Satellite Video Audio Quality Compared to DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_s, May 5, 2002.

1. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Now I finally have my budget HT system together (thanks to the help from many here at the forum) and the sound and picture quality of DVD music and DVD movies is great. I have had it with ATT broadband service. Using the DCT-2000 cable box without the ability to use the digital sound, now that I can hear what I am missing, is something I would like to resolve. To convince myself I rented "Titan AE" to test my HT and it was incredible. The I watched "titan AE" On the downmixed DD5.1 (downmixed to left & right analog) supplied by Att broadband using the Motorola DCT-2000 and it had abolutely no LFE effects (using DPL II in movie mode) it did maintain reasonably good sound placement on the 5 channels. Yes I have the cable box set to Advanced/matrix.
    My questions relates to what I can expect if I were to go to Satellite. I have read mixed reviews on the quality of the Picture and sound due to compression techniques used so that Directv an Dishnet can fit all the channels they provide into the available bandwidth they have. I have not switched to satellite yet for two reasons. 1) From what I read the picture and sound quality are poor due to the compression issue 2) Dishnet and DirectV may merge and I am concerned about what this will do to the service and the equipment I would own.
    Questions
    I have a 53 inch RPTV. Would you expect that I will have "pixelation" and just generally poor quality pictures with satellite service? Would "Titan AE" look like I was playing it with my DVD player?
    How good is the sound? Is it close to DVD quality for DD5.1 and DTS? Would "Titan AE" sound like I was playing it with my DVD player and "blow me away"?
    Thanks all!!

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Richard, I have Direct TV in Tulsa, OK area so I can only speak for my area. I have an optical out from my 5 year old sat receiver to my Sony receiver. The DD 5.1 is excellent. I honestly do not feel there is a difference in sound compared to my dvd player. I recently viewed Titan AE on both sat and dvd and was amazed at both LFE( I have a SVS25-31PCi). I also feel that the optical out sounds better on all channels especially music channels. There is alot of DD 2.0 that sounds wonderful on my stereo. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

For video, I feel that satellite channels can vary considerably in what the offer visual wise. Most of the premium channels are excellent. I have heard that DTV can depend on where you live.

Hope I have helped!

3. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

4. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

What is this "Sat C" kit i read about. Does this help improve the Video Quality.

I am in Boston MA area if anyone knows if the Video quality is any good or not I would really like to know.

5. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

No the Satc kit allows reception of Showtime HD, it will do nothing to help the video quality of your channels.