Satellite TV and bad weather

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott L, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Did several searches and came up empty handed for some reason, I know this topic had to have been talked about before.

But anyway Comcast NTSC cable has been crappy for me recently and the techs are unable to help with this audio problem I have on NBC. Here is an mp3 excerpt of Conan, keep in mind this is 24/7 even on commercials:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~jleonar1/nbc_audioprob.mp3

DirecTV keeps bragging of "digital quality" channels, which means nothing special but hopefully my audio problem would disappear. Question is how is the signal in bad weather, namely heavy rain and snow? I'd hate to be stuck indoors and have no news.

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I switched from DirecTV to cable partly because of there was no signal during bad weather. Heavy rain or snow and the signal is gone.

It was better PQ, IMO, and they did have the Playboy channel for $15/month, tho.

3. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I live in Northern Maine and the heavy snow never bothered mine. The only time mine would go out is if there was a very bad rainstorm. Even then I think the longest it was out was 10 minutes.

4. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Scott, I went from cable to Dishnetwork. The only thing to worry about is obstructions for the dish (ie trees and such). My experience has been such that though the picture isn't as good as dvd quality, it is far better than my cable was as well as the infrequency of losing the picture. With dish it is an all or none type of thing. The reception doesn't get bad but the picture will go completely out when it is a thunderstorm and downpouring. As mentioned before, it only happens for about 10 minutes tops.

5. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I lose my DirecTV signal two or three times a year only during torrential rain. It's usually only momentarily or 5-10 stretches of pixellization. My neighbor down the street loses Comcast more often than I lose DirecTV. When he loses it, he's usually at the mercy of the repair crew.

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I had directv for 8 years. The last 6 months with my triple LNB dish I was getting very frequent outages (even during the bottom of the ninth inning of an important yankee game[​IMG] or at the last minute of a movie) this would happen during light drizzle or cloudy days. The original sony dish I had never went out in seven years !!...I went back to cable for HD and I don't miss Directv.

7. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

anthony_b,

I know what you're saying, I lose my signal far more often since I went to the triple LNB dish, even though I have the same high signal strength that I have always had. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. However, I have absolutely no intention of leaving Directv for cable. I should note that when I say "far more often", I am talking maybe doubling what was already a very small number, which isn't bad at all considering that we get quite a bit of rain each year here in Louisiana. Not to mention a tropical storm/hurricane or two, or three.....

8. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

My satellite service (DirecTV) only goes out during thunderstorms, but then aren't we supposed to avoid watching TV during electrical storms anyway? [​IMG]

With my old cable service (Cox), we'd have a thunderstorm or heavy snow and the service would be out for hours, sometimes for a whole day. I haven't had the satellite service long enough to have dealth with a snow storm. As in the above posts, the peak downpours during thunderstorms cause the dish to lose signal for ten minutes at most becasuse that tends to be how long the heaviest rain lasts.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Unless you have some trees etc partially blocking the signal, on a good clear day, you should have a signal strength of >80 (Dish meters max at 110; directv 100 I believe).
    If it is up there, when the bad weather comes around it will drop to maybe 60 with very minor dropouts. If it is at 60 on a clear day you will lose it quite often.
    My sister was complaining and I checked the meter on a clea day and it was under 50. I nudged the dish and it was back up to 80 and no dropouts.

10. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I live in Southern California so we don't get snow, but we do get very heavy rain at times. In the three or four years that I have had my system, I have only lost signal 2 or 3 times and then only for a very few minues. Where I lived before, the cable was always going out when it rained. And it could take up to three days to fix it. This is only one of the many reasons that I was an angry and frustrated cable customer who turned into a much happier camper after getting DirecTV.

BTW and for the record, I listened to the Conan sound clip and could hear nothing wrong with it. It was of normal volume and clear as a bell. Not sure what I was suppose to be looking for, tho'.

Deborah

11. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

My dish on a clear day was 90...[​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    DirecTV has a relatively new 30" oval dish that is supposed to be far more resistent to rain-fade. I got the littler one for less money, myself. My service is interupted by really heavy rain opccasionally. It doesn't bother me since I have a DVR. I can always watch something off the hard-drive. Crumcast sucked day in and day out and I wouldn't go back!!!!

13. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

I live in central Florida,and in the summer rain comes down in inches very quickly.Directv loses signal from 30 seconds to 10 minutes max.You don't lose signal every time it rains.The stronger the signal strength you get less chance of signal dropout.I have had sat for 7 years and am happy with it.I would not disregard directv because of rain fade.Hope this helps

14. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Since getting DirecTV in 1996 I have experienced rain fade on 3 different occasions, during hailstorms.

Some of the 3 lnb oval dishes were defective and had way too many dropouts, don't remember the specific brand but a search over at AVS Forum might turn up the correct info.

Mine's a Channel Master, been up since sept of 01 with a Radio Shack Sat-C kit added about a year later when Showtime HD was added. No rainfade issues in the time I've had it.

15. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Geez, I had rain/snow fade more times than I cared to keep count of when I had DirecTV; pretty much any time it rained or snowed heavily. Guess it must have been something about the dish or the angle or something.

But I don't really watch TV anyway. I'd say I watch maybe half an hour or an hour every two weeks and then it's usually just to see if there's anything interesting on the neato INHD channels.

16. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

Dish Network, dual LNB owner here in Brooklyn, NY for 4 yrs. I live in a 3-story house. My landlord is a Direct TV subscriber. I constantly get calls from him during severe weather asking me if my signal has gone out. I keep my signal way more than he does.

17. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

If you want quality satalite TV, go C-band. I just switched to DISH and almost wish I didn't. I was seduced by watching more than one channel at a time and the guide system. But as far a picture quality and cost per month C-band still can't be beat. I had a C-band system for over 5 years an NEVER lost my signal, rain, wind and snow, no problems.