What's new

Satellite Options Help! (1 Viewer)

JoshSi

Auditioning
After having my HDTV for awhile now and not having any HD programming to watch I figure it's time to get a satellite.
The problem is I'm not sure what to get which is better Directv or Dish Network. I read somewhere that you can watch all the over the air HD channels organized in the same guide as your satellite channels on directv, is that also true with dish.

I just really want to know which you would recommend and also which one would be cheaper in the long run (extra equipment they dont tell you about sort of thing)

Also I already have a 160 hour Tivo that I would like to use with it, how much of a headache is that gonna be.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are going with a regular HD receiver and want to use the Tivo also, it's not easy. You can't use any Tivo functions when watching HD. You also want to get a receiver that will output HD and SD at the same time. Your Tivo will record a blank screen if you forget to switch from HD to SD mode. Your Tivo will not automatically tune to HD channels that have a dash (21-1). So getting an SD version of a local HD program will require you to manully set up the recording. DirecTV does offer combination DirecTV/Tivo units with dual tuners in both HD and SD models.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They have regular dual LNB's, the Twin LNB (two duals with a two output switch), the Quad LNB (two duals with a four output switch) and now the DishPro LNB's. Each set of LNB's only work with a certain type switch. You can buy the equipment for a dual room setup but you will have to scrap your Twin LNB if you want to upgrade to a four room setup. DirecTV's choice of dishes, LNB's and switches is much easier to use.

-Robert

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Sorry,...I don't mean to sound stupid but I am I guess about this. What is an LNB and SWITCH? What do they do?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Low Noise Block Frequency converter
Multi-switches

The LNB collects the relected signal off the dish pan and converts it to electrical signals. Switches are a little more complicated. See the two outputs on the LNB. That means it can be connected to two tuners. Either in separate receiver or a dual tuner receiver. If you have more than two tuners, you need to either get another dish (you don't want your house to look like NASA) or you get a 2x4 switch. The two outputs of the LNB go to the two inputs of the switch. Now you have four outputs. You can get switched with up to 16 outputs. There are 3 intput models that will carry OTA and sat signals. There are four input models for multi-sat dishes. There are four input models that are cascadable with the internal switch of the Phase III dish. There are four input models for an 18" dish and a second 18" dish pointed at the 72.5 satellite. There are 6 input cascadable switches for the Phase III dish and an 18" dish pointed at 72.5. Basically, there's a switch for every situation. Dish has similar confusing switch setups but you sometimes have to switch LNB's also to get the switch you need.

-Robert

JoshSi

Auditioning
Thanks for all your help robert.

One more question if you don't mind,
Will my Tivo be able to switch the satellite by itself to record non HD programming like it can with my friends digital cable.

And in your opinion would it be better to buy a new directivo type solution and ebay my current tivo or keep what I have and save the money.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tivos with lifetime fetch a very good price on eBay. Upgraded models get a better price than that. You can get a DirecTivo for free as a new subscriber. You will probably have enough money to purchase an HD receiver. Value Electronics and Solid Signal will put together custom packages for new subscribers.

I use a DirecTivo and a HD receiver connected to the same TV. It's nice but I like the convenience of the DirecTivo so much that I hardly watch anything in HD. I'll probaly be switching to the HD DirecTivo around the first of the year.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks