Satellite speaker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tamer C, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Hi everyone,

The search function is down so I couldn't do much searching.

Can you guys recommend the top satellite speakers that sounds great and look great too? I have a small living room and need to hook these to the walls.

Thanks.

2. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

The Energy Take 5.2 models are a great sounding little speaker ay about $100 per. They come with their own wall mounting hardare too. You will definately need a sub with them as they are petite. [​IMG]

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

The Totem Dreamcatcher system meets your described requirements quite well.
    Beautifull finish selections in real veneers.
    Totem website

Energy's top sat/sub system is the Encore and would be a step up in fidelity over the Take 5.2. They inlude the wall mounts with those too.
    The Encore set has a high tech look to them.

I haven't heard them but the small Gallo speaker system tends to get high praise too for looks.

4. DarylA

DarylA Agent

Tamer-
    I second the Energy suggestions. Went with my neighbor to audition both series. Rndrd up liking the Take 5.2 a tad better than the Encore series. I don't think you can go wrong with Energy. Good luck.

5. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I will check out the Encore from energy and the Take 5.2.
    The finish of the Totem speaksers looks great.

I hope I can listen to them somewhere.

6. DarwinU

DarwinU Extra

if you can tell us your budget, it can help narrow down the number of options out there for you...
    personally, for small sat/sub packages, I like Axiom because they use a quadpolar design for thier surround speakers...and they sound great too. I've also heard the Athena Point 5, which is also a very good package for it's size and price.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

JBL N24 have a wall moutning option, and are decent speakers.

From JBL.com

8. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

The Totems are fantastic! Great review of them in Home Theater this month.

9. JohnKim

JohnKim Extra

if you dont mind getting bigger speakers

i have mirage avs-200 speakers (almost identical to th energy take's)

and energy c-1's

the size of the c-1's allows for much fuller sound and i think sound much better for slightly more money, and are a great deal

10. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Thanks for the reples everyone!

I will have to compare all the ones you suggested and read reviews, listen, etc.

My budget is not more than $1000 for speakers.

11. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

With your budget you can easily get the Energy Encores. I have them in my Loft theater and they look and sound great. I added a 12" Energy sub for more bass. You can never have enough bass.[​IMG]

12. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tamer,

Welcome to HTF!

You have already received some great advice regarding the Energy Take 5.2 and Encore systems. Another I would highly recommend is the Polk Audio RM6700. Like the Energy speakers, the Polks are small and easy to wall-mount. They are available in black, white and "titanium," a silvery-grayish color that is a good match with so many of todays silver-colored TVs. I have listened to the Polks and really like them -- very open and airy for the under $1,000 price range. I thought they blended with the matching sub (in this case the Polk PSW303) better than most ultra-small sub/sat systems I've heard. I wish Polk included wall mounting hardware as does Energy, that would be a nice perk, but wall mounts for the Polks are easy to find as they have both keyhole and threaded mounts.

There are some good reviews of both the Polk's and the Energy's at CNET. CNET has made some funky changes to their website over the past couple of days, so here are some links which should make things easier for you:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=rating

http://att.cnet.com/electronics/0-63...0779962-3.html

You might also want to check out this CNET review -- in your price/size range and very good speakers:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...9093855-1.html

My final recommendation -- not easy to find, but worth the effort: RBH Compact Theater 5.1 The list on this set-up is $1100. for the 5.1 version (a 7.1 is also available). If you could find an authorized dealer who would knock off 10-15%, you'd be getting a heck of a deal on great sounding speakers. Check out the RBH website: http//:www.rbhsound.com Also, good reviews of these speakers can be found with a google search.

Good luck and please let us all know what you ended up listening to and what you decided to buy.

Debbie

13. jason willder

jason willder Stunt Coordinator

Why hasn't anyone mentiones the Bose? There good right? Oh I forgot about the budget.[​IMG]

14. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Aperion Audion (www.aperionaudio.com)are great sounding speakers and look better than most of the speakers mentioned so far. They produce a very good sound stage and blend well with high quality subs.

15. Tamer C

Tamer C Agent

Thanks Debbie for all the links and recommendations!! [​IMG] They were very helpful. The Polk RM6700 looks great in Titanium. My TV is a Sony 36" XBR with the silvery finish and these speakers would compliment the tv well. Soon I will need to research an AMP. I will read the reviews on cnet. They seem to like the Polk.

Michael, yes the Energy Encores are on my list. So far I my choices are:

1. Energy Take 5.2
    2. Energy Encore
    3. Polk Audio RM6700
    4. Totem

BrianAE, the Aperion don't seem to be satellites and I dont have space for bookshelf speakers.

Jason, I initially wanted to go for the Bose acoustimass 15. But after all I have read on the net about them and reviews, I backed off. They seem to just be marketed well.

Thanks for the input everyone.

16. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If performance vs. cost is of any interest, then I would recommend that you ADD to your audition list the JBL NSP1's (comes with four JBL N24's / one JBL N-Center w/wall omni-mount brackets & tools) and then add just about any sub of your choice (my brother bought the SVS 25-31PCi to complete his NSP1's HT setup), ... since the JBL NSP1 has usable documented objective benchmarked lower frequency** extending down to 89 Hz vs. the Take 5.2 - 110 Hz for the Fronts and Surrounds.

**Objective test documented by Sound&Vision Magazine and using the same Standard Speaker Test by Tom Nousaine, the JBL NSP1's also extends out to 18.9 kHz Fronts / 18.3 kHz Surrounds vs. Take 5.2 - 16.3 kHz Fronts / 13.2 kHz Surrounds. See the actual JBL NSP1 Speaker Graph Here - (other S&V Speaker Graphs for comparisons including Take 5.2, Encore & Bose AM-15).

My Yamaha's R-V905/RX-V595 fixed 90 Hz x-over blends the lower bass frequency to JBL NSP1's with no upper bass / lower-mid frequency hole from my AudioSource SW15 200w 15" sub - vacation house.

The JBL are also more dynamic (JBL trait), ... & after REFERENCE Calibrating the JBL's, it sounds more like your real*** local Cinema Theater ((actually better - w/powered-sub) vs. Home Theater, ... especially if HT is your priority.

***Beside personal experience (my JBL NSP1/AudioSource SW15 200w 15" sub & Yamaha R-V905/RX-V595 @ my vacation house), the 'real' theater comment from Brent Butterworth in his JBL NSP1 Speaker Review ...

17. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Tamer,

Are you just using these for Home Theater or do you want to listen to music too? How big is your room? What kind of music do you like? How small is small? [​IMG] Does the $1000 include the subwoofer?

If you want to use them primarily for HT, make sure you get a sub. If you want music, make sure you audition the speakers with the type of music you like. For example, I really like the gallo speakers for vocal jazz. However, I don't care for them as much with classical or rock music.

If you plan on directly wiring the satellites to your receiver (or amp) rather than wiring them through the subwoofer, make sure your receiver has a flexible crossover or the frequency range for the satellites matches the crossover frequency in the receiver. For example, you don't want to buy a receiver with the typical 80 Hz crossover if your satellites only reach down to 110 Hz.

Here's a partial list of some other options
    1. B&W Leisure Monitors w/ sub of your choice.
    2. Mirage Omnistats -- Lots of people love these.
    2. M&K Xenon -- Good reputation
    3. Boston Acoustics 1000? series -- Seemed "bright" to me.
    4. Gallo A'Diva, Micro or Due -- I like this line
    5. Morel SA-1 -- Well thought of by Sound&Vision
    6. Kef KHT 2005 -- Good reviews but I didn't care for it.
    7. Klipsch Quintet -- Smallest horn loaded speaker

Remember that as you go above 80 Hz, sound becomes more and more directional. This means that if you go with satellites that only go down to 120 Hz or so, it may impact imaging.

Good luck with your search.

Take care.
    Howard

18. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Double Post :b Someone should take away my browser's back button