What's new

Satellite radio is king. (1 Viewer)

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I joined the XM family late last year and I never looked back. The initial concept of paying for radio might have sounded silly, but I can't imagine ever going back to FM. I currently have two subscriptions: a SkyFi unit at home, and another one that transports between my car and my office - so I'm almost never without it. The XM PCR sounded so interesting, but I haven't found the immediate need for it. However, I did pick up the boombox so the SkyFi can come with me even if I don't have a cradle around. Yes, I'm sick. :)

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
OK Joey, you started this,....so, why should I pay for radio? I don't know alot about it, but I have an open mind and I am curious. so....

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I was probably one of the most unlikely XM subscribers. I rarely even listened to FM simply because in NYC - there was a lack of genre as well as those commercials that never end. The stations seemed so manufactured and it just kept me away. I was aware of XM for a bit, but it wasn't until the Delphi SkyFi unit caught my eye at a local Best Buy. (Nice rhyme, eh.) I heard some of the preview channels that were on and decided to give it a try - especially because I would be able to use the SkyFi not only in the car, but at home as well.

1. Genre selection: Whatever particular music you like, you'll find a channel tailored to it. You are no longer at the whim of what the local broadcasters choose based on their arbitron ratings. From Broadway to Metal to Jazz to Classical, etc.

2. Commercials: Many channels on XM are commercial free, while the others have a fraction of the amount you'd find on an FM station. Even further, Sirius doesn't have any commercials on their music stations.

3. Reception: Well, since the signal is digitally broadcast, you either get a clean signal, or you don't. None of this fade-in/out with FM. Many metropolitan areas also have "repeaters" to transmit the signal in the event you are blocked from the satellite signal, so that you can enjoy continuous reception.

4. Interactivity: Since they are not bound to any ratings, these satellite radio companies actually listen to their customers. XM offers interactivity with their DJs on an unprecedented level.

5. Sound Quality: This is debatable. I find the sound quality to be exceptional and superior to FM - especially at home when I can really hear it without the external noise. It is not CD-quality, but I agree with the assessment that it is near-CD quality. However, some have found otherwise and since this is a subjective category - I'll leave this at that.

6. Selection: This sort of coincides with Genre, but the music libraries are quite deep for whatever genre you are interested in. Not just "top40" narrow playlists - unless you are on a channel tailored to that. Uncensored tracks, live performances, etc.

7. Display: You get artist and track information on your display so you are never lost as to what you are listening to.

These are the reasons off the top of my head as to why I decided to join the XM family. The mere fact that you could find a channel devoted to what you wanted to listen to was almost enough. (I mean, where else can you find a Broawday music channel??) Satellite radio might not be for everyone, but it re-introduced radio to me in a way that I barely remember FM ever was. For my $$$, it was/is worth it.

Ps. Ron, we've become a cult, haven't we. LOL!

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Let me chime in.

First, if you are someone who has to be in total control of your music; XM might not be for you. I'm talking about people who have a ton of CDs and MP3 easily at their disposal.

If you're perfectly happy with 20 to 25 minutes per hour of ads, edited songs, and repetitive narrow play lists then keep FM.

However with XM you have a lot of ad-free stations, and the ones that do only have about a minute or two per hour. There's always something on to listen to; I know there's times with the 5 or 6 decent FM stations in St. Louis that every single freekin' one has ads running. Plus nationwide coverage. I made the 12 hour drive to New Orleans and never once did I have to rescan for new stations or give up because I couldn't pick up anything up.

Even though I've had XM for 3 months I constantly hear old songs that I haven't heard for a long, long while.

Let me ask you this Joel; do you pay for cable or satellite TV? If you do: why?

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Hehe, Dave, of course I thought about what answers I might get to my question, so I must say I was expecting the cable/satellite TV statement :D But seriously, thank you Dave and Joey for your input, you certainly have fueled my interest further. I need to hit the stores and demo some XM equipment so I can figure out what I think of Satellite Radio. Someone call a psychologist, I need help for my growing addiction to technology!! Example: I was excited tonight to go food shopping because my local supermarket now has portable computers hooked to the carriages that help you shop! And this excites me! And now I'm looking into the possibility of paying for Radio! I need Help!

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Try and find a decent store that has everything hooked up and all of the stations available. Some seem to have only a demo setup where a few "demo" stations are running.

My recommendation is to go with the Delphi SkiFi setup; the most flexibity and the best technology.

Paying for radio is not crazy: it's the best $9.99 per month I've ever spent.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I second the excellent 'service' by the guys running the stations. If you head over to http://www.xmfan.com you can send song request via e-mail to the DJ (if there is a DJ manning the station at the time.)

I requested an Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets song for he Blues Channel and it was the VERY NEXT song the DJ played. It was pretty cool.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The initial setup fee is $9.99 if you sign up on line: $14.99 if you call in. The monthly fee is $9.99 per month with up to additional units in your household for $6.99 each.

Hardware can vary widely. In-dash units for your car run around $200. However the favorite item right now is the Delphi Ski-Fi unit.
  • The radio unit is about $129.99.
  • The boombox is about $100
  • The home connector or the car connector ar $69.99 each and include the antenae.
I went all out and bought everything; my cost was about $400.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There are also various deals out there for equipment that pop up every once in a while. I got on one for free equipment (Audiovox) for signing up with Sirius for a year commitment. The deal is over now.

I've also seen deals for $99 for XM equipment (I think it was Ski-Fi, but not sure), and rebates from manufacturers.

Jason

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it's time for the "PCR Preacher" to chime in:

If you want to listen to it at home through your computer, or your computer is near your stereo (or you have a laptop in your car), get the XM PCR for only $69 in hardware costs...

And I agree with the above reasons for paying for radio...

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I just don't get it, but I guess I'm not their target anyway. I enjoy high end home theater (movies) and music, but still can't see paying $10 a month for radio. I can live with commercials for the 20 minute commute I make every day to work and back. I listen to the local sports channel, as they cover the teams I am interested in. I'm glad you guys are happy, but a big "no thanks" for me, I have enough bills a month without paying for radio.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I can certainly understand that point of view, but maybe I can give an analogy you understand.

Why would I be interested in a $5000 projector when my $600 tube TV can view movies just fine? Or Why would I want to spend $400 on an HD receiver when my regular DirecTV looks just fine. Or Why would I want to spend $500 on a DD or DTS receiver when my DPL receiver works just fine? Or Why would I pay cable $50 a month, when my OTA works just fine?

In each of these cases, the people who ask those questions have perfectly valid points. But for those of us with the home theater bug, we know that if we can just get them to try it, they'll be hooked and will understand.

So I'm your 'dealer' here just saying "come on, kid, try it, you don't know what you are missing" :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
but still can't see paying $10 a month for radio.
I can. I can see it for people who make long trips, which involves changing radio stations. I can see it for people who don't like the local radio stations. I can see it for people who want to listen to particular genres of music that their local radio stations don't cover. There are a lot of good reasons why I'd think people would want Satelite radio, and probably isn't for everyone.

I'm still trying to decide if it is for me. While I like the idea, Sirius doesn't quite cover the genres that I probably listen to the most (Power Metal/Progressive Rock). Also, while they do play new music on some of the stations, it is still limited to artists that were popular in the past, or mandated by the record company to be played. Satelite radio should be a force to try to find some of the smaller artists that get ignored by radio here..

Jason

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Satelite radio should be a force to try to find some of the smaller artists that get ignored by radio here..
I don't know if you are aware, but XM has an "Unsigned" channel that only plays small bands. Its actually quite good. The only problem is you can't buy their albums if you like it. :laugh:

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
How's this for a profile: I don't have cable TV, I don't have a cell phone, I don't pay for broadband*, I don't pay monthly fees to play on games despite being a heavy gamer, etc.

All that and I am a HUGE satalitte radio fan. I refuse to waste my money on things I don't need. I drive a lot and satalitte radio has virtually become that need. I can't stand normal radio any longer. Satalitte radio is just that good, for me.

*have access through school

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks