What's new

Satellite Picture on a FP (1 Viewer)

Domonic A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Domonic Ableidinger
I am starting to look at all the different front projectors for my basement. Can anyone tell me what sort of picture quality I can expect from my satellite dish?

Thanks,
Domonic

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
On Standard Def images (normal channels), the bigger the picture, the more you see the compression artifacts. What looks good on a 32 inch tv doesn't look that great on a 110 inch picture.

Now on HD pictures, you can't get big enough.

If you plan on watching a lot of regular TV on an FP, I would highly recommend seeing it before you buy it to see if it is good enough for you. It doesn't bother me at all, but it might you...

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
If you're referring to the small digital dishes like Directv or Dish, the picture quality on standard definition channels varies from very poor (worse than VHS) to pretty good (not too far from an s-video connected DVD player). The satellite providers compress some channels (the more obscure channels, for the most part) alot more than others, which greatly reduces their picture quality. Also, some of the channels have really poor feeds to begin with even before compression. I've had both Directv and Dish, and when I switched providers about 4 years ago, Dish seemed to have slightly better picture quality. Things might have changed since then, though.
A large projection TV will magnify the compression artifacts. I noticed them alot more when I went from a 27" to a 60".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks