Satellite "tripod"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Stocker, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Nov 25, 2001

I'm going to be moving into an apartment that allows dishes in a couple of weeks but they only allow them to be placed on tripods. Where do I get these mounts and are they made specifically for satellites?

Also, I am going with Direct TV (mainly because of the MLB extra innings) and I noticed that I can get a dolby digital receiver for an extra $150. If I got this receiver would ALL programming be in dolby digital or just select channels like HBO? Is there any thing else that this receiver has that the regular direct tv receiver doesn't?

I'm sorry to ask the simplest of questions, but direct tv's website seems to be very non-informative (especially about the digital receiver)

Thanks for any help!

Andy Stocker
  2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
    Radio Shack has the tri-pods for about $50. You can make a bucket mount for a lot less though. Try DBS Forums (when the site is back up in a day or two) for directions. Basically it's a 5 gallon bucket, a galvanized steel pipe and a back of Quick-crete.
    You will only get Dolby Digital when available. PPV, some HBO, some Starz and all Showtime (I think). Even then, you may get 2.0 and not 5.1. It all depends on what the movie was filmed in.
    Look into DirecTivo or Ultimate TV. Both are DD capable and have digital recording with two tuners. I think D-Tivo is better but they are very hard to find now and the price has gone up. U-TV is on sale at Circuit City for $49 for new customers.
  3. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Oct 5, 1999
    You can use anything that is somewhat stable. I think the quick-Crete are probably a good idea as it makes the dish much harder to walk off with. You either need tools or would have to lug the cement to take it, but the tripod would be easy to take and likely wouldn't be as wind proof. When I first setup my dad's system we just pounded a pipe into the ground since it was dark and cold out. About a month later we installed it on the house, but the pipe worked just fine. Another time I attached one to a piece of wood on the ground with a couple of drywall screws as a temporary mount.