Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don_K, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Don_K

Don_K Agent

First off, if I'm in the wrong forum or there is an FAQ or tutorial somewhere, please point the way.

I'm using an older projection TV with an S-Video and two other composite video inputs. I have a low end JVC AV receiver, where (I have it working, but still fuzzy on the concept) video in and video out have to be in the same format... composite vs digital vs S-Video.

Consequently, DVD player is going thru on S-Video, TV cable is going thru (composite) to the TV video 2, and for some reason, the VCR playback has to be on the TV video 3 to work. Can't get the bugger to record.

I see the weak link in this being the cable box. ATT Digital, with only RF or composite available. ATT tells me there's a new box in the future, but won't say whether it will offer S-Video, or when it will be available.

So I've done a little research on satellite. Couldn't find anything of substance on the Dish website, but after deep digging on the DirecTV site, found a little info.

From what I can gather, there are two boxes available: RCA and Sony. RCA seems to be similar to the ATT cable box in capabilities. The Sony looks like a pretty good fit for providing S-Video and composite video for the VCR, altho they appear to offer a Tivo-style recorder which may be a better bet for my needs... recording a broadcast program for later viewing.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom/caution about going with a satellite solution.

TIA

Don

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Don.
    First, most DSS receivers offer SVideo output. Both Dish and DirectTV.
    I happen to be a fan of Dish Network's PVR 501 unit that digitally records the bits from the sat BEFORE you see it. This allows you to pause, rewind and record. Of all my HT toys, this is the only one my wife brags about.
    My VCR is gathering dust because of the PVR. If you go with Direct, get the DirectTIVO unit. It offers many of the same pause/rewind/record features.
    For low-grade sources, Radio Shack sells a little adaptor that converts Composite video into SVideo. The quality is not great, but it does allow you to sandardize on one type of video connection. This converter costs about $20.
    The "Audio/Video Sources" fourm is the real place for this type of post, but the Basics area is fine to start. I suggest you go over there and do a search for:
    PVR501
    DirectTivo
    Satellite
    This should help bring up threads that contain many of your questions and answers.
    Good Luck. [​IMG]

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The new DirecTV powered by Tivo receivers (that's the new name) are on pre-order at Circuit City for $199. Some people are getting them for $189 and $139 on price matching. The dish is available for $0.01. Some are even getting free installation. Details are available at Tivo Community in the DirecTV section.
    Also follow Bob's search recommendation and you will find all of the positive things about the DirecTivo. There are very few negatives.
    -Robert

4. Don_K

Don_K Agent

Bob, Robert, thanks for your responses. Very helpful.

Don