Satellite Receiver Decision?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aristides, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Okay after getting a 55" Mitsu Set (WS-55311)I have become increasingly aware of the poor quality associated with analog cable broadcasting. After looking into Digital cable I've decided to go the route of Satellite TV (DirecTV).

I have purchased two receivers and obviously one dish. However I will only need one of the receivers. I'm extremely new to this format so I'm looking for help deciding which receiver I should keep.

Here are the two I have:

1. Sony B65 with HU card
    2. Samsung SIR-S70 with HU card

Right now it seems to me that the Samsung might be a little better since it has two sets of a/v outputs. Neither of them have DD output (that's further down the line).

Are there any other benefits to one or the other I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Peace,
    Aristides

2. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm looking into DirecTV receivers as well. We will probably be getting one RCA receiver when we get our dish (that's what the local dealer sells) but I'll also need a receiver for my TV in my room, and I'd like a decent Dolby Digital capable receiver. How much do these run and where can I get one?
    Aristides: Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread... [​IMG]
    P.S. I just read in another thread that RCA is junk. Should I steer clear of an RCA receiver? Another store here has Hughes receivers. I'm not sure if our very small Sears store has DirecTV or not.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Most people here will recommend the DirecTivo if you are getting a standard def sat receiver. Since you have the 55311, you should also get an HD sat receiver. I've got both a DirecTivo and a Hughes E86 connected to my 55411.

4. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

I'd recommend hooking up both receivers and testing the menu system on each. Look for things like response speed, favorite channel lists and other features. Some of these thing might not be obvious from the start but you will find that each reciever will have pros/cons when it comes to functionality. They should both provide quality output but the ease of use can be vastly different.

The first Sat receiver I had was a Houghes box. It had a fast menu system and a nice nine option favorite channel box. I then purchased a Sony DirecTivo unit. While I absolutley love the Tivo, I really don't like how slow the menu system functions and miss the favorite channel box a ton.

Just my $.02

5. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

One of the dealers here has RCA boxes, one has Hughes boxes... the place that is selling the RCA boxes has them for $99 for a box and a 1-meter dish, and extra receivers are also $99.

The Hughes place has the box/dish combo for $99, but it's $69 for additional boxes.

Are the Hughes boxes quite a bit better quality wise than the RCA, even though they cost less (the RCA place does overcharge quite a bit for a lot of its electronics though)

Brian

6. Aristides

Aristides Agent

[​IMG]
    BrianShort-I don't mind the piggyback thread...Sony has a DD Receiver for about $170.00. Of course this is at an outlet store. I'd imagine that a normal DD rec. would run closer to $200.
    I'm going to hook up both receivers today and see which one I like better.
    I did not get DirecTivo nor did I get an HD dish. Money was an issue since the HD Dish was like $150 and I got an entire (start-up) system for $50.
    I do plan on eventually upgrading to HD.
    I'll post as to which system I prefer.
    Thanks for the input!
    Peace,
    Aristides

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Grant,
    You probably have a standalone Tivo, not a DirecTivo.

The standalone unit will record off a separate DirecTV receiver, cable tv, or an antenna. It takes the analog signal from these sources, digitizes it for recording on the hard drive, then converts it back to analog for display, resulting in varying degrees of artifacting according to what "speed" or picture quality you set it for.

DirecTivo will only record off DirecTV, not any other source. It records the digital bitstream directly from the receiver, prior to any digital to analog conversion, so what it records is exactly the same quality as what one would see from a non-recording DirecTV receiver. There's only one Digital to analog conversion and it's identical to the one done by a regular DirecTV receiver. For this reason, there are no selectable "speeds" or quality settings on the DirecTivo. Picture quality of live tv or recordings is exactly the same as it would be if it were just a standard DirecTV receiver.

I have a standalone Tivo, and it's picture quality even on best is not pretty on an HD-ready set, so I don't use it any more. I would not have this problem with a DirecTivo, but can't get my locals on DirecTV in my area. So I'm back to an HD-capable DirecTV receiver and SVHS VCR.

I don't know if DirecTV's HD stuff is available in Alaska, but if it is I see no sense in getting a non-HD capable receiver to go with an HD-capable set, unless you can get HD from OTA local sources.