Satellite wiring question (Chicago specific)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AnkushGosain, Nov 17, 2003.

1. AnkushGosain

AnkushGosain Auditioning

Mar 6, 2002
    (I think that this is the most relevant forum for this)

I have recently moved into a new townhome, purchased about a year after it was built, so I had no input on the wiring of the house. One convenient thing that was done by the builders is running RG6 cable from a central hub in the garage to each of the five rooms that you could want a tv in (LR,MBR,2BR,Kit,Den).

The problem is this: I want to use DirecTV and the homeowner's guidelines are fairly strict in that I must mount the dish on the penthouse (small cubicle on the roof level that provides roof access) and drill into the interior from that level only (cannot run wires on the exterior of the house). The builders did not leave any conduit in the wall running from the roof level to the ground.

So, the question is how do I run the cables I need (3-4) from the roof to the garage? I have tryed fishing blindly through the cold air return to get to the ground level, but am unable to make it past a bend on the second floor, near the kitchen. I don't want to run all of these cables along the baseboards - just plain ugly. Any thoughts?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    As someone with a lot of installation experience, I can tell you that since we’re dealing with a two-story home, it will be virtually impossible for someone to tell you how to do this without actually being on-site to analyze the situation.

It would probably be best to hire someone locally to run this wire for you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt