satellite to receiver cable question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by michael-j-w, Feb 28, 2006.

1. michael-j-w

michael-j-w Auditioning

I have DirecTV and I am going to upgrade to high def.
    Do I need to upgrade my cable going from satellite to satellite receiver? I currently have standard coaxial cable
    made by zenith and the current picture is fine for standard programming. I will be running Monster cable for
    all my other equipment. Will running better cable from satellite to receiver make that much difference?

Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Are you talking about the coaxial cable from the outside sat. dish to the sat. receiver? If so, the answer is no.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

I believe both Directv and DishNetwork will install RG6 for satellite between the satellite and your settop receiver box, it is only standard cable installation that uses RG-59. When I had digital cable installed by cablevision, they replaced the RG-59 with RG-6 when they installed it at my home.

So, you pretty much don't need to replace the cable which is most likely printed on it the type of cable it is anyway, at least mine was when I had DishNetwork.

Jay

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Please search for comments on Monster cables. Dayton, AR, Blue Jeans, Monoprice and a lot more companies have the same quality cables at 1/4 the price.

-Robert

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If your new service offers many more channels than your old service, the new service may be using higher frequencies than the old cable might have been able to carry.

Also the old cable might have been of marginal quality, you don't know that without conducting tests. The new service might change the cable just to make sure you don't have problems.

Assuming the cable had no problem conveying a particular SDTV channel to your tuner or receiver, if that channel is HDTV on your new service, the old cable will have no problem carrying that.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm