Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob Segno, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Bob Segno

Bob Segno Agent

I've had it with Cox Cable.I need your advice,pros and cons.Direct-TV or Dish-TV? I need hookups for 4 rooms,and of course would like to get as many sports channels as possible. Thanks for any help.

2. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Hi Bob,

I currently have DirecTv, and I think it is great. I currently have 3 rooms hooked up, but I have the ability to have 4 rooms with my current hardware (my tivo takes 2 hookups from my multiswitch). The only difference I hearing about between directv and dish (other than package info) is dish does not compress their signal as much. I could be wrong about this. In any case, I don't think either will look 100% perfect on large HDTV screens. I know mine does not... I do have to say, though, cable quality was much worse...

I would check out orbitsat.com, as they usually have really good deals for new directv/dish customers.

Kimo B.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hey guys,

How is your Sat TV when it rains? I always heard about if you had a bad rain storm the picture would cut out. I'm on the fence currently with Direct TV and Digital Cable.

Thanks,
    Lee

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

My DirecTV system works fine in the rain unless is about to downpour. And then its usually only for a few minutes. It has more to do with the thickness of the rain cloud that's coming than the amount of rain that's currently falling. I find it to be a minor issue at best with the pros far outweighing this particular con.

And I'll second the recommendation for a DirecTV/TiVo unit (aka, DirecTiVo as you'll see it called).

-Steve

6. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, I don't remember my picture ever changing, or going out due to rain/snow storms. I do remember my parents picture going out, and that was due to 3 feet of snow covering the dish (nothing a broom could not take care off).. I had digital cable for many years (I was not able to get satellite), and I hated everyday of it. Let me clarify, I mostly hated the cable companies, esp. when they like to you (i.e., digital cable is digital quality) Yea right.

Kimo B.

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    If you are still listening, read my reply to Lainie H's thread. Gene sorry about the "if you are still listening" part. I thought the last reply was Sept. 7th