Satellite PC ISP options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dougW, Dec 30, 2001.

1. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have satellite service installed? Anyone have 2 way satellite? DirecDuo?

If you have DirecDuo, does it have a LAN connection on it, so you can connect through a router???

Please tell me your company that has your system, and your satisfaction level. Fast, please, as I may need to make a decision on DirecPC by tomorrow to save 75.00 on the up front purchase.

I just don't want to buy into this for a year unless I know it's worth a "crap". This will be 1 way satellite with 56K uploads.

I have no DSL option, and Cable is no longer an option for 3-6 months at least until the cable network is upgraded. Comcast/Excite problem got me. Excite is closing, and they handled Comcast's hybrid modem service. With Comcast's new network, there is no hybrid, only 2 way cable.

thanks,

Lex

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Doug!
    I have Starband which is affiliated with Dishnetwork and like it much better than the Directpc which I used to have. I switched as soon as Starband offered 2 way connections.
    Gaming sucks, but for general surfing and down loading, Starband works very nicely. (Though not near as nice as my office's T1 lines [​IMG] )
    Gregg

3. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Wow, now that's fast service! Thanks Gregg, I am reading about Starband now. Looks promising! Will post my comments later on...

Thanks!

Doug

4. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

It does look good Gregg, but that price tag, ouch. 549.00 one time fee, surcharges if you don't get the dish network TV programming, ouch, ouch. I do realize you could do away with the 2nd phone line with it, but it does have a heavy price tag. Especially considering in 3-6 months Cable may be available for my area.

What were the pitfalls of the DirecPC Gregg? Anybody else with comments?

Doug

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Philip, thanks for the link. As a result, I discovered there is a new satellite alternative, DirecWAY. 2 way satellite in conjunction with DirecTV, so one dish can do it all with Directv and DirecWAY.

Still investigating!

Doug