video then your television has to re-separate the video with the comb filter. You want to avoid this if possible.

Even if you dont see a difference with many channels, look at the program guide with both composite & SVideo. All those straight lines and text - SVideo should be clearly better.

3. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Using DISH:

I see a notable improvement over most if not all channels using S Video over composite. The 'apparent' resolution is better.
    One could argue if the optical 5.1 output provides better sound than using the analog audio outputs. Naturally the program material would have a great influence there.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Steve, consider yourself lucky.....the PQ from coax with some sat receivers is very good, almost as good as S-video, with others the coax connection is far inferior to S-video and composite.

I recently experienced this when I upgraded an old Hughes box that had very good coax PQ. (I was upgrading because the old Hughes box received locals in the 800s, as opposed to receiving them from their respective channel numbers....a minor inconvenience but enough to justify an upgrade [​IMG] ). Also, I wanted a receiver with DD output to connect to my A/V receiver.

Anyway, it took me three tries before finding a satisfactory replacement for the Hughes box with respect to PQ from coax. The reason this was important to me is that I feed a secondary TV (kitchen) via coax. BTW, the receiver that finally met all of my requirements is the Samsung SIR-S75.

With that said, although the PQ via coax is very, very good, the difference, as Bob alluded to, can be seen when viewing text but on my 20" set in the kitchen it's not bad at all.

Vin

5. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

See that's just it. I can understand not noticing much on my 27inch tube, but I figured the 55" rear projection would magnify any problems with the two sources.

Right now I'm setting up an external antenna and trying to get the best possible way to connect the sat + ant to the VCR without having to use the TV as the VCR tuner. As I lack S inputs on the VCR I think I am going to have send composite video and split audio from the sat box to the VCR (with the S and other audio split going to the TV). And send the ant in with coax to the VCR and then use the loop out to the TV. Except I have to try and take into account the hi def signal! Apparently (and I may be wrong) my HD tuner only tunes HD and not the regular channels so that means splitting the co-ax out to get both regular and HD signals. More splitting! ARGH!

Please forgive my rant!